Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buttercups / Forefront T

Options
  • 19-02-2019 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

This is a double barrelled question.... Firstly, I have a field that was very bad with patches of buttercups last year. I intend spraying them this year. Any advice on what sprays work well on buttercups, and anything else relevant to the control of buttercups?
    Secondly, I noticed that Forefront T is recommended for spraying buttercups, but for some reason you are not supposed to use it on ground that will be used for hay or silage...Why is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve long been told that excess buttercups is a sign of a fertility issue, if that’s the case spraying pesticides to mask a fertility issue is not a great solution. Maybe others can comment on this.

I’m presuming the spray either affects preservation of the grass or residues will be passed to stock in the feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TalkingBull

hopeso wrote: »
    This is a double barrelled question.... Firstly, I have a field that was very bad with patches of buttercups last year. I intend spraying them this year. Any advice on what sprays work well on buttercups, and anything else relevant to the control of buttercups?
    Secondly, I noticed that Forefront T is recommended for spraying buttercups, but for some reason you are not supposed to use it on ground that will be used for hay or silage...Why is this?

if you spread that slurry which comes from your hay/silage, on potato ground youll have no potatoes!!, and i think it takes 2 years for the residue from spray to disappear ifykwim, or so im told.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TalkingBull

i sprayed with Envy last year for buttercup and chickweed and was happy with the results,
    ForefrontT is good too but expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Buttercup's are a sign of low PH on land. If you spray and do not address the PH issue they will be back. If you soil test the ground ( now is an ideal time to soil test) it will show you the issue.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Forefront is far too expensive for buttercups. mCPA gives a good kill on it.

The problem with using Forefrong on silage ground is that it will turn up in the slurry and if that’s goes on any kind of veg crop you’ll have no crop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Thanks for the replies.... The field in question could probably do with lime alright, but I still wouldn't mind spraying it, as it will be autumn before it sees lime. I also think the last couple of wet years, particularly last year, are partially to blame. As for the spray turning up in the slurry, I wouldn't be too concerned about that, so long as it doesn't harm the livestock passing through them. The field in question would only produce a small percentage of my silage, and all slurry would be going out on grass.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭Grueller

Buttercup's are a sign of low PH on land. If you spray and do not address the PH issue they will be back. If you soil test the ground ( now is an ideal time to soil test) it will show you the issue.

MCPA will only knock down buttercup but they will be back. Lime and forefront and say goodbye to them and any docks as an added bonus.

Advertisement