Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v France [build up thread]

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,102 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Henderson at 6 is not going to happen. Yes it's his best position but he hasn't played a single minute there and he has been Ireland's best forward during this world cup and preceding warm ups so it's unlikely he's going to be moved anywhere.

I don't think Healy has done enough to oust McGrath.

Fitzgerald is not going to play 14. He hasn't done enough to get a place in the squad in my book. It will be Earls on the left and Bowe or Kearney on the right. I think Bowe did a lot more than DK yesterday but it's hard to know who he'll go for.

For me:

McGrath
    Best
    Ross
    Henderson
    POC
    POM
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    Earls
    Henshaw
    Payne
    Bowe
    Kearney

Strauss
    Healy
    White
    Toner
    Henry
    Reddan
    Madigan
    Zebo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

awec wrote: »
    Henderson at 6 is not going to happen. Yes it's his best position but he hasn't played a single minute there and he has been Ireland's best forward during this world cup and preceding warm ups so it's unlikely he's going to be moved anywhere.

Fitzgerald is not going to play 14. He hasn't done enough to get a place in the squad in my book. It will be Earls on the left and Bowe or Kearney on the right. I think Bowe did a lot more than DK yesterday but it's hard to know who he'll go for.

For me:

McGrath
    Best
    Ross
    Henderson
    POC
    POM
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    Earls
    Henshaw
    Payne
    Bowe
    Kearney

Strauss
    Healy
    White
    Toner
    Henry
    Reddan
    Madigan
    Zebo

Healy is a pure gamble for me. If Henderson won't be moved then I'd put Henry into the back row ahead of O'Mahony. O'Mahony simply isn't doing the grunt work and its affecting our entire back row to be honest. I've rewatched the game. He doesn't tackle, he doesn't make yards, he doesn't hit rucks. I've no idea what he really does as a blindside to be honest.

Is he carrying an injury? Other than the try saving tackle he did not seem to cover ground in the manner of SOB or Heaslip at all! He seemed to struggle a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Bowe will get in for his ability win restarts unless the rest of his game is really off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

For me:

McGrath
    Best
    Ross
    Henderson
    POC
    POM
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    Earls
    Henshaw
    Payne
    Bowe
    Kearney

Strauss
    Healy
    White
    Toner
    Henry
    Reddan
    Madigan
    Zebo

No Cronin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

WarZ wrote: »
    Healy is a pure gamble for me. If Henderson won't be moved then I'd put Henry into the back row ahead of O'Mahony. O'Mahony simply isn't doing the grunt work and its affecting our entire back row to be honest. I've rewatched the game. He doesn't tackle, he doesn't make yards, he doesn't hit rucks. I've no idea what he really does as a blindside to be honest.

Is he carrying an injury? Other than the try saving tackle he did not seem to cover ground in the manner of SOB or Heaslip at all! He seemed to struggle a lot.

Id suggest you rewatch the game, and concentrate on POM's game, watch his support work, his carries in traffic, his line out work. I maintain he played well, but that all 3 backrows were below par. His 2 penalties were stupid, of that we agree.

(I wouldnt wish rewatching that game on anyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭forzawexford10

I wonder what starting team Saint Andre will select.

My guess would be something along these lines

15 Spedding
    14 Noa Nakaitaci
    13 Bastareaud
    12 Fofana
    11 Dulin
    10 Michalak
    9 Tillous-Borde

8 Picamoles
    7 Chouly
    6 Dusautoir

5 Maestri
    4 Pape

3 Slimani
    2 Guirado
    1 Ben Arous

Spedding really struggled at full back v Ireland in the 6 nations, Huget is a huge loss on the wing. Worringly Fofan has been very quiet.

And Bastareuad will continue to truck through over, forearm sexton at every opportunity

I think Parra will not start which is good but he will add serious impact from the bench and pick up the pace of the game.

It will be interesting given his impact when introduced in the 6 nations will Debaty start?

It is France back row where the question marks are for me, I think only Dusautoir is a cert to start, any of Picamoles, Chouly, Le Roux or Nyanga could start at 7 and 8.

I think France with all their big men will have watched Ireland where the weaker opposition all made a lot of yards just bashing up at us…..Ireland will have to and will bring much more intensity and phyciality in defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

For me, the only real selection issue will be which 2 of Earls, Bowe and Kearney gets picked on the wing.

Payne & Henshaw will surely start in the centre (whether you think they are the best pairing or not, it'd be madness to change it at this stage). Bowe was much better yesterday and Kearney was quiet. Earls was fairly good, but didn't really stand out. I really thought it would be Earls/Kearney but I think Bowe pushed himself back into contention, it will be interesting.

The 23 selection will also be interesting. You've got Fitzgerald who covers 11/12/13/14 and 15 at a push. Zebo who has been favoured as backup 15. which is the sub that Joe has preferred during his tenure. Or the one of Earls/Kearney/Bowe that loses out, Earls the most versatile of those 3.

It looks like Henderson will start over Toner.
    I'd be utterly shocked if POM was dropped.
    The chances of SOB being dropped are absolutely nil. I don't think he was anywhere near his best yesterday but it's Sean O'Brien- he is top class.
    McGrath starts over Healy at this stage.
    And Murray clearly won't be dropped, he was poor, but he's still a much better kicker than Reddan and it's a huge part of our gameplan. The fact that Reddan wasn't turned to when Murray was playing poorly says a lot imo.

I do think we'll up our performance as we have to and I think we will beat France. At least... I really really hope so.

That Argentinian team on current form would beat Ireland well. The scary thing is how young that Argentinian team is, you've got to put them as one of the favourites for the 2019 world cup.

.ak wrote: »
    No Cronin?

Strauss or Cronin, either or really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭phog

1.Healy
    2.Best
    3.Ross
    4.POC
    5.Toner
    6.Henderson
    7.SOB
    8.Heaslip
    9.Reddan
    10.Sexton
    11.Earls
    12.Henshaw
    13.Payne
    14.Fitzgerald
    15.Kearney

Barring injuries this will not happen in this world cup and I'd love you to explain why you think Joe will chance Hederson at 6 now when he hasn't tired him there yet in the tournament.

Has Joe even tried him there in the warm up games?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    For me, the only real selection issue will be which 2 of Earls, Bowe and Kearney gets picked on the wing.

Payne & Henshaw will surely start in the centre (whether you think they are the best pairing or not, it'd be madness to change it at this stage). Bowe was much better yesterday and Kearney was quiet. Earls was fairly good, but didn't really stand out. I really thought it would be Earls/Kearney but I think Bowe pushed himself back into contention, it will be interesting.

The 23 selection will also be interesting. You've got Fitzgerald who covers 11/12/13/14 and 15 at a push. Zebo who has been favoured as backup 15. which is the sub that Joe has preferred during his tenure. Or the one of Earls/Kearney/Bowe that loses out, Earls the most versatile of those 3.

It looks like Henderson will start over Toner.
    I'd be utterly shocked if POM was dropped.
    The chances of SOB being dropped are absolutely nil. I don't think he was anywhere near his best yesterday but it's Sean O'Brien- he is top class.
    McGrath starts over Healy at this stage.
    And Murray clearly won't be dropped, he was poor, but he's still a much better kicker than Reddan and it's a huge part of our gameplan. The fact that Reddan wasn't turned to when Murray was playing poorly says a lot imo.

I do think we'll up our performance as we have to and I think we will beat France. At least... I really really hope so.

I think Zebo benches because he covers 15. We seem to have a preference for having cover for positions without requiring significant restructuring mid-game which is why I think Zebo will get the nod. Fitzgerald can't cover 15 and Madigan already covers centre.

phog wrote: »
    Barring injuries this will not happen in this world cup and I'd love you to explain why you think Joe will chance Hederson at 6 now when he hasn't tired him there yet in the tournament.

No, I don't think Henderson has ever started at 6 under Schmidt?

I don't know how Joe's mind works but it could be a case that POM is a strong character in the team and because of this his coaches may turn a subconscious blind eye to his glaring faults. As it is at the moment POM is literally waltzing around the pitch and for a blindside makes pretty much no tackles, rarely hits rucks and rarely attacks the gain line.

You're right though, Joe has never tried him there, in which case bring in Henry at 7 and put SOB at 6.

However Heaslip and SOB can't continue to be expected to make up for POM's poor work rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

noway12345 wrote: »
    We're not looking to win the World Cup? We are looking to win the World Cup? We have picked our team accordingly? We haven't picked our team accordingly?

Are those my feet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

No, I don't think Henderson has ever started at 6 under Schmidt?

Fairly sure he did against Italy last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

We've already qualified so we have three choices:
    (Personally I'd go with Rotation, but that's a risky call with NZ likely our next opponents if we lose.)
    (1) Go all out, pick a strategy and select the best players (and favour form players where possible) that suit that strategy, reveal rehearsed moves/tactics, and possibly pick up injuries or burn out certain key players.
    or
    (2) Squad rotation against France, a win would be a bonus, but not a must.
    or
    (3) Middle-ground, somewhere in between (1) and (2), certain players of the last matches' subs to start and some starters to bench, and most of the remaining players would not feature (Cave, Furlong, Jackson, Murphy, Ryan, Strauss), and David Kearney, Bowe, and O'Mahony to narrowly miss out, but may feature again in the next round, more a chance to rest and rotate some players than being dropped.

1)
    McGrath, Best, Ross,
    Toner, Henderson,
    POM, SOB, Heaslip,
    Murray, Sexton,
    Earls, Henshaw, Payne, Bowe,
    Zebo.

Bench: Cronin, Healy, White, POC, Henry, Reddan, Madigan, R Kearney.

2)
    Healy, Cronin, White,
    Ryan, Toner,
    POM, Henry, Murphy
    Reddan, Madigan,
    Fitzgerald, Henshaw, Payne, Earls,
    R Kearney.

Bench: Strauss, McGrath, Furlong, POC, SOB, Murray, Jackson, D Kearney.

3)
    Healy, Best, White,
    Toner, POC,
    Murphy, Henry, Heaslip,
    Reddan, Madigan,
    Fitzgerald, Henshaw, Payne, Earls,
    R Kearney

Bench: McGrath, Cronin, Ross, Henderson, SOB, Murray, Sexton, Zebo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

molloyjh wrote: »
    Are those my feet?

:D You're out of your depth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I think we're really missing the most important and most pivotal aspect of this game, why isn't this most important build up analysis been talked about?!, the two teams are secondary to this game, the question is...

...Will the roof be open or closed?.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I think we're really missing the most important and most pivotal aspect of this game, why isn't this most important build up analysis been talked about?!, the two teams are secondary to this game, the question is...

...Will the roof be open or closed?.....

Closed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Closed

Was there a press conference surrounding this issue?, A few front page stories?, an ad campaign?, a complete engineering and design plan issued?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stadedublinois

I wonder what starting team Saint Andre will select.

My guess would be something along these lines

15 Spedding
    14 Noa Nakaitaci
    13 Bastareaud
    12 Fofana
    11 Dulin
    10 Michalak
    9 Tillous-Borde

8 Picamoles
    7 Chouly
    6 Dusautoir

5 Maestri
    4 Pape

3 Slimani
    2 Guirado
    1 Ben Arous

Spedding really struggled at full back v Ireland in the 6 nations, Huget is a huge loss on the wing. Worringly Fofan has been very quiet.

And Bastareuad will continue to truck through over, forearm sexton at every opportunity

I think Parra will not start which is good but he will add serious impact from the bench and pick up the pace of the game.

It will be interesting given his impact when introduced in the 6 nations will Debaty start?

It is France back row where the question marks are for me, I think only Dusautoir is a cert to start, any of Picamoles, Chouly, Le Roux or Nyanga could start at 7 and 8.

I think France with all their big men will have watched Ireland where the weaker opposition all made a lot of yards just bashing up at us…..Ireland will have to and will bring much more intensity and phyciality in defence

That's pretty much the team expected. The only areas up for discussion are the wings and Le Roux vs Chouly in the back row.

After the Ireland game yesterday I'd say Dulin is sure to start as he is the best in the air and probably with Nakaitaci. PSA doesn't seem to trust Guitoune in defence. Grosso probably didn't do enough either.

Le Roux has been one of our best players in last 18 months but Chouly's lineout ability may see him start. Picamoles will definitely start. He was rested for the last game and we missed his ball carrying.

Can't see Debaty starting, Ben Arous seems to have nailed down that spot.

Parra has a slim possibility of replacing Tilous-Borde (was poor enough against Canada) but it would be a surprise.

Spedding has had his good and bad moments, but with our limited gameplan, his ability to take penalties from over 50m is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Bowe will get in for his ability win restarts unless the rest of his game is really off.

How many restarts has he won in the last year?

It was noteable that the Italians had Bowe completely figured out yesterday, placing a player behind him for the slap back.

I don't know how Joe's mind works but it could be a case that POM is a strong character in the team and because of this his coaches may turn a subconscious blind eye to his glaring faults. As it is at the moment POM is literally waltzing around the pitch and for a blindside makes pretty much no tackles, rarely hits rucks and rarely attacks the gain line.

You're right though, Joe has never tried him there, in which case bring in Henry at 7 and put SOB at 6.

However Heaslip and SOB can't continue to be expected to make up for POM's poor work rate.

Thanks, best laugh in ages.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That Argentinian team on current form would beat Ireland well. The scary thing is how young that Argentinian team is, you've got to put them as one of the favourites for the 2019 world cup.

It obviously depends on your definition of beating well, but the last time Ireland lost by more than 8 points was Australia 2013 (and the only loss by 8 was against England in the warm ups).

We're not exciting, but no team beats Ireland well either, and I wouldn't expect Argentina to do it at this point. I think their performance against the ABs should be put in context of how underwhelming NZ have been overall this tournament so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

stephen_n wrote: »
    How many restarts has he won in the last year?

It was noteable that the Italians had Bowe completely figured out yesterday, placing a player behind him for the slap back.

Would they not be offside then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

Would they not be offside then?

No ruck = No offside line

Thanks, best laugh in ages.

If you've nothing to reply with but a childish remark then you 100% acknowledge the truth in the statement and cannot develop a counter argument to my points.

Unfortunately despite the attempts of the TV3 panel, people are starting to realize that SOB and Heaslip are not to blame. These are genuine world class players, Lions. The one blaring weakness in the back row is Mr.O'Mahony, remember that player who actually got yellow carded with pure stupidity when the game was in the brink?

But no, according to Wood Mr.O'Mahony was MAGNIFICENT.

It's time to push against the propaganda and accept that our back row would be a lot better with Henry or Henderson in there instead of O'Mahony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Look Henderson just isn't going to start at 6 so let's leave that one be.

One player who increasingly merits discussion is Henry. However he will never get in as it would mean dropping SOB or POM and putting SOB to 8. Neither will happen. However his effectiveness at the breakdown can't be disregarded and one thing I've noticed sonce his return from his illness is that his carrying has improved.

Elsewhere Healy should come in for McGrath and Earls will surely move to the left wing assuming Payne is git. Not sure about Bowe v D.Kearney. Bowe maybe just edged it yesterday between the two but it was hardly vintage Bowe either. I can't call that to be honest. Bowe's experiemce could be decisive but Kearney overall deserves it a wee bit more I think. Henderson has been great but I can see an argument for Toner. Think Hendo will get the nod though based on his recent selections and the fact he has prbably been our best player up to now. Part of me would be tempted to stick Furlong on the bench.

Whatever the selection the players need a collective kick up the arse and hopefully raise their game. They'll need to.

If you've nothing to reply with but a childish remark then you 100% acknowledge the truth in the statement and cannot develop a counter argument to my points.

Unfortunately despite the attempts of the TV3 panel, people are starting to realize that SOB and Heaslip are not to blame. These are genuine world class players, Lions. The one blaring weakness in the back row is Mr.O'Mahony, remember that player who actually got yellow carded with pure stupidity when the game was in the brink?

But no, according to Wood Mr.O'Mahony was MAGNIFICENT.

It's time to push against the propaganda and accept that our back row would be a lot better with Henry or Henderson in there instead of O'Mahony

You're getting caught up in your own propaganda.

Step back, look at the game and you'll see SOB was well below his best, below that level that earned him that Lions Jersey.

POM was close to having a MotM performance admittedly blotted by his yc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You're getting caught up in your own propaganda.

Step back, look at the game and you'll see SOB was well below his best, below that level that earned him that Lions Jersey.

POM was close to having a MotM performance admittedly blotted by his yc

I'd agree with that. I think Henderson was still better than him but POM and Henderson were standouts in our pack.

That's what really frustrates me about that game though. I think the likes of O'Brien and Heaslip would have looked far better had we actually approached the game more intelligently. At the end of the day you can't look good when you're trying to attack from your own half against Italy for more than 2 or 3 phases. We've seen that over and over again the past few years and yet we STILL went out and did it.

If we were defending against Italy on their own ball in their own half then suddenly you bring Heaslip and O'Brien into the game a lot more. If we had attacking ball in their half it suits O'Brien even further. Very frustrating. Not sure if it was a coaching thing or a failing from Sexton/Murray but either way it's the most concerned I've been about us for a long time.

• Advertisement

I think the fact we boot the ball away at every opportunity makes players like SOB look poor. I said he has looked like a busted flush and I maintain that, though I am judging him relative to what I know he has the potential to bring. It's not that he is playing terribly, it's just that he can't give all that he can with the limited opportunities being provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Whisper in yesterday's Sunday Times that an official who's been away from the game may be making a return for the latter stages of the WC...

