Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best kebab in dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I think the council can restrict take aways in the planning permission they give. That would be a big loss to a restaurant with the proliferation of delivery services like Just Eat and Deliveroo. I know some restaurants in the Docklands now do almost as many take aways as sit ins.

It's a healthy kebab joint. I'd say not doing takeaways is a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The march of kebab shops into suburbia continues- Zaytoon are opening in Ranelagh soon a couple of doors down from Milanos

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Grill 34 or whatever the latest iteration of that eatery was called is currently being gutted. No doubt it'll be back. Its always back, always yummy.

The march of kebab shops into suburbia continues- Zaytoon are opening in Ranelagh soon a couple of doors down from Milanos

Opening in Dundrum too i heard.

Ate in Passion 4 Food a few days ago, delicious as always. There is a new place opened up right next door called Istanbul, must give it a try next time out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Not many mentions of falafel in teme bar here. What do you guys think who have tried it? It's so delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Anyone tried out The shawarma company on dame street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Anyone tried out The shawarma company on dame street?

Yes. It’s excellent. Very authentic Lebanese style joint. Limited menu but the real deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Not technically a kebab but Yeeros in Drumcondra does top class Greek Gyros

Also does anyone know anything about this massive feud between Zaytoon and Dublin Kebab Club? Worrying stuff. Zaytoin have released a statement but nothing from DKC so far
    https://www.zaytoon.ie/proudofwhatwedo

The row probably refers to these posts on Dublin Kebab Clubs Instagram-
    This photo was sent in by Johnny Maher. Taken on the 16th of August in Zaytoon in Swords. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is cheap, frozen, bought in processed meat? ���� Stewards inquiry?
    The DKC Official “Golden Circle” the only bab shops in the greater Dublin area that serve fresh, non- processed doner/gyro meat and freshly baked bread. In no particular order:
    Passion4Food, Clanbrassil and Camden St
    Pasha, Dorset St
    Kebab House, Phibsborough
    Yeeros, Glasnevin
    They must also “meat” DKC’s strict criteria of levels of quality, cleanliness, value and service. Thanks, DKC, “The Official Voice Of Dublin Kebabers”.

Seems the blogger/influencer behind Dublin Kebab Club is insinuating that Zaytoon are using frozen processed meat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

Also does anyone know anything about this massive feud between Zaytoon and Dublin Kebab Club? Worrying stuff. Zaytoin have released a statement but nothing from DKC so far
    https://www.zaytoon.ie/proudofwhatwedo

I just had a look at that, pretty crazy! In fairness Dublin kebab club have self-appointed themselves as the great authority on all things kebab, but to be honest, having eaten in all the top 10 places I just think zaytoon is the best. Not that the others aren't great, but it's zaytoon for me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair play to zaytoon for addressing the issues.

Yeah Im wondering whats going on. I havent eaten in Zaytoon in about a year but it was still pretty decent the last time I had it.

I heard off a restaurant manager before that you have these 'influencers' going around looking for free food for them and their mates in return for a post on Instagram. So they're not exactly objective in what they're posting when they're getting free food in exchange for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Quite fond of yeeros myself but not sure I would call their location Drumcondra

Phibsboro for me , could argue they are just the other side of the canal and that makes them Glasnevin , but Drumcondra is a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yeah Im wondering whats going on. I havent eaten in Zaytoon in about a year but it was still pretty decent the last time I had it.

I heard off a restaurant manager before that you have these 'influencers' going around looking for free food for them and their mates in return for a post on Instagram. So they're not exactly objective in what they're posting when they're getting free food in exchange for it.

Well the Dublin Kebab Club certainly isn't an 'influencer' with a fairly pathetic 907 followers. The post that offended Zaytoon attracted a whopping 7 likes.

If they asked for free food I'm sure telling them to fukc off wouldn't do too much damage to your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just to declare my own view.

Passion for food is my fave in the city

Zaytoon ain’t bad for what ya get.

I do agree with his post on FB that customer service could be improved in zaytoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

If they asked for free food I'm sure telling them to fukc off wouldn't do too much damage to your business.

Almost certainly what happened.

Pathetic influencer asked for free food, was told to jog on.

Now he has his panties in a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm told that they do lovely kebabs in Germany. I'll be in Berlin soon, does anyone have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Can't recommend a kebab place. I kept going back to one on Friedrichstrasse just because I knew what I was getting. My tip. Bring some thermals/hats anything to keep your temperature up. It's damp lowland. You will get a bug if you don't keep your temperature and immune system up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm told that they do lovely kebabs in Germany. I'll be in Berlin soon, does anyone have any recommendations?

It's hard to get a bad Kebab in Berlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

My favourites, roughly in order:

Falafel in Temple Bar - they have a mixed grill of shish kebabs that's the absolute tits. They also do a very nice lamb shawarma sandwich with pickles and stuff - yum!

Kebab House in Phibsboro - lovely lamb shawarma/doner, made of real meat and not the usual elephant leg you get in crappy kebab shops

Passion 4 Food on Clanbrassil St and Camden St - my absolute favourite kebabs in Dublin bar none. Their shish kebabs and shawarma/doner are all excellent, as is the freshly baked bread, and fresh salads. Their chilli sauce has a nice kick to it too.

