Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamonn Magee

Options
  • 22-05-2018 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been reading his book? What an insane story like, he had a punishment shooting when he was a young lad and ended up bleeding all over the ring while winning the Ulster title. He was also held at gunpoint in South Armagh while training for the Hatton fight due to him getting smashed and roaring around the boreens in a customised jeep p*ssed out of his mind. The amount of sh*t he put his body through, it's amazing he could compete at such a level for such a long time. Absolute madness.

Do people think he could have gone farther if he wasn't such a maniac?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I read a detailed article on this in the Irish Times a few days ago....mad stuff

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/eamonn-magee-on-being-shot-by-the-ira-alcoholism-and-world-titles-1.3487773

Gone farther? Maybe, but not much farther. I watched him through his amateur days and pro days. His talent levels were what they were.
    He sure did give Hatton a fright...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Second captains did a podcast interview with him about a fortnight ago which was very uncomfortable to listen to.
    He seems to be very unhinged to say the least and a chronic alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Eamonn Magee has intrigued me for a long time. Now that there's a book out about him I'm definitely going to read it, just to see what the hell turned him into the lunatic he very obviously is and was.

Two things I remember 'back in the day' about him were when I asked a local man (since deceased) who had just been to the USA with an Irish Senior amateur team as team manager how it went his response was something like "well we had nine lovely lads.... and Eamonn Magee". Basically he was a nightmare to handle, even as an amateur. The other was when I was down in Westport for a Connacht Boy/Youth championships and Magee was introduced at some point along with his WBU belt. Got a big round of applause and signed a few autographs. Then he popped outside - and had a cigarette! It mightn't seem like much, but I remember wondering how the hell a fella like that could hope to compete at world level while smoking. And doing it in front of a whole bunch of young boxers who would be looking up to him?

Bearing in mind he was a World Junior Silver medalist at a time when Ireland just simply didn't win international medals anywhere, I really believe he could have been an outstanding boxer if he had truly applied himself. Very fast hands, rock hard chin, hard puncher (if a bit sloppy at times), good stamina and pretty much fearless.

He has to go down as a serious underachiever, but maybe he has overachieved by simply staying alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I think any follower of Irish boxing will always be intrigued by Magee. Questions will abound about how far he could have gone but he can classify himself as a World Champion despite the lack of prestige of the WBU crown. 

I have just finished the free sample on ibooks so definitely will be buying the book. Stories are legion about him and if anyone has been to the Ardoyne you know its not an area to be messing in. The death of his son is heartbreaking though especially seeing how much time the murderer got.

From the city that brought us tragic superstars like George Best and Akex Higgins it seems Magee might be following their footsteps. I sincerely hope he finds some peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

I met him briefly at a white collar boxing event he was running, a mutual friend introduced us and he was ultra friendly despite the fact he was right in the middle of a very big show and had a million and one things to do. I'll always appreciate him taking the time to talk to me and the other lad that was introduced.

I'm picking this book up shortly. I'm of the belief there are two versions of the man. The friendly gentleman and then the one that ran around getting in trouble all the time and was taking a lot of drink and drugs. He is from a very dodgy area that is still dodgy to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just finished this book and it's a great read. Great story and superbly written.

Magee is the ultimate loose cannon. I just don't know how he's still alive. From the way the book finishes I don't hold out much hope for him in the long term either, but I hope he somehow finds peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i had a couple of lengthy chats with him....while back...before his son died.
    he doesnt like talking about the hatton fight...mention him putting hatton down and he'll say - "but i wasnt good enough to keep the fcuker down though"
    he also said he was the main trainer in breens gym and didnt get enough credit.
    he didnt get on with people i noticed just by objecting to the look of them, i was surprised thinking afterwards about that how relaxed he spoke with me...he tried to start trouble with a friend i was with one night because he didnt like the look of "his dander".
    awful thing about his son though.
    i must read the book.

Advertisement