Has to be the dream boat himself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I think the fact we boot the ball away at every opportunity makes players like SOB look poor. I said he has looked like a busted flush and I maintain that, though I am judging him relative to what I know he has the potential to bring. It's not that he is playing terribly, it's just that he can't give all that he can with the limited opportunities being provided.

yesterday was worst performance from SOB , he is not a no.7 , and after watching Hooper on Saturday .... anyway, now is not the time to experiment , I think we will go with a defensive team , but a back row of Henry, SOB at no.8 and Henderson at 6 should have been tested earlier .. anyway, just grateful we have no serious injuries , and scraped through .. Sexton is irreplaceable on this team, and hopefully yesterday was just a hiccup , cause to get to a semi we need to raise the game all round.

thebaz wrote: »
    yesterday was worst performance from SOB , he is not a no.7

Ah here, he's not in top form but that is a wildly outdated argument. At his best he is up there with the top 7s. I'm not sure what else people expect from him in that regard.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ah here, he's not in top form but that is a wildly outdated argument. At his best he is up there with the top 7s. I'm not sure what else people expect from him in that regard.

He doesn't do what Hooper and Pocock do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

The French game will determine everything.
    Lose and we exit at Quarter Final stage, guaranteed.
    Win and we have a 50:50 chance of getting to semis, Argentina look like they are in good form but are no New Zealand.
    But I fear for us over the next 2 weekends.
    Take the warm up games and yesterday and they equal a team out of form.
    POC, Best, Heaslip, SOB look seriously out of form and thats our 4 key forwards.

He doesn't do what Hooper and Pocock do.

For example?

QuinDixie wrote: »
    The French game will determine everything.
    Lose and we exit at Quarter Final stage, guaranteed.
    Win and we have a 50:50 chance of getting to semis, Argentina look like they are in good form but are no New Zealand.
    But I fear for us over the next 2 weekends.
    Take the warm up games and yesterday and they equal a team out of form.
    POC, Best, Heaslip, SOB look seriously out of form and thats our 4 key forwards.

O'Connell and Best were good yesterday. We expect it from O'Connell so it sometimes goes without any comment but some of the stuff he did was excellent.

For example?

Really?

• Advertisement

Really?

Indulge me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Best is not out of form, that's a unfair allegation. There has to be room in that team for Henry because he breakdown work gives us something that the other options do not provide.

Hoping Murrary got one out of his system against Italy, it did look like he was trying to follow a gameplan albeit poorly (in terms of his kicking at least). You have to hope the plan against France will be different. Again, for me Henry really should start and I would probably look to SOB to come in off the bench for him depending at what stage the game is. Firing on all cylinders he is a better option but he's not there yet I dont believe. I cannot see an argument for Henderson not starting. I refuse to believe that is even crossing the coaches mind at this stage. Toner will come on again around the 60 min mark and bring that security but henderson will start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tirangapete

11/8 france is surely a gift from gods , I'll back them its a win win bet

They win I cover my trip to Wales

They loose and we get excited again about the World Cup

I'm a massive SOB fan , but as he gets older no.6 suits him better .

Watching Hooper on Saturday is what a no. 7 is all about , and SOB right now can't do that , I'd like to see him in for a jaded Heaslip at 8 - not going to happen now

Indulge me

Have you seen them at the breakdown? Did you watch the match v England? Did you watch any Australia match ever?

I'm a massive SOB fan , but as he gets older no.6 suits him better .

Watching Hooper on Saturday is what a no. 7 is all about , and SOB right now can't do that , I'd like to see him in for a jaded Heaslip at 8 - not going to happen now

What is a 7 all about then?

Did we not get past this topic at the 2011 world cup? Everything really is cyclical.

• Advertisement

What is a 7 all about then?

Did we not get past this topic at the 2011 world cup? Everything really is cyclical.

Hopper on Saturday night is what a world class 7 is all about , SOB is really a 6 playing 7 , who possibly should be playing 8

SOB is an awful 8.

Maybe awful is harsh, but he looks significantly worse there.

Hopper on Saturday night is what a world class 7 is all about

Which is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

I'd like to see Henderson, Henry, sob, 678. Fitz 12, 13 henshaw, earls 11 bowe 14

Which is...

fast, energetic, a pest, quick and strong at the breakdown, tackle machine. SOB has always done better as a 6 , say with Jennings at 7 - don't think he has the pace to play like Hooper did on Saturday

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement