Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-11-2019, 00:30   #1
Donald Trump

Is it possible to buy house and rent it to previous owner under HAP etc?

Suppose someone has their own house but is down on their bad luck financially.

Would it be possible to sell/transfer their house to someone else and then have the original owner apply for some rental assistance and just pay some rent to the new owner - if such an agreement was reached between them?
Advertisement
30-11-2019, 08:57   #2
Dav010

Bank will insist on vacant possession, after sale completion it would be up to the buyer whether they want to rent. I can’t imagine it being a condition of sale that any buyer would agree to.
Thanks from:
30-11-2019, 09:16   #3
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
Suppose someone has their own house but is down on their bad luck financially.

Would it be possible to sell/transfer their house to someone else and then have the original owner apply for some rental assistance and just pay some rent to the new owner - if such an agreement was reached between them?
Where will the cash from the purchase go?
Will the owner entitled to hap if they have this cash bundle?
30-11-2019, 10:51   #4
Donald Trump

Thanks for attempted replies but you are all giving me replies to questions I did not ask. I kept the original post short to keep it simple. I can't anticipate every possible scenario that other posters might imagine and include it in the details so I kept it succinct. Perhaps that meant it was unclear.

So if you are wondering about the buyers credit rating or whether they might need a mortgage - it is not relevant to the question. So you can assume it is not an issue

If you are wondering if the current owner would remain eligible for HAP if they had savings/cash then that is a different question. Assume that they would not have enough after debts are settled to put them over any limits

Similarly, if for whatever reason you imagine a scenario in which the new owner might want to replace the kitchen and have the previous owner move out during it, please ignore it for now.

My scenario is that person A owns a house today. They are having financial difficulties that won't be going away anytime soon. They receive no state help towards the mortgage. They will end up losing the house the way that things are going. Then tomorrow someone else buys the house (legitimately) and pays off mortgage. They will allow the previous owner to stay there with some rent. Can the original owner then apply for some kind of rent assistance to help pay rent to the new owner. New owner is not going to kick them out while they are getting assessed if it only takes a few weeks.

Please don't worry about the probability of this scenario in real life based on your own personal experiences. Assume that it is a possibility.
30-11-2019, 11:54   #5
kceire

If they qualify for HAP under the hap requirements then they are fine. Please check the hap requirements for confirmation.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-11-2019, 12:16   #6
antoinolachtnai

Send a message via AIM to antoinolachtnai Send a message via Yahoo to antoinolachtnai
This scheme is along the lines of what you might be thinking.

https://icarehousing.ie/
Thanks from:
30-11-2019, 12:33   #7
dennyk

In general, yes, there's nothing inherently impossible in such a scenario. The buyer of a house is free to agree to let the house to the seller following the sale. The former seller is now a tenant and is free to apply for HAP. Whether a buyer who would be willing (and able) to make such an arrangement could be found and whether the former seller would subsequently qualify for HAP assistance are separate questions, of course, but assuming both were true, it could be done. Whether such an arrangement would accomplish the ultimate goal of the seller (whatever that might be) is also an open question, of course.
Thanks from:
30-11-2019, 12:44   #8
Grumpypants

You can't rent a HAP house from a family member. But otherwise i guess if you can find someone with enough cash to buy the house and then rent it back to the person then it is possible.
30-11-2019, 12:51   #9
Zenify

You are saying to ignore all the variables and keep it simple. Simple: if you are entitled to HAP obviously you can get HAP.

That seems to be the answer you want. However, you will encounter a lot of difficulties during this. Selling to connected parties and suspicions arising from the council to name a few.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-11-2019, 13:01   #10
Victor

This: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...e_payment.html says "You must be on the local authority’s housing list – which means that you qualify for social housing support." https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ing_lists.html

I understand you can't be on the local authority’s housing list if you have previously owned a property. However, you should investigate this so see if it applies in this case.
30-11-2019, 13:11   #11
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
This: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...e_payment.html says "You must be on the local authority’s housing list – which means that you qualify for social housing support." https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ing_lists.html

I understand you can't be on the local authority’s housing list if you have previously owned a property. However, you should investigate this so see if it applies in this case.

Ok. So this is the kind of information that is really useful. If that is true then it appears that my scenario is not possible. Although it would seem to be unfair that someone who lost a house could never be placed on a housing list? Perhaps that is not correct?
30-11-2019, 13:18   #12
pg633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
Ok. So this is the kind of information that is really useful. If that is true then it appears that my scenario is not possible. Although it would seem to be unfair that someone who lost a house could never be placed on a housing list? Perhaps that is not correct?
In the scenario you have outlined the person hasn't lost a house. They have sold one.

Edit: one other thing to consider - will the property meet the required standards of the HAP scheme?

Last edited by pg633; 30-11-2019 at 13:24.
Thanks from:
30-11-2019, 13:23   #13
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg633 View Post
In the scenario you have outlined the person hasn't lost a house. They have sold one.
What's the difference? In either case they have no money or assets now.
30-11-2019, 13:37   #14
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg633 View Post
Edit: one other thing to consider - will the property meet the required standards of the HAP scheme?
What's this related to? Is it an inherent property of the house such as location or something that can be remediated such as not being clean enough or having a washing machine? If it is the former then it is relevant. If it is the latter then it is irrelevant to my question
30-11-2019, 13:37   #15
Empty_Space

Op lives up to name .
😂

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size