Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pieta house

Options
  • 04-10-2019 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi has anyone ever been to Pieta House?

I took the plunge and called today, I’m going in next week, but I’m so nervous, I’ve been to counselling before but it’s hard for me to tell someone I feel suicidal,

Any experiences could really calm my nerves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I took the plunge and called today, I’m going in next week, but I’m so nervous, I’ve been to counselling before but it’s hard for me to tell someone I feel suicidal,

You are doing the right and sensible thing. There is nothing to be guilty or ashamed of. Feeling excessive guilt is a symptom of depression. Very low levels of BDNF have been found in the brains of people who have committed suicide. It's important that you reach out and get help for it ASAP. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

they are super nice.

when you arrive they offer you cup of tea and a biscuit. there is a waiting room, and private rooms for talking.

your counselor will not jump straight to business, they will introduce themselves and tell you a little about themselves.

anything you say will be completely private unless y tell them your going to commit a crime.

Hope that helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

They are fantastic. The first chat will just be to get a feel for whats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

I have only heard the best most positive things about Pieta House. They are our charity of the year at work and I know of friends and family members over the years who have used their services.

You have done the right thing by reaching out to them. That is an amazing and brave first step to take, and I wish you the best of luck and support in your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I was going there some 2 years ago. If I remember it correctly, first you get an assessment, where they have a chat with you about your life, how you feel, etc. This takes about an hour. Based on the initial assessment, they will find assign you to a therapist.

I was going in Cork and had a lovely therapist called Helen. I'm not going to lie, the first session with her wasn't easy. I tend to deflect when I feel vulnerable, and she wasn't giving up (nor I would expect her to). The second session was a bit better. By the third session, I got used to it and was talking freely about everything. She guided the conversation very well, she had suggestions about what I can be doing at home, etc. I think you get 15 sessions (maybe 12, not sure now).

Going to Pieta House has helped me to open to what I feel and to be in touch with my emotions and eventually led to my diagnosis after Helen pointed out that I'm a different person in every session and she advised me to keep a diary of my moods, etc. I then went to my GP who referred me to a psychiatrist, who eventually diagnosed me with borderline personality disorder. The diagnosis made everything easier because suddenly I knew what is the enemy and I could learn about it, and I believe that knowledge is power.

I don't think I would be able to get that diagnosis without going to Pieta House. They are amazing. Stick with the sessions. You won't regret it. Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement