Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

994522_419399274840864_433698892_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

I know car temperature readings aren't the most accurate but it would be interesting to see what readings people are getting in their cars around the country this week.

This was in Galway City today..

Car-Temp-Pic-2_zps73526b6d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It really is the humidity that makes it unbearable.

Walking round death valley was much more enjoyable because its a completely dry heat.

Although, I don't think its too bad at the minute. Now here in Swords anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Surely the irish govt will announce a temporary siesta from 12 -4? never felt such dead heat in this island and i'm not moving too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The humidities aren't actually that high, most stations are reporting in the 50 and 60 percents with their high temperatures

E.g. Shannon Airport, 28C, 51% - real feel on the heat index is 29 C

Finner Camp, 24C, 72% - real feel on the heat index is still 24C

Temperatures below 24C are not really accentuated by high humidity so they dont 'feel' much different

All you are getting folks is good honest warmth.......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Siesta should be mandatory regardless of weather.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Humidity set to rise over the coming days though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The humidities aren't actually that high, most stations are reporting in the 50 and 60 percents with their high temperatures

Yeah but look at somewhere like Seville...39c with a RH of 11% atm.

Probably feels more comfortable there than in Shannon at 28c and a RH of 56%.

Cooling down here now. 23.2c atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

So is it really the dew point you need to look at the determine the real feel?

The dew points seem a bit higher in mayo alright 20c in newport, im heading that way this evening, might be tough sleeping tonight.
    5 places at 28c on the met eireann site at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

has anyone got the link to that sea temperature website? for irish coastal waters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

"Latest on #summer: Castlederg, N Ireland, is currently today's hot spot, with 29.5C, closely followed by Solent (29.4C)."

Taken from the BBC weather twitter account,
    here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

fryup wrote: »
    has anyone got the link to that sea temperature website? for irish coastal waters

Here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Thanks. How accurate could that be? It says 13.9c for most of the south west of Ireland, then jumps to 14.4 around the corner in Bantry Bay.

The water in sheltered bays probably goes up far higher than 13.9c in the right conditions.
    Im guessing some pockets of shallow sea water could be about 18c in places during this heat wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Thanks. How accurate could that be? It says 13.9c for most of the south west of Ireland, then jumps to 14.4 around the corner in Bantry Bay.

The water in sheltered bays probably goes up far higher than 13.9c in the right conditions.
    Im guessing some pockets of shallow sea water could be about 18c in places during this heat wave.

Here are some buoy reports from Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

28 at the Oak Park Met Eireann station.

+4 warmer than what this morning's GFS was showing for that area at 3pm.

I think temperature maps on the models over push the effect of a sea breeze for the east tbh. I'm direct west of the Wicklow mountains so I wouldn't feel the effects of the sea breeze on temps as much as the weather maps suggest, probably the same story for Carlow.

Been a lovely day here today, oak park is my closest metE station so it's been a hot one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Just came across this and it made me laugh most of them are so true. :D

15 signs it's nearly too hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Claremorris and Shannon still reporting 28 degrees at 7pm.

There will be a lot of kickin off the bedsheets tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Haven't posted for a while been thinking i have turned into a snow bunny its that long since i posted:pac: ,anyhow stunning weather out,its been good most of the summer but it's dam hard painting house's out doors in it ,the paint was drying on the brush's/rollers as quick as i was spreading it ,charts also look good for an extended spell of it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Great day, temperature reached about 23C here so comfortably cooler than the rest of the country. Almost no cloud for the entire day as well. Lovely. :)

Still 28 at Shannon, at 8pm. Impressive.

Tomorrow should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Still 28 at Shannon, at 8pm. Impressive.

Tomorrow should be interesting.

So whats your thoughts on how long this will last ?

t|nt|n wrote: »
    So whats your thoughts on how long this will last ?

Looks good until Saturday or Sunday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carljames

seen a van today a "dial a click courier" with a young kid in it,,,couldnt have been more than 6 or 7,,,obviously the guy didnt care the kid was sweltering in the heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Looks good until Saturday or Sunday. :)

Ha I am one of the few people that wants it to go now ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Reached the dizzy heights of 29.0 at 18:57, 56% humidity, beautiful day am loving it and long may it last/

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Ha I am one of the few people that wants it to go now ! :D

tumblr_m8f1f7CRHI1rtc9of.gif

:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Not only a year High 26.3c recorded here but also a station record and the Highest temp recorded in Waterford City since July 2006. :)

Current Temp 22.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

It was 24 degrees at 6pm, few clouds came and its back up to 25 degrees on the 7pm observation. Send help, hope it cools a good bit before bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

A thing of beauty.
    EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.jpg

My PWS temperature reading today. :D:D
    080713.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Just back from a cycle @ SE Mayo. Still absolutely swelters out there! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

26 degrees on the 2100 reports for claremorris....now that's impressive!! and 24 degrees at Knock....close to a record id say for 2100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

26 degrees on the 2100 reports for claremorris....now that's impressive!! and 24 degrees at Knock....close to a record id say for 2100.

I'm near one or maybe both of those stations. ;)

Hence the sweltery bike ride. :P

Humidity rising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Humidity rising.

Barometer is getting low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

What a beautiful evening,18c out,sitting in shorts & t shirt on balcony at
    10 o clock :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Still 21c in Cork City - the house is absolutely sweltering! Window in my bedroom open - like being on holiday in Spain!

Knock 23 degrees at 2200, yep I read it twice lol. Fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just out in the back garden - not a hint of air movement and the aroma from the flowers is lovely! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

Will be traveling east to west tomorrow and back starting around 6ish in morn will post updates as I travel cross country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭flutered

here at the butt of the galtees at 8pm it was starting to cool down a very light breeze from the east and the swallows are trying to cut my ankles as they fly around the field.

Its a warm night ahead with Shannon still at 22 degrees and Knock still at 21 degrees....11pm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

32 recorded in Limk today!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

123 LC wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

nearly midnight and it's 19C here in cork city :eek: expect that in spain not here in ireland it's bloody fantastic:cool:

• Advertisement

80% humidity at midnight. Think I'll sleep in the garden tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

80% humidity at midnight. Think I'll sleep in the garden tonight.

93% here and still 17.6C..

Loving the heat but I had a bad nights sleep last night so not looking forward to the night ahead, roasting in the house even with all the windows wide open all evening

Temp is still widely above 20C across the west at midnight as well, very rare to see that

Knock Airport still holding 20 degrees on the 0000 reports. very rare!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Shannon reporting 22C at midnight!

That's tossing and turning weather :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Tweeted by BBC weather have just said the highest temp recorded in NI was 30.8c. Didn't say location! Will try and find out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement