Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a tired old question

Options
  • 07-02-2019 2:00pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭

probably need to swap the tyres on my genesis out soon; they're four years old and i've done 9k+ on them, plus another 2k or 4k (can't remember which the previous owner of the bike had put on them), so they don't owe me anything.

apart from GP4000s or 5000s, what do people favour these days for good all-rounders? i'd want some puncture protection as it'll be my (two days a week) commuting bike they'll be going on, but that gets taken out on leisure spins quite often too, and is my go-to bike in the winter.

a chap in 360 recommended bontrager AW2s for about 60% of the cost of the GP5000s.
    the tyres currently on the bike are continental grand sports, and i've been happy with them - two punctures in the time i've been using them, and one of those was a pinch flat caused by me letting the pressure get too low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Continental 4 Season - Im using them all winter and excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’ve been using Vittoria Corsa G+ since last July. Not a problem with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

For a road tyre with some puncture protection, I've had good experience with Durano plus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I’ve been using Vittoria Corsa G+ since last July. Not a problem with them.
    are they generally more race oriented?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

are they generally more race oriented?

No idea. I’ve been using them for leisure and commuting. Now my commute is only between 12-14km each day depending on route. I prefer them over the GP4000s II I had on before. I check the pressure once a week to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Armadillos
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/All-Condition-Armadillo-Elite-Road-Clincher-Tyre-700c/3EJN

They trade a little comfort for huge protection and grip is on par with the new 5000s (which are very good).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Schwalbe Durano plus, with smart guard.

Much prefer these over contis which I don’t rate st all.

About 40% cheaper than gp5000

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-durano-plus-folding-tyre-smartguard/rp-prod128939

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

You'll do well to beat marathon plus for puncture protection. I don't like them though as I find they have a lack of grip in certain situations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, i have a pair of marathon plus i bought off weepsie, with a bit of use on them. i've not tried them yet, partly because i hear they're beasts to get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Swear by Panaracer Ribmo. Got roughly 10k out if a set without any puncture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You'll do well to beat marathon plus for puncture protection. I don't like them though as I find they have a lack of grip in certain situations.

try the Durano, they've better grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

jamesd wrote: »
    Continental 4 Season - Im using them all winter and excellent.

Seconded.

so two votes for GP 4 seasons
    one for Vittoria Corsa G
    two for Durano Plus
    one for specialized armadillos
    one for panaracer ribmo

no clear leader yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Why change? If the existing ones were good just replace with same?

just seeing what's out there - the last pair were 'chosen' because they were already on the bike, wondering if i could do better.

I'm disappointed MB didn't call the thread "a tyred old question" :p

i thought what would have been too obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Vittoria Corsa g are excellent. I have them on both my bikes . Fantastic grip and fast rolling . No punctures yet on either . Schwalbe one v guard are excellent too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another vote for Schwalbe Durano Plus - I'm averaging a puncture about every 10,000kms on them.

Panaracer Ribmo's are great also but a complete b@stard to get off and on at the roadside on a cold night.

i have a ribmo on one bike and i managed to skin knuckles trying to get it on.

• Advertisement

i managed to skin knuckles trying to get it on.
    i should point out i do not mean this in the marvin gaye sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I have GP 4000s II's on the commuter, used to have ultra sports on the old bike, cant fault either, but prefer the niceness of the 4000s's.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

I have these on my commuter bike. Second pair now.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/lifeline-prime-armour-road-tyre/rp-prod155225

Can't fault them for the price really. I've found puncture protection to be brilliant. They roll ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

i have a ribmo on one bike and i managed to skin knuckles trying to get it on.

I don’t like the feel of them either. I found Durano Plus, although heavy, roll a lot better. Grip better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

It's pretty hard to whack the auld Continental GP4000s. I'll probably put the 5000s on the race/summer bike for this season.

Is there any chance a poll could be put up?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

My $0.02

Vittoria voyager hyper.

Used them for 2 years.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/vittoria-voyager-hyper-2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

cheers, i have a pair of marathon plus i bought off weepsie, with a bit of use on them. i've not tried them yet, partly because i hear they're beasts to get on.

Are they really a bastard to put on? I ordered a pair this week after three punctures in the last month. My tyres are in a sh1te.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Are they really a bastard to put on? I ordered a pair this week after three punctures in the last month. My tyres are in a sh1te.

I put them on both the kids bikes with slime filled tubes recently, couple of decent tyre levers and some patience and they're not so bad. Best done indoors, with a can of beer at your side to ease any initial frustration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

smacl wrote: »
    I put them on both the kids bikes with slime filled tubes recently, couple of decent tyre levers and some patience and they're not so bad. Best done indoors, with a can of beer at your side to ease any initial frustration.

I'll bring a slab into the shed and do it. I won't do it where anyone can hear my wailing and cursing.

I've a long history of snapping tyre levers. :(

Advertisement