Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hugh McIlvanney has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Boxing is lucky it had so many literary heavyweights as chroniclers and McIlvanney was definitely one of the champions. Always remember his “Last Fight of Johnny Owens” piece but there are so many classics. Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Oh ****.

He was bloody good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

I've read a lot of his stuff over the years and he was my favourite boxing scribe.

His writing was so good, I'd even read pieces he wrote in papers about soccer - and that takes some doing.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

One of the greats of boxing. RIP Hugh

Just read the Johnny Owen piece and it is devastatingly beautiful and harrowing at the same time.

The obit in the guardian is top class like the man himself:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/jan/25/hugh-mcilvanney-obituary

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

What’s also worth remembering is that a lot of McIlvanney pieces, including his very best, were rattled off to deadline, often by phone to a copy taker in London, after fights had ended. Other scribes could only look on and weep at such uncommon brilliance under pressure. Loved him on racing too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement