Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suitable bike carrier for saloon

Options
  • 17-02-2019 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭

I just signed up for the bike to work scheme and went for a merida scultura 300. Good choice for starting out folks?

Anyway, I have a saloon car and am looking for a good, stable bike carrier that can take 3 bikes. I do have a hitch as well if that makes the options easier, which I'm guessing it does. Not really interested in roof mounted holders at all. Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-racks/towbar-mounted-bike-racks

3 different types here.
    I've been using the cheapest option for years but only for two bikes. No problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

If you have a hitch, use it. Much faster to install and more stable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The scissors type rack is very handy to keep in the boot full-time. Takes up minimal space and does the job nicely. You do need to have a trailer light bar if you have multiple bikes up.
    The platform type rack takes up a lot more storage space but is maybe handier on long trips and typically has lights built in. It often tilts to allow boot access while loaded.

The scissors rack is much quicker to deploy (~15 sec).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Use one with the hitch. I can't advise which one, but it is the handiest option. I don't have a hitch and use one with straps that's a pain in the hole to get on and off.

My auld has a hitch on his car and it's incredibly easy to use and convenient with the scissors type rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I have just changed car to a hatchback and my current saloon type three bike carrier doesn't fit, so I have one for sale, if you are Dublin based you can even just try it out to see if that style suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭plodder

kenmc wrote: »
    If you have a hitch, use it. Much faster to install and more stable
    .. faster, more stable and (the deal clincher for me) no part of the carrier or any bike carried there on, touches the precious paint work ...

473585.jpg

473586.jpg

473587.jpg

This is the rack I was mentioning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

plodder wrote: »
    .. faster, more stable and (the deal clincher for me) no part of the carrier or any bike carried there on, touches the precious paint work ...
    Wait, what? You care about your car? Pfft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭plodder

kenmc wrote: »
    Wait, what? You care about your car? Pfft.
    It's actually my wife's car. The deal was me being allowed to put bikes on it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

wheelo01 wrote: »
    473585.jpg

This is the rack I was mentioning

I got something like that from Halfords and the foam pads moved whilst i was transporting a bike and the boot got scratched.

They basically moved closer together and the bare edge of the rack was laying down on the boot.

• Advertisement

In the couple of years I've owned it, it has never moved, thankfully.
    I've never tried move the pads, but during any handling, they have never moved.

Advertisement