Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.2 slots help

Options
  • 13-02-2019 1:04pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to commence my first build. The motherboard is a Aorus Master z390. I have 2 samsung M.2 SSDs to put in (970 Pro 512GB and a 970 EVO 2TB).

There are three M.2 slots. One obviously will fit one of the cards 'perfectly' being the same size. The other two are longer than the SSDs presumably to accommodate different form factors. I'm presuming I can use one of these for the other SSD and that they are fitted slightly differently. As you will know, normally the edge of the heat sink screws down into the edge of the card, presumably this is not possible when the sink is longer than the card.

Is this people's experience? Is there anything I should be aware of in placing the SSD in a longer M.2 slot? The motherboard manual is of no help and I can't find anything online despite extensive looking.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Have you read the Motherboard manual?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

As I said, It's unfortunately of no help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Fair enough. I skimmed your post.

With my build, I'd placed the M.2 in the wrong slot as I missed that part of the manual.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a standoff screw (possibly pre-installed on the MB, possibly in the bag of nuts and bolts and stuff that comes with the MB) that supports the end of the drive with the notch in it. This is screwed into one of 3 or 4 possible positions on the MB to support different length cards. If it's in the "wrong" place for your card, just unscrew it and move it to the correct position.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Alun wrote: »
    There's a standoff screw (possibly pre-installed on the MB, possibly in the bag of nuts and bolts and stuff that comes with the MB) that supports the end of the drive with the notch in it. This is screwed into one of 3 or 4 possible positions on the MB to support different length cards. If it's in the "wrong" place for your card, just unscrew it and move it to the correct position.

Many thanks. This what I thought but needed the confirmation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement