Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Kayak. Sit-On-Top?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Just letting you guys know that Storm99 can do the 28th as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

If 28th is the prefered date then make it a late start - 12 0r 1pm - I'm working nights and finish at 7am :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lank

Suit Up for the 28th so.

You want to sleep as well? Manys the time I've gone out on the river after a 12hr shift, perfect way to unwind. :D

We'll just be finishing soup n sambos before you arrive Steve! :P

Pete's gonna come along as well, he might join me in the Canadian, he'll have to sit up front, coz the dog gets first choice!

A lot of good information on Lough Lene here...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lough_Lene 20 metres deep, that must be shalllow compared to Loch Lomond, Steve?

I've rounded up a few others too, will keep yiz informed.

RE: 28th - Wot time suits everyone??

No one need panic - Lough Lene is only 20m deep right out in the middle. I met divers there a few months ago from Navan Rescue who were training in the underwater shelf, they explained that it's all very shallow until you hit the shelf - very cool!! :rolleyes:
    It's a nice lake with good facilities. There's toilets, showers and loads of parking. For anyone not too sure or confident it's very shallow in most places, even out in the middle there's three decent islands so you're not far from land no matter where you are - Just remember your PFD. I was out on Sunday - it took 3hrs to paddle around the perimeter.

Dave - You can assist rescue when I attempt to roll my Blackwater - are you brining your Piranha as well or just the Canadian? it's a great place to practice - there's a nice wee jetty with a buoyed off area - even has a sandy bottom :D!

Anyone need directions just give me a shout!

• Advertisement

Anytime is fine for me and Steve tells me now that his shift pattern has changed, the same goes for him. So what suits anybody else?

I am taking it easy from the whitewater kayaking for a while, my injuries haven't healed as well as I had hoped or as quickly. I suppose I could bring the Pyranha along, we could put the barbie in it and tow it behind!

I'm gonna email the other users from this thread as well, in case they haven't bookmarked it and I have a few others expressing an interest too.

Anyone need a lift? I'm coming from Swords, possibly via Trim - slight diversions possible, if necessary.

2pm or even earlier suits me. After that its gets a bit dodgy.

How's about midday?

I haven't had any response from all t'others, except for one bloke & his GF, who can't make this weekend but would hope to make a future date.

_MG_3120.jpg
    This is what I'm planning to do, on the 5th September - The Liffey Descent - mad or wha?

mid-day fine by me!

A good days paddling and a nice day out folks, we'll have to do it again sometime soon!
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Andrew_dub

Hi!
    Do you still do sit-on kayaking?

Hi,
    Unfortunately my Kayaks were stolen from my garage at my home (I never had any sit-on tops though) last March - I haven't been yakking since.
    I've just bought another Dagger Blackwater as it's a good all round boat.
    I'm changing the type of paddling I do now - don't see me going back to whitewater as I prefer more endurance yakking

Are you just starting out Andy?

Yes, just got my first sit on top kayak. Just starting

It's a great hobby and good way to keep fit - there's so much to learn.
    Do you have a good PFD, wetsuit etc etc??

I've got beyonce, going to get lifejacket this weekend probably 3/2mm. Which thikness would you recommend?

Andrew_dub wrote: »
    I've got beyonce, going to get lifejacket this weekend probably 3/2mm. Which thikness would you recommend?

I think you mean 3/2mm thickness of wetsuit?
    It all depends on what type of paddling your intending to do. If it's around lakes etc in summer/ spring then that wetsuit would be ok, but if you want to paddle in the colder times of the year and possibly coastal then a thicker one definately helps.
    What type of PFD do you have? What make is it? It's the most important piece of kit you'll purchase.

I have Bestco beyonce for kayaking.
    So, you think that I need 5/3mm wetsuit if I'll do kayaking on tje sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Some type of thermal protection is recommended as you might be in the water for a while if anything goes wrong. A PFD is a must.

Which places around Dublin or Wicklow are great for sit-on-top?

Sea kayaking around Ireland can be cold. The water temp at this time of year is between 6-8oc, combined with the wind chill factor can be damn cold.
    A good pair of wetsuit/ kayaking gloves would also be a useful investment.
    Kayaking is a sport where you spend a lot of the time getting wet. When you're 1st starting out you'll also be in the water quite a lot, so keeping yourself warm is very important - being cold just makes the whole experience unenjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

[mod note] moved from sailing & boating

My first experience: today I paddled from Killiney Beach to Dalkey island and back - beautiful scinery around.

Next time will do around Dalkey Island. If somebody interested - welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Has this kayak group that went to lough Lene, got together since?. I have a small Sit on, and spend most of my time between dublin and the lake county westmeath. Would love to get the kayak out a bit more, but would like to go kayaking in a group for obvious safety reasons.

I would like but go on holidays and will come back in July

Advertisement