Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV3 RWC coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

irishfeen wrote: »
    I miss Ryle Nugent :eek::eek:

I'd settle for welsh commentary on S4C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I'd settle for welsh commentary on S4C

A pint of phlegm needed just to pronounce the score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

As bad as TV3 is compared to RTE or the BBC, ITV's "sir clive" love-in is just sad to watch and then theres stuff like this http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/itvs-commentator-has-just-said-an-incredibly-disrespectful-thing-about-fiji/40367

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The commentary on ITV is fine, and with amount of ads you don't get much of Woodward. Anyway, if Ireland had a world cup winning coach we'd be the very same, it's understandable for an English station.

Barnes is great. Knows his audience and isn't pro England at all. Was complimenting Ireland earlier on, should be an interesting listen the next two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The ads after the HT whistle were brilliant

---HT whistle---
    ad
    --- We'll be back after this ---
    ad

Same just there fúcking infuriating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

Hey Matt.....

THis THat THese and THose THis is THe was THe 'TH' goes

"Tanks to keit for dat"

Tompatrick wrote: »
    Hey Matt.....

THis THat THese and THose THis is THe was THe 'TH' goes

"Tanks to keit for dat"

The Grand Canal Thae-a-ter. That kills me every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 curious incident

I enjoyed the pre match build up on tv3, but the picture appalling in comparison to Itv HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The Grand Canal Thae-a-ter. That kills me every time.

And, "What nooooo did we learn about England dere?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Oh no, not Matt Cooper. He is totally and utterly clueless about sport and tries to speak with authority on every topic with his "super cynical" attitude.

The first thing I hear after the match tonight form him is: "Ah come on now, there was 5 or 6 angles that didn't show he got there. The one that shows he got there could of been an optical illusion, shur. Why can we just ignore the other ones?"

Matt, you haven't a ****ing notion.

He's going to be particularly annoying as many of the games will be on "sat-her-days"

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Barnes is great. Knows his audience and isn't pro England at all. Was complimenting Ireland earlier on, should be an interesting listen the next two months.

generally I like Barnes. He'll call it as he sees it. If England are woeful he'll definitely say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Interview tape snapped. Amateur hour shines through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭Paleface

Kind of ironic that the interview ended in a blank green screen.

Doesn't look like its coming back either. Nice one TV3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Jaysus I'm already sick of tv3...shame ITV doesn't sound to be any better

• Advertisement

It hasnt been too bad. Just too long, too much raiméis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

all you hear on itv is about rwc 2003

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Don't worry lads, the big eff up is on its way.

Sexton penalty in the overtime to beat France...............Black Screen.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

never finished interview -- very poor **** from tv3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

andrew max the rugby guru on now

• Advertisement

duckysauce wrote: »
    andrew max the rugby guru on now

It's a repeat too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Maxwell is excruciating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Don't worry lads, the big eff up is on its way.

Sexton penalty in the overtime to beat France...............Black Screen.........
    Nope, that's what they were testing the green screen tonight for...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Are sky sports doing any matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Watched on itv hd which is free on sky. Pretty good overall. English a bit nauseating but given that they are hosting tournament and clearly very excited I was happy to look past that to a lovely crisp picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭flazio

pc7 wrote: »
    Are sky sports doing any matches?
    Nope. ITV/STV/UTV NI have the exclusive English speaking rights to the Rugby World Cup (S4C in Wales are covering it in Welsh) In Ireland Tv3 have a similar deal struck.

I see TV3 HD is on Sky if you have a HD subscription and eVision at no extra cost (surprised eircough aren't making a big deal about that) what about UPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

He's literally the only decent pundit they have, it's embarassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hard to believe the HD thing for viewers in the Republic in this day and age!

To think I'm a tad disappointed there is no 4K coverage of the WC never mind HD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

bilston wrote: »
    Hard to believe the HD thing for viewers in the Republic in this day and age!

To think I'm a tad disappointed there is no 4K coverage of the WC never mind HD!

We still don't have 1080p broadcasts shur. UPC and EVision are only 720p. Don't know what Sky offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The commentary on ITV is fine, and with amount of ads you don't get much of Woodward. Anyway, if Ireland had a world cup winning coach we'd be the very same, it's understandable for an English station.

I didn't think Woodward was that bad. Yes he keeps harking back to 2003 but it's only natural. It's a clever move by ITV. Woodward is someone most non rugby fans in England will recognise. As of course is JW.

To be fair to ITV they have basically borrowed the BT rugby team plus Miles Harrison for six weeks so it can't be that bad.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    He's literally the only decent pundit they have, it's embarassing.

I thought Hugo McNeill was quite good and had a very good grasp of how Joe goes about his business. Clearly an intelligent man who knows his rugby. Woody also adds a bit and it was he who picked up the truck and trailer for England's first try. I was frustrated that the commentators hadn't seen it, so I was pleased with Woody there :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bring back the ARC

I just hope Conor McNamera won't be doing every match...thought he was dreadful last night.

Also who was it that would NOT shut up about Marler "destroying" his Fijian opponent at every scrum yet failed to noticed he was boring in? Was McNamera or Toland, not sure which

I just hope Conor McNamera won't be doing every match...thought he was dreadful last night.

Ah yeah. The Limerick Altar Boy was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Hugo MacNeil isn't bad but his voice makes me feel sleepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Is there full match replays with analysis online? I was working late last night and was lucky enough to get 3e coverage from about 15 mins into the game, but there was no analysis, there were ad breaksbreaks, and the match was edited down a wee bit like it was extended highlights really disrupted my enjoyment of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

When Connor MacNamara started doing commentary I thought he was really good. Haven't heard him in ages and whatever accent classes he's taking ain't working out.

It's pretty obvious his knowledge of rugby is limited. On a few occasions when the ref awarded a pen it was simply 'penalty to England' and I'm guessing he hadn't a clue why. Probably doesn't really matter to rugby people, but it won't help to hold the fairweather watcher when no explanation is given.

I enjoyed the 2 analysts bit it's a pity TV3 didn't get another anchor. It's all a bit like
    'Sure we had Matt Cooper for GAA, we may as well get him for the RWC'.
    I assume last night was the 'A' team. Be interesting to see what other studio line ups are in store.

I thought TV3 would get some more of Newstalks crew/guests.

• Advertisement

Hidalgo wrote: »
    It's all a bit like
    'Sure we had Matt Cooper for GAA, we may as well get him for the RWC'.
    I assume last night was the 'A' team. Be interesting to see what other studio line ups are in store.

I thought TV3 would get some more of Newstalks crew/guests.

Cooper hosted the last world cup for them too. I think he's grand on the oul wireless but he's not as comfortable on the telly.

Cooper hosted the last world cup for them too. I think he's grand on the oul wireless but he's not as comfortable on the telly.

He's just bad. Arguing about the angle that showed Vunipola's try being the only one and not being conclusive because it was the only one...

And then Muddy Wulliams getting all confused about the first try; both agreeing and disagreeing with Woody without really explaining...

...and the interview with Joe Sch... [green screen] :mad:

It was the 2007 WC the last time Cooper hosted. RTE had the last one.

They should have gone with Tommy Martin,he's not too bad and a proper sportsguy. Looking forward to Shane Jennings and Neil Back input.

rrpc wrote: »
    He's just bad. Arguing about the angle that showed Vunipola's try being the only one and not being conclusive because it was the only one...

That was bad alright, optical illusion?!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marcoz

Thought the whole thing is a bit amateurish alright. Bring back the RTE coverage. Its a crying shame that the coverage of the national team wont be shown on national channel. Like I hate George hook as much as next guy but hes got the entertainment factor. Just feels more normal to watch the Rugby on RTE. And I have totally to agree with people who talk about Matt cooper. The man doesn't have a clue about sport. He aint no Tom Mcguirk

Will frano be on?

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It was the 2007 WC the last time Cooper hosted.

Wow, it was that long ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

How much make up have they put on big Mal! He looks like a wax work dummy or a cadaver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

3player is fecked, keeps freezing during the intro ads. Gonna have to get out of bed and turn on the TV :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    3player is fecked, keeps freezing during the intro ads. Gonna have to get out of bed and turn on the TV :(

Having the same problem here. Sadly, I don't have a TV to revert to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

The curse of TV3. Rugby world cup 07 and I think a few soccer games they showed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement