Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Hate to be that guy but...

The commentator says "...great mind, great vision...", how about passing it inside to score under the posts rather than stepping three players?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Aviva A Premiership starts tonight. Some clubs have their teams named. Plenty of Irish players involved

http://www.fifteenrugby.com/pro-rugby/news/aviva-premiership/school-leavers-dominate-aviva-a-league-squads-on-opening-night/

Callum Sheedy who played u18 clubs two seasons ago and u19 and for the u19 7s team last season is on the bench for Bristol
    Shane Monahan starts on the wing for Gloucester against Northampton
    Kieran Treadwell who had played for Irish Youths before playing for England u18 is on bench for Harlequins
    Danny Barnes is starting on the wing for Newcastle A and Jerry Sexton starts in the second row for Exeter following his recent move there from France

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Pretty interesting video on the tackling techniques employed by the Seahawks, emphasizing safety and inspired by rugby.

This is something I've been interested in over the last year playing in the Irish American Football League. In the games I've played you can tell who has rugby experience by how they tackle and it tends to be a lot safer.

I don't know how this would be taken by NFL fans if the league as a whole was to emphasize the safer tackle as many of the fans like the big, highlight reel hits. Watch any game and I'd say 80%+ of the tackles made would be illegal in rugby.

I think football and rugby have plenty they could learn off each other. I noticed that around the time of Joe taking over Leinster how he was employing a certain amount of agility and footwork drills that were at the very least inspired by football. I've also noticed in general how certain football agility/footwork drills are starting to seep down to the local amateur teams too.

• Advertisement

Damn this is a good standard of School's rugby.

Hooker's stepping at ~ 03:45 is disgracefully good.

They appear to score 412543 trys against the blue&white striped team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Damn this is a good standard of School's rugby.

Hooker's stepping at ~ 03:45 is disgracefully good.

They appear to score 412543 trys against the blue&white striped team.

class stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I wonder were any of them playing for the Australian schools side that came over here last season.

EDIT: Seems there's only 1 player from Scots college in the Australian school side this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

So I see Wasps have dropped 'London' from their name.

The permanent stadium move to Coventry to the Ricoh Arena is a step closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So I see Wasps have dropped 'London' from their name.

The permanent stadium move to Coventry to the Ricoh Arena is a step closer.

Well they don't need to move to justify dropping London from their name, it's been incorrect for years!

I hope they don't move, I like having them around the corner from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Well they don't need to move to justify dropping London from their name, it's been incorrect for years!

I hope they don't move, I like having them around the corner from me.

Putting aside personal preferences, do you think High Wycombe is a good place for a premiership side?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

What's their catchment area? I wonder how Coventry RFC feel about the possible move.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Putting aside personal preferences, do you think High Wycombe is a good place for a premiership side?

There is a lot of rugby around this area, a lot of traditional clubs and some of the most historic. Adams Park is a good ground as well.

I don't know what Coventry is like, so I can't really say if moving there would be a good idea.

Leinster's Europe opponents Quins nilled 39-0 at home to Saracens tonight. Spent half the game in Saracens 22 but hopeless once in there. Probably had around 10 mauls from within 10 metres but Saracens seemed to know where the ball was going every single time. Could have spent days on the line without scoring. Evans is in terrible goal kicking form there. Sarries barely had to break sweat for their points too.

Leinster should be able to beat them twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

matthew8 wrote: »
    Leinster's Europe opponents Quins nilled 39-0 at home to Saracens tonight. Spent half the game in Saracens 22 but hopeless once in there. Probably had around 10 mauls from within 10 metres but Saracens seemed to know where the ball was going every single time. Could have spent days on the line without scoring. Evans is in terrible goal kicking form there. Sarries barely had to break sweat for their points too.

Leinster should be able to beat them twice.

It's a long time to the Christmas back to backs....still though that's disappointing for Quins.

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Being nilled is more than disappointing, especially at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm going to Munster vs Saracens in October. If we get nilled at home to that shower...

No easy games in the premiership

I'm going to Munster vs Saracens in October. If we get nilled at home to that shower...

You'll become a full-time dyed in the wool hardcore Leinster fan?

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's a long time to the Christmas back to backs....still though that's disappointing for Quins.

To underline that point, check out the footage of Northampton in September last season, on that form they would have been far better against us than they ended up being, due to their injuries by the time we faced them. Quins aren't quite at that level at their best, but they'll push us at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Not sure I'd read too much into the Quins result. Recently, they've had a thing both for starting slow, and for being Saracens' bunnies. The captain Marler thing seems to be taking a while to settle in as well.

It's entirely possible they'll repeat last season's stunt of radically picking up and having an alright season after all, in which case Leinster will have to work for any wins to say the least. Then again, this could be the season that relying on a geriatric 10, Academy players over proven pros and skill and fitness over bulk finally comes unstuck.

Think the key either way is Evans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bit better from London Welsh this week.

They lost 53-26 away to Bath!

They did very well in attack but defended horribly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Ah ffs he's being ridiculous here. The draw wasn't too early. It was too early for Wales. They went through a bad run and now he's pissed there were consequences. Tough Warren. Thems the rules. They're the same for everyone. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Speaking of Leinster's HEC opponents this year, I feel Wasps will need watching. They nearly did Saracens and have just done Saints. I was very impressed with their recruitment over the summer, there's been some really clever signings and their first choice pack now looks really strong. Worries over mental and defensive strength remain, but beating Northampton in the manner they did should ease those a little. I wouldn't be too surprised if they gave Leinster quite a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Speaking of Leinster's HEC opponents this year, I feel Wasps will need watching. They nearly did Saracens and have just done Saints. I was very impressed with their recruitment over the summer, there's been some really clever signings and their first choice pack now looks really strong. Worries over mental and defensive strength remain, but beating Northampton in the manner they did should ease those a little. I wouldn't be too surprised if they gave Leinster quite a lot of trouble.

I think the goal will be to win all the home games well and then we can afford an away loss and still get the home QF. The group will be a tough but Castres have had a pretty shocking start to the season (apparently Quins have been poor too), and I'd be very disappointed if we don't get a home QF. From there we can just see how things go

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9471322,00.html

So, Delon is a galatico now?

PRL clubs to increase their salary cap by half a million again. BT money coming into play or is it the RFU RWC compensation put into the salaries?

Winters wrote: »

PRL clubs to increase their salary cap by half a million again. BT money coming into play or is it the RFU RWC compensation put into the salaries?

Add the addition of the "Galactico" and it's more like a £1m -> £1.5m increase.
    Absolutely huge increase.

Although, as Birch has pointed out, just means that all players are worth more. And in 4/5 years another increase needed in order to give more purchasing power. Rinse repeat, wage inflation, rinse repeat.

• Advertisement

Winters wrote: »

It's the BT money. This is exactly what the PRL have been after as they are looking to compete with the French clubs.
    Add the addition of the "Galactico" and it's more like a £1m -> £1.5m increase.
    Absolutely huge increase.

Although, as Birch has pointed out, just means that all players are worth more. And in 4/5 years another increase needed in order to give more purchasing power. Rinse repeat, wage inflation, rinse repeat.

Yeah, not the most sustainable of models. But then I thought that might have been made painfully obvious over the last few years generally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement