Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 year old Baxi Solo HE giving grief

Options
  • 15-10-2019 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭

We've an 8 year old Baxi Solo HE and for the past year it's been locking out every day or other day.
    Sometimes it makes a clanking sound.
    Resetting it clears the problem for the rest of the day.
    I've bled any air from the topmost rad in the house.

We've had 2 gas boiler guys take a look at it.
    The first guy was almost impossible to get hold of, tried a few things and didn't make any difference.
    The second guy was much more responsive, changed the pump which he thought was a bit underpowered, added a pressure meter, might have changed some other small things and didn't make a difference.

We rang Baxi Ireland to see if they have a recommended service guy who are trained and perhaps more familiar with the Baxi range.
    They told us to contact whoever installed it.
    It was installed by a 60 year old dope head working for Gas Lies (I know, I know, but a friend recommended them at the time) so that's not an option for us.

Does it sound like we need to replace the entire boiler or is it the kind of problem a competent boiler guy would be be able to diagnose from inspecting the system?

Tx for any suggeestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

josip wrote: »
    We've an 8 year old Baxi Solo HE and for the past year it's been locking out every day or other day.
    Sometimes it makes a clanking sound.
    Resetting it clears the problem for the rest of the day.
    I've bled any air from the topmost rad in the house.

We've had 2 gas boiler guys take a look at it.
    The first guy was almost impossible to get hold of, tried a few things and didn't make any difference.
    The second guy was much more responsive, changed the pump which he thought was a bit underpowered, added a pressure meter, might have changed some other small things and didn't make a difference.

We rang Baxi Ireland to see if they have a recommended service guy who are trained and perhaps more familiar with the Baxi range.
    They told us to contact whoever installed it.
    It was installed by a 60 year old dope head working for Gas Lies (I know, I know, but a friend recommended them at the time) so that's not an option for us.

Does it sound like we need to replace the entire boiler or is it the kind of problem a competent boiler guy would be be able to diagnose from inspecting the system?

Tx for any suggeestions

The clanking sound could be air and causing it to over heat and lockout. It could also be a blockage within the heat exchanger and may need to be replaced.

But at 8 years old the cost of new heat exchanger may not be worth it considering there is 7 to 10 year warranties now available on new boilers. Obviously a site visit would be required to confirm where the problem lies as im only going on a small bit of information.

Advertisement