Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refusing to take their seat

Options
  • 16-10-2019 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Last week when the man refused to take his seat for landing the plane returned to stand and he was taking off the aircraft. If this was prior to landing and a passenger or group of passengers refused to sit down what would happen??? Obviously the cabin crew would try and get them to sit down but if they point Blank refused would they captain order the cabin crew to take their seats and land regardless????? Obviously he needs to land at some stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Once airborne if the person refuses to sit at the captains discretion physically detain the person and tie them down to a seat or they remain standing having being told of the risks (most of the time its a bathroom issue so they are somewhat safe in there)

While ugly the preferred option is physical restraint to a seat, you don't want them becoming a missile on landing if something goes wrong.

In a full emergency where it is not possible to get seated, land first and questions later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Once airborne if the person refuses to sit at the captains discretion physically detain the person and tie them down to a seat or they remain standing having being told of the risks (most of the time its a bathroom issue so they are somewhat safe in there)

While ugly the preferred option is physical restraint to a seat, you don't want them becoming a missile on landing if something goes wrong.

In a full emergency where it is not possible to get seated, land first and questions later.

In a really long taxi situation people must have bathroom needs, I’m talking someone with a really dodgy belly ,,,,,, must be awkward when they have to run to the toilet as thr aircraft is taxing,,,,,,,,,, last month I was about 2 hours off the plane when I got struck down with a really bad bug from Spain (lasted two weeks, lost a stone weight, ye get the picture) friends that I was with were on a later flight back to the U.K. and keys just say things got pretty close to comfort for them on the plane. I think I’d just get up and march to the toilet if I thought I couldn’t wait till the fasten seat belt light went off. God I’m shuddering at the thought of it

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

My wife and I were travelling home from Amsterdam one time, the morning after a particularly heavy night on the sauce. We were just about to take off when she said she needed to go to the bathroom to throw up, we'd no sick bags, she was in the window seat. Basically clambered over me and another passenger to get into the aisle, the aircraft had just started it's run down the runway. As she was making her way up the aisle the AC started to take off the ground, she was pulling herself up the aisle by holding onto the headrest of seats while being shouted at by cabin crew to sit down, she just shouted back that she was going to be sick, cabin crew stopped shouting and several passengers helped her on her way by pushing her past them, obviously not wanting to be thrown up on. She stayed in the toilet for a few mins until the AC levelled off then returned to her seat with her head hanging. The other passenger in our row asked if she wanted to take the aisle seat which she did. One of the funniest things I've ever seen on a flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Why are sick bags not compulsory I wonder?

murphaph wrote: »
    Why are sick bags not compulsory I wonder?

I remember them being in the seat back pocket when I flew when I was younger but haven't seen them on any flight in the last 15 years! Unless you have to ask for them now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

adam88 wrote: »
    man refused to take his seat for landing.

Any reason why or did he just have "you can't tell what to do" mentality

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

gumbo1 wrote: »
    I remember them being in the seat back pocket when I flew when I was younger but haven't seen them on any flight in the last 15 years! Unless you have to ask for them now?

I was on a flight to Brussels with Aer Lingus, in 2011, and the woman across the aisle from me filled 3 sick bags. They were being handed over from seat to seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Every single seat pocket on Aer Lingus should have a sick bag.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Do you only fly Ryanair I’ve seen them on every single flight except Ryanair as they don’t have seat pockets

micar wrote: »
    Any reason why or did he just have "you can't tell what to do" mentality

Climate change protester. https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-aer-lingus-protester-17063231

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would have pinned him to his seat....

Locker10a wrote: »
    Do you only fly Ryanair I’ve seen them on every single flight except Ryanair as they don’t have seat pockets

It was an EI flight, not a fan of Ryanair so don't fly with them unless it's absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Funny - that's exactly the type of scenario I thought re. the OPs question ...

Advertisement