Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wood pellet stoves

Options
  • 16-10-2019 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi. looking at a Nordica wood pellet stove for sitting room (no boiler). any reports on them. is there a good flame and maintenance etc. v costly to put in so would like feedback on pros and cons on wood pellet non boiler stoves Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I was an early adopter of wood pellet stove/boiler in the noughties. Had a boiler for heating the house and a stove as a room heater. The boiler model was utterly unrelaibale and wouldn't light nine times out of ten. The technician tried and tried to fix it but couldn't. It was a useless piece of junk. The room heater was better but again it was touch and go if it would light. When it did work, it threw out great heat but remember that it relies on a fan to blow the heat out and this is a constant background noise. If theres a power cut, you can't use it.

If doing it again, and I have since I moved house, I'd go with a solid fuel stove instead as storing wood pellets is a pain as they have to be kept dry or they turn to mush and can't be used. I much prefer my solid fuel stove over the pellet one. Ok, more cleaning involved but much better heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There is no flame.
    It’s a miserable looking affair from the perspective of looking at them.

If your looking for a flame to appreciate then you will need a traditional stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

_Brian wrote: »
    There is no flame.
    It’s a miserable looking affair from the perspective of looking at them.

If your looking for a flame to appreciate then you will need a traditional stove.

Sorry that's bs, I have an old wood pellet stove that looks like a solid fuel one, admittedly its had some issues but as flames go it has plenty, different type of flame as its blown but can light up the room at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stephenw105

I have a Palazzetti non boiler and its brilliant, clean it out about once a month and much cheaper to run than solid fuel. No messing with trying to light it like solid fuel as its auto or remote start from a mobile app. I have it vented into another room which heats it without any need for rads in that room so saving more on oil bills. looking at getting the second vent to the hallway next to get a residual heat into the bedrooms. No issues in two years of having it and oil heating is being used half as much since getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sophir

How is the cost of running a wood pellets stove with a boiler? some people saying 5euro a day. MMMM, a bit dear compare to solid fuel stove. Thinking myself of switching to wood pellets stove , but still in doubts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 elizdine

Advertisement