Iskanders and Zaytoon deserve an honorable mention, and Oasis on North King St is very nice, although that's more of a 'sit down for dinner' type of place than a late night spot where people are falling face-first into their kebabs.

scoobydude wrote: »
    I just had a look at that, pretty crazy! In fairness Dublin kebab club have self-appointed themselves as the great authority on all things kebab, but to be honest, having eaten in all the top 10 places I just think zaytoon is the best. Not that the others aren't great, but it's zaytoon for me
    The row probably refers to these posts on Dublin Kebab Clubs Instagram-

Seems the blogger/influencer behind Dublin Kebab Club is insinuating that Zaytoon are using frozen processed meat

Last time I was in Zaytoon on Parliament St., I had either kubideh or barg, but the lamb spit did look suspiciously like elephant leg, compared to how their spit used to look with clearly distinct pieces of meat stacked on top of one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Spencerfreeman

You're looking for a "Gyros mit alles bitte".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Get a kebab

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the lamb spit did look suspiciously like elephant leg, compared to how their spit used to look with clearly distinct pieces of meat stacked on top of one another.

https://www.facebook.com/zaytoon.restaurants/
    Martin O Hanrahan Why have you started mincing your meat? You never used to do it??

Zaytoon Martin O Hanrahan we haven't changed the way we prepare our doners . It's a mix of marinated minced lamb and the finest cuts of lamb shoulder.

This is the kebab club photo they put up
    71829156_2477808262500260_6861919878446579712_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQnWsMfc8YoW8lO_cd6OWuB3aSXNrqGX44Kp1BPBQbFhs18r-NBbt-a92vyXs1YXazk&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=bb6d4efbd474f0cc41242f2950b192d7&oe=5E1FD2D6

This is zaytoons own photo of their doner
    LambDoner_Day15355WEB.jpg?format=750w

and the mixed doner/chicken
    MixedDoner_DSC5877-copyWEB.jpg?format=1500w
    So the meats look the same to me.

If you want non minced there is a lamb shish
    LambShish_web.jpg?format=1000w

Dublin Kebab Club Steven Judge well if it’s true it’s by their own doing. If true their deceiving people by proclaiming their meat is 100% fresh lamb, when it’s not. They say it’s minced. I mean why the f uck mince it? Would you mince a good steak, no you absolutely wouldn’t. Charging top dollar too for meat that’s literally dirt cheap. Does my head in
    DKC seem to be under the impression nobody would mince it. Asking questions and answering themselves!! Somebody else did too though
    Mihir Patel A couple of points, minced does not necessarily mean processed, some of the very best kebab shops in London, those the Turkish and kurdish communities go to in London are minced. And secondly layers of lamb prices are not necessarily made on the premises, you can buy factory made shawarma sticks which are made in the same factories that make the processes stuff, most of the manufacturers offer a wide range of quality and taste even so much as differing between middle Eastern, (more spice and flavouring) vs Levantine, generally just salt and pepper, maybe onion. And they do various types of meat, ranging from mechanically reclaimed beef and chicken plus filler eg rusk to beef, to lamb to beef and lamb to lamb, and then also the layered stuff. And then there's the chicken....
    Hide or report this
    · Reply · 3d
    Rahim Sawani
    Rahim Sawani Mihir Patel sir, you are a kebab sommelier!
    Hide or report this
    · Reply · 2d

Seems like this Dublin Kebab Club has caused quite a kerfuffle. Wouldnt read much into it, for all we know the photo of the dodgy kebab could be from somewhere else. It doesnt look like anything I've eaten in Zaytoon before and this blogger could have an agenda or the person who sent them the photo could have one.

My favourites, roughly in order:

Falafel in Temple Bar - they have a mixed grill of shish kebabs that's the absolute tits. They also do a very nice lamb shawarma sandwich with pickles and stuff - yum!

I must give Falafel another try. Ate there a couple of years ago and while it wasnt awful I never went back, especially with Zaytoon so close.

Seems like this Dublin Kebab Club has caused quite a kerfuffle. Wouldnt read much into it, for all we know the photo of the dodgy kebab could be from somewhere else. It doesnt look like anything I've eaten in Zaytoon before and this blogger could have an agenda or the person who sent them the photo could have one.

I must give Falafel another try. Ate there a couple of years ago and while it wasnt awful I never went back, especially with Zaytoon so close.

I'd definitely recommend it - I thought it was at least on par with Zaytoon, if not nicer. Nice service there too, although to be honest I don't understand the amount of giving out about the service in Zaytoon - I've never had the slightest problem there.

Service in Zaytoon has always been okay for me. Staff might be a bit gruff but given the turnover of customers and the heat and pressure they're working in its understandable. Plus all the pissed up eejits who dont hear their number being called.

Will definitely give Falafel another try when Im down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I think there is a certain snobbery attached to kebab eating these days.
    Whilst I am a member of DKC page on facebook it doesn't mean I agree with all their posts.
    Having eaten in most kebab shops in Dublin (except for Passion for food) I can safely say there are some lovely places to eat , depending on what your preference is.

As another poster said, the fact that the lamb is minced doesn't mean its not a good quality kebab.

I like Zaytoon (parliament street mainly) , I have been getting kebabs in here on and off for almost 20 years and have to say they still taste great and havent changed as far as I can tell(lamb donor, but could be the drink clouding my tastebuds)
    I had a lamb kebab in Falafel years ago and from what I remember it was decent.

Pasha on dorset st is excellent for both chicken and lamb donor but can be a tad greasy.

Anatolia also on dorset street is very tasty (minced lamb which comes out in thin strips) , not sure what they use but its very tasty.

For something different, Yeeros in phibsboro does an amazing pork gyro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

yeah however being a snob is how you know you're better than others.

For example people who think Zaytoon is better than passion 4 food are allowed to voice their opinion despite it being plain wrong :)

Advertisement