Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey Descent Plans

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I had a cracking day. Didn't get my official time as they were taking ages and I wanted home. As for those in Canadians involved in the near drowning of a poor Kayaker in the jungle, shame on you and karma can be a Bitch. All in all a cracking day. Really enjoyed it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

MugMugs wrote: »
    As for those in Canadians involved in the near drowning of a poor Kayaker in the jungle, shame on you and karma can be a Bitch.

Yeah it was my first time doing something like this and I was shocked by the way Canadians behaved, they were taking people out left right and centre. What are you supposed to do when they plough into the back of you?

Anyway it was my first Liffey Descent and I really enjoyed it, weather was great for it too.

Got my times.03:17 MSGP 28TH. I'll land the top 20 next year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Are they online? where abouts?

Found them https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlBGF35XclBZdEhxd3dxZl9fRHNodC1zQ1owWnJlTHc&hl=en_US#gid=0

2:44 came in 6th for mens GP! Deffinitly would have taken that if told before hand, but regreting that mess up at the start that cost me about 10-15 minutes!

• Advertisement

KenHy wrote: »
    Found them https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlBGF35XclBZdEhxd3dxZl9fRHNodC1zQ1owWnJlTHc&hl=en_US#gid=0

2:44 came in 6th for mens GP! Deffinitly would have taken that if told before hand, but regreting that mess up at the start that cost me about 10-15 minutes!

Congrats !

What happened you at the start ?

Thought GPs were in the 4th wave but either we were in the 3rd or I missed ones cause I was doing a bit of a warm up past the area with the canadians when all the GPs started racing, took me at least 5 minutes to get to the line and I lost a whole load more time behind slower boats till the far side of the Jungle till I got enough space to actualy move on.

Slap on the back for yerself in that case.

That's a great time.

I hate the way they start us. Tell you to back away and bollock you down if you get close to the start and then hammer the starter right then !

Did I just miss one of the starts, or did they start T2s and GPs at the same time (which lead to my error?)

Did I just miss one of the starts, or did they start T2s and GPs at the same time (which lead to my error?)

No, All GP's were started same time

K1
    K2
    GP

Then the Canadians uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

• Advertisement

I'd got a mail from the ICU before the race stating the following,
    ICU Email wrote:
    Also, the race start sequence is going to be:
    1. All Racing K2 Classes
    2. All Racing Single Classes (K1, WW racer, Junior, Senior, Womens, Masters)
    3. All T2’s
    4. All GP’s

5. All Canadians (C2, C3)

Please make note of these.

I can't have been the only one cought out by it :( they realy should have made it clear they were going to change the start before the race.

I'd got a mail from the ICU before the race stating the following,

I can't have been the only one cought out by it :( they realy should have made it clear they were going to change the start before the race.
    Change to start order, all GP's now start together.

GP's went together.

What about the T2s though?

No idea when they went.

I was MS GP and I went on the third wave with the rest of the GP's anyway.

Supose it's all for fun anyway. They've changed the results on the site now so I've been demoted to 7th. Sill happy with it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Exactly as per the ICU email quoted above. T2's went 3rd.

From experience you have to be very very alert at the start of the Decent if you want to do well. We were quite alert in T2 class and I sprinted into first line of boats, gliding past 3 lines of plastics. Got a well decent start. Pity about the swims. Next year.

I must have just missed one of the starts then. I heard what I thought was the 3rd start and turned around to go to the start line only to see all the GP people ahead of me starting to race.

Will learn for next year anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Star order was k2's k1's, t2's gp's, you were the fourth start, so you must have missed one! Hard luck on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Canadians arent causing all the problems, we had a kayak infront asked them to move right as we came through (As we did with everyone we passed) the kayaker went left and ended up spinning us and them out in the Jungle!!!!

However collisions will happen when you squeeze 400-500 people through the Jungle within 15mins its the nature of the game, I would be thankful that it was a low water level for the race or the strainer that was taking people out in the jungle would have been a whole lot worse!! I think they will need to do a much better trim of the place in there for next year as it got pretty tight and You cant expect People who are racing for medals to Queue up after getting a good start, that said people should be polite and allow other pass and hold back If totally Necessary.

Sure it was all good in the end, complaints are made every year heat of the moment and all that.
    Cracking day!

Paddy

(PS. It I wasnt in the canoe that was complained about)

PPS. If anyone would like to learn how to paddle Open Canoes in a controlled way and see how they can respond in a white water environment feel free to give me a shout I have level 3 skills courses coming up!

Credit where Credit is due Paddy. A lot of Canadians were signalling their direction and intent and I pulled in and let them past.

There was a bit of an incident though where a Q of paddlers all signalled stop and all did as there was a K1 caught in the squeeze through. Just as he cleared a Canadian came up the outside of the Q and literally barged a Kayaker through causing him a capsize. Watching his head disappear under the tree kinda shook everybody there.

All good in the end and nobodys hurt so another sucessful year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

pmccormack wrote: »
    I think they will need to do a much better trim of the place in there for next year as it got pretty tight and You cant expect People who are racing for medals to Queue up after getting a good start, that said people should be polite and allow other pass and hold back If totally Necessary.

From what I read there was a rather large trim done on the Jungle this year. There was only the one spot that I remember that was really bad and a couple of other not so great places.

You'd need the OPW to do a full job rather than a small bunch of volunteers to really get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

I did 2 runs of the Jungle the week before and it was clean as a whistle both times. Saturday was the first flood down the river in probably 3 or 4 months and nobody can predict what way that will affect trees, bushes and debris on the river. Same thing applies to the tree that got lodged on Parmo! Nobody could predict those sort of things...

In fairness the one spot in the Jungle was very tight, but as a whole, i've seen the stretch from Straffan to Templemills in much much worse condition!

Advertisement