Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gales Tonight and Early Morning (Wind gusts today from 90-120km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Slightly further up than irish1967, I have to agree with some previous posts the wind seems to be increasing in strength and worse than previous nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Malin Head Gusting to 104 km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Surprised by all the comments here, especially people in the north. Monday night was probably the worst night here in the past 10 years, tonight where I am is just a typical stormy night we get almost weekly at this time of year

Don't know if I'm sheltered or just got really badly hit on Monday but its nowhere near as bad here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 venturer

wind hasn't died down here in West Cork at all over the past few days, its as bad tonight as it was Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Harps wrote: »
    Surprised by all the comments here, especially people in the north. Monday night was probably the worst night here in the past 10 years, tonight where I am is just a typical stormy night we get almost weekly at this time of year

Don't know if I'm sheltered or just got really badly hit on Monday but its nowhere near as bad here
    Think the main difference was the hour the strongest Gusts arrived was very late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭beco

Wind definitely worse here in Killiney tonight then earlier in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

For those feeling stronger winds than the previous storm, likely reason is better exposure of your location to 280 deg than the 220-250 deg vector of the previous storm. Most airport locations have peaked 5-10 kts lower than the previous storm. But I can believe that some parts of Donegal are feeling it worse with all the hills and coastal effects changing in this slightly different direction today.

Peak winds in Donegal are now occurring and there should be a slow decrease later tonight, I believe, from models and K4 buoy reports which have just fallen by 7 kts past hour, also K5 well to north has slow declining trend.

Squall line not quite supported, more of a sliding front that will take on more of a NW-SE orientation as it becomes parallel to the jet stream, this may focus the heavier rain more into west Munster later on, with just passing sleety showers further north as winds veer slightly from about 280 to 300 deg. (W to WNW basically) ... tomorrow will be considerably colder in the north, slightly colder in the south, but in general, not as windy as today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

SexyGuy wrote: »
    Getting very very windy here in Cork now.
    leahyl wrote: »
    Very windy here in Cork -
    sunbabe08 wrote: »
    rather windy here in cork :D
    Windy here in Cork still. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

cotton wrote: »
    Very bad winds up on Windgates, Greystones this evening. Much stronger than monday. Double glazed glass doors only resealed a few weeks ago & the wind is howling through them. Sea having some serious activity too. Probably the worst I've seen in the 6 years I've been here.
    4 big dogs here & I'm having to go out with them everytime one wants to go for a pee as the fence & gate are wobbling.
    Wish I had a weather station!
    extremely windy here in Arklow

would anyone have any idea what its going to be like tomorrow midday around greystones/bray? thanks guys
    nerrad1983 wrote: »
    The wind is getting stronger here in Newtown Mt Kdy, Co Wicklow

It has not let up once the last few hours

In my opinion much stronger gusts than the Storm event a few days ago
    I concur with my Wicklow brethren. This seems like the worst winds we've had in this stormy period.

Unfortunately the bloody anemometer on my WS2300 is broken and I haven't put the replacement up yet. Typical....

Can we call this the Wicklow storm? :p

I'd get me coat but it's too windy out.........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I see there is a freezing drizzle report in for Shannon at 9pm. Freezing drizzle can cause serious issues for aircraft. Of course, I am presuming this is a mistake in the 9pm report with 10c reported there!
    SHANNON AIRPORT W 29 Gust 43 FREEZING DRIZZL 10 97 3.0 1008

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Winds are much more violent here then the Monday night storm ....... typical :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I'm about 6-7 miles as the crow flies from Shannon Airport.

Yes there is drizzle in the area and yes, the house is not heating up very well and it feels cold. But nothing freezing here........

Still blowing a hoolie, the dog is going berserk. Every bang, he thinks there's someone at the door. The chimney sounds as if we have an express train doing manoevers in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Harps wrote: »

Monday night was definitely the worst in the past ten years, tonights storm is definitely not as bad for me but its worse than a typical stormy night that I have got here in the past few weeks and thats saying a lot. Some extreme gusts that would toss a person (literally) and cause damage.

Villain wrote: »
    Think the main difference was the hour the strongest Gusts arrived was very late.
    Most of us on here stayed up till 5am that night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

BTW Did anyone see Evelyn on the Telly say that tonight and tomorrow are the last of the winds for a while? Next week looks nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Bicycle wrote: »
    BTW Did anyone see Evelyn on the Telly say that tonight and tomorrow are the last of the winds for a while? Next week looks nice :D

looks nice?? snow? because looking nice in winter means snow and cold temperatures. because this warm weather is not on during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Even for my Southerly location it's nothing major out there. Something must be shadowing my area. A pity, I seem to missing out on 'extreme' winds in the South.

Seems like the last of the big winds for awhile, settling down next week, and have my fingers crossed for mid-month cool down!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Defo worse here in firhouse tonight than on Mon....
    All the flipping wine bottles I painstakingly picked up in the side passage are falling down again...the neighbours must be going bananas!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There is eery howling noise from the sky but on the surface the winds arent extreme just strong.

Say it is fair windy a few hundred metres up.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

There is eery howling noise from the sky

That'll be the Man United fans...:D

Cold front is beginning to grow at the back of the frontal area.

Next few hours will see if it builds for us. Building well for the north of England at the present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Cross winds of between 40knts and 50knts were reported at Dublin airport this afternoon.

Windsheer was reported at 200 feet by several aircraft.

One Ryanair flight aborted its landing, opting for a go-around for a second attempt due to conditions at the time.

Anyhow, here's a quick shot of conditions for flights landing.

A few showers assoc with cold front beginning to beef up over north mids south ulster.

These convective cookies will bring some high winds to the surface so watch out for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

F2 here 25 kmh with my best gust of 51 kmh @ 17:04

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

all wind, no rain in cork tonight. still howling here,

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

It seems more windy tonight - just got a top gust of 62km/h. Top gust on Monday was was 42km/h. And that's in my sheltered back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

wind dying down again here in ballybofey, some nice gusts but nothing compared to 4am on tuesday morning.
    as always some great info on here thanks everyone keep up the great work, it really is a great way of learning things about weather and how it works;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The storm yesterday was worse when winds peaked after 5am, it is a bit off the levels reached yesterday around here but very windy none the less.
    Highest gust at 4metres here was 63km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭lolie

A few showers assoc with cold front beginning to beef up over north mids south ulster.

These convective cookies will bring some high winds to the surface so watch out for them!

Just noticed them on the radar but suspect they might pass bit east of here. Very windy here since 9pm but gusts not as strong as 3am Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

strong winds here in wexford for the last four hours dying down abit now 187208.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

severe winds expected in germany tonight.higher end gusts are over high ground
    http://www.meteoalarm.eu/index3.php?area=DE006&day=0&lang=
    wouldn't fancy being a mountain in Bayern tonight all the same

I missed our storm Monday as I was in Munich, now I'm back in Galway I'm missing their storm tonight. It was very windy last night over there too.. Sounds pretty wild out here too all evening

Advertisement