Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pixel 3 thread, featuring 'The Notch'

Options
  • 18-08-2018 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

Jesus, that really is big.

2v19fva.png

pixel-3-xl-specs.jpg

Not far away from launch now anyway but it's pretty much out there already. The 4GB RAM and single camera have left lots of people underwhelmed but I'll trust them, for now, anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Really? thats a Pixel 3? in 2018? wow thats ugly.
    Looks more like a concept or generic hardware reference design so they can test the hardware in public without giving the game away, hope it is anyway.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Beach Fuzz

It’s a no from me dawg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm only interested in the non XL to buy so no notch but I would love to have seen what they would have done with dual rear cameras, and I have zero interest in one front camera, let alone two or three.

That said, I'm 90% sure I'll be buying it :pac:

• Advertisement

Another few hands on photos today and the same person shared photos taken with it on their Instagram.

They could nearly make the status bar at the top two lines high now. Would be a good way to use the space.

https://twitter.com/wylsacom/status/1032225048285855744

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

If you could turn that notch off like the p20 it wouldn't be to bad. Bezel dont bother me. I was about to pull the trigger on the note 9. Going to wait and see this first. I regretted getting the note 8 last year and not waiting for the pixel 2.

Finally some images of the smaller one.

Mpxh48I.jpg

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-3

And the specs:

obeqQck.jpg

google-pixel-3-xl-render.jpg

google-pixel-3-xl-render-back.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

These are ugly looking phones.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    These are ugly looking phones.

They're not great, but I still don't see anything that would stop me buying the small one. Same size as the one I have with a bigger screen than the one I have, and with Googles apps. I'd have liked something a bit more out there with the rear camera setup though.

It's funny how these leaks everywhere of these ugly AF devices with a massive notch was meant to be a fake out by Google. Would have to laugh if that's how they actually turn out.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's funny how these leaks everywhere of these ugly AF devices with a massive notch was meant to be a fake out by Google. Would have to laugh if that's how they actually turn out.

I don't think they could do it in this day and age. The 'real' one would have leaked about 15 minutes after the fake.

I think the rumour came from one of the shouty Youtube channels when they were asked by Google for their footage.

_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Having bought the Pixel 1 I'm in need of an upgrade (battery life) I really wanted to get the small Pixel 3 but could they have offered a more bla phone (or at least from the leaks we're getting) or are they saving some surprises for the big reveal???

Anyone in a similar position?
    (having the Pixel 1 and needing an upgrade)

youngblood wrote: »
    Having bought the Pixel 1 I'm in need of an upgrade (battery life) I really wanted to get the small Pixel 3 but could they have offered a more bla phone (or at least from the leaks we're getting) or are they saving some surprises for the big reveal???

Anyone in a similar position?
    (having the Pixel 1 and needing an upgrade)

You never keep things under wraps in this day and age so don't expect any surprises at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Any surprises left Google?

Not sure whether I will upgrade from P2 to this at the moment...

The small one looks bang on to me, though the notch wouldn't put me off if I was going for a bigger phone. Be nice to have the USB-C headphones too and it's probably going to tick the most boxes for me from any upcoming release. Definitely changing anyway, even though the Pixel 2 has been the best phone I've ever owned by an absolute mile.

If they priced the small one at €500 and the big one at €600, it would be about right. Anything more than that shows very little value.

Basil3 wrote: »
    If they priced the small one at €500 and the big one at €600, it would be about right. Anything more than that shows very little value.

It does depending on what you want from a phone. People even pay 4 figures for phones that come with iOS installed on them, but that's all they want so it's justified.

I'd be happy paying €900 for the 3XL if it has sufficient improvements from the 2, which I'd be very confident it will.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    The small one looks bang on to me, though the notch wouldn't put me off if I was going for a bigger phone. Be nice to have the USB-C headphones too and it's probably going to tick the most boxes for me from any upcoming release. Definitely changing anyway, even though the Pixel 2 has been the best phone I've ever owned by an absolute mile.

Half tempted to upgrade because I can afford to this time, I'm personally more into smaller phones, I was using a one plus two (I think?) as my non XL Pixel 2 was RMA'd last week and I found it huge in my hands, so if I was upgrading I probably again would go for the smaller one...

Any idea what a good price for a standard 2 would be to sell it at? 450? 500?

I assume this will come out around 700ish again?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Half tempted to upgrade because I can afford to this time, I'm personally more into smaller phones, I was using a one plus two (I think?) as my non XL Pixel 2 was RMA'd last week and I found it huge in my hands, so if I was upgrading I probably again would go for the smaller one...

Any idea what a good price for a standard 2 would be to sell it at? 450? 500?

I assume this will come out around 700ish again?

I'm not sure as I've never sold a phone, but I'd imagine it'd be a hard sell in this country as people wouldn't have a clue what it was. Maybe check CeX, if they list it, and then add on 10-15% as your sell price on DD/Adverts?

I'd say the small one will be around €700 at launch yeah.

I'm not sure as I've never sold a phone, but I'd imagine it'd be a hard sell in this country as people wouldn't have a clue what it was. Maybe check CeX, if they list it, and then add on 10-15% as your sell price on DD/Adverts?

I'd say the small one will be around €700 at launch yeah.

242 cash for the XL on CEX, they sell for 425, crikey...

Privately is the way to go alright I'd say, I paid 620 UK for it a few weeks after release, so I'd say 4 - 450 would be around the mark....

As this is my newer one, sure I only got it Thursday... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Save to assume this won't go on sale on the irish Google store? But its no biggy with the ability to buy through the uk store correct?

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Save to assume this won't go on sale on the irish Google store? But its no biggy with the ability to buy through the uk store correct?

I think you can these days, near sure that's how I bought the cover for my Pixel 2. CPW up in Norn will have them too but for the last two phones they've only had the small at launch and the XL was a few weeks behind.

There's the video clips they asked permission to use anyway. Not sure what they're planning but I still reckon the physical phones will be exactly what we've seen.

https://twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1049335342598434817

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

There's the video clips they asked permission to use anyway. Not sure what they're planning but I still reckon the physical phones will be exactly what we've seen.

https://twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1049335342598434817

I'm going to the US next week. Wondering what the chances are of being able to buy a pixel 3xl? Are they sold at launch in any shops like best buy?

I'm going to the US next week. Wondering what the chances are of being able to buy a pixel 3xl? Are they sold at launch in any shops like best buy?

They are but normally you won't see the phones available for sale for a few weeks after the launch event. Maybe they'll have them straight away this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

They are but normally you won't see the phones available for sale for a few weeks after the launch event. Maybe they'll have them straight away this year though.

Seeing as a shop already selling in HK... Finger's crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

sentient_6 wrote: »

Will be available via Vodafone I believe

Advertisement