Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your dream set up...?

Options
  • 06-03-2010 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Just out of courosity,

Out of all the kit on the market today, if money wan't an object how would you kit list read?

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

Just out of courosity,

Out of all the kit on the market today, if money wan't an object how would you kit list read?

A

all of it. x2 :D

Gui gui prod for play.
    Mega SSRS for surf.
    Riot sniper for irish creeks.
    topo for plain awsomeness.
    Select W1 paddle.
    scorpion tank for transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

A tank... see I never would have thought of that.

I've used pretty much all of the kit (apart from the Mega) you mentioned there at some stage or another, have to a say the Select W1's are a great paddle.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

Cool post - Here is my entry

Artistic dry suit
    Artistic baker helmet
    Artistic waist mounted throwline
    Stohlquist Descent BA
    Duem Pro deck
    Rough stuff crank carbon paddle
    Stohlquist caveman boots
    Hiko teddy fleece

All can apparently be found in one location lol ;)- check the resources sticky for used kayak dealer :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Chris ya cheeky monkey,

You might forgive me if I might think your views are a little bias :rolleyes:

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

nookie assassin drysuit,
    mitchell paddles
    and a wavesport fuze
    snaodragon deck too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

The shoulder I had last year :(

after that I couldn't care less, once it's functional. In my experience I Dont think there's as big of difference between most of the main brands as people make out, (unless your paddling at the top level). Personally I'm quite happy with my Mamba - River boat, ZG 54 - Play boat, Select Paddles, Palm sidewinder dry kit, sweet rocker helmet and astral Green BA.

Hey Ken,

Sorry to hear about the shoulder, that sucks big time.

I see what you are saying about not thinking there isn't as big a differance in kit preformance as people make out, that said I reckon allot of intro/budget kit is a false ecconmy.

Like do you think you really get twice the value from kit thats only half as good?

A

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

That's true, I don't mean that a set of Sclegals, a Nylon deck, Invader and a ww helmet would be as good as the kit I use.

But if I was using a burn, JK Allstar, Werner paddles, Seal deck, and Kotakat dry kit, It would make damn all difference to me. What I'm getting at is once you get to a certain level of "good" gear, it won't make a difference to the vast majority of paddlers out there. Hence I don't relay care what I have, once it's up to the task I want it to do.

Yep I'd be pretty much in agreement with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

Yep - I have to agree Ive seen too many people getting past the basics and moving onto progresive strokes and failing cause of basic paddles, once you go past forward reverse stop and sweep you need a 1/2 decent paddle. I still think € 300 - €500 for a paddle is mad but its all in the perspective of what use its getting. Same again on BAs a basic palm with chest harness does the same basic rescue job as all of the top end BAs again its in the perspective of its use, Footwear I would definately recommend proper river shoes / boots and not trainers - better grip and more ease of releasing. Helmets are a must to pay for - but they still have to fit and all are not 100% - look at the rocker with the inner bit falling down over your eyes (Blind paddling down a G4 - no thanks).
    Its all about geting the best you can afford and prioritising things, my suggestion is paddle - helmet - BA - Dry wear.
    There is of course the - I WANT FACTOR and if you can go for it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

A limitless bank balance, a bottomless beer keg and good mates :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ooooooooooo Good Thread !

Well some decent foot blocks for my Projext and an endless supply of Projects in the boot of my car.

That new PEAK UK Drysuit that zips from the leg up... I like the style of that.... plus no snagging on your BA.

A Palm BA and a Kevlar Palm Deck.... One of the old ones.

Carbon Werner Crank aswell.

Sweet Full Cut Rocker... Blue...

Somebody mentioned a RIOT Sniper.... I paddle a H3 at the moment and would give my back teeth for a sniper ! :(

And a nice big Volvo V70 to carry them all around.... Or a VW Transporter :)

Its great to see a few folks have got back on this thread.

I supose I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where I have all the kit I could need and I think its currently the best out there for what I do.

If I was to add to the stuff I have I would really like to get my hands on a Mega Megathron but seeing as I only kayak surf once / twice a year max it would be a total waste on me.

Also as of late i have started to entertain the idea of doing some sea kayaking.

But next up in the line for me is replaceing my broken DSLR which is srtting me back not far off the cost of a new boat, but sure its all par for the course or so I keep telling myself.

Adrian

MugMugs wrote: »
    Somebody mentioned a RIOT Sniper.... I paddle a H3 at the moment and would give my back teeth for a sniper ! :(

that would probably be me. ya, i always liked the look of the sniper. i am in a cfs, which is good enough, but a little long for my liking.
    shame there really isn't anything being made like it anymore. when people buy creekers they dont really fathom the fact that irish creeks are not the same as euro/ american etc creeks. they are more like rock filled drains. you usually dont need the length to punch through holes. just something that deflects off rocks well.

I see what you mean by the advantages of having a short creek boat like the Sniper or Blisstick SCUD but what they gain in agility they suffer massivly from in lack of speed.

In any kind of high volume water they strugle to cross big eddy lines, can't punch large holes and the lack of volume can = big down time on drops.

But if you really wanted a Sniper a brand new one could be picked up for £350.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Maybe someone who has a SCUD could chime in but I heard that they can handle big waters, large holes etc. like they are a larger sized boat? One lad told me he was really surprised by what it could handle.

Teferi wrote: »
    Maybe someone who has a SCUD could chime in but I heard that they can handle big waters, large holes etc. like they are a larger sized boat? One lad told me he was really surprised by what it could handle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they can't handle bigger water. Its just being shorter they are slower and this makes things a little harder that they might be in a faster boat.

A

.....they strugle to cross big eddy lines, can't punch large holes.......
    sure if you are paddling the alps, chillie, stuff like that. most of what i have paddled here just needs something to bounce off rocks. in fact i am on my first creeker bought this year. before that it was playboat all the way. but old age weakens ankle and fortitude. only once recieved a proper stopper workout, in my sub7 (rubbish on rivers) and it was in a pretty meaty hole on the ballisodare.
    i remember back in the day when it was "you cant paddle that in a playboat". (back then the pyranha attak and storm were playboats) so we paddled them in playboats. eventually everything got paddled in playboats. and no one died. now things have gone full circle and people are taking mambas out on the avonmore. :rolleyes: creekers are not used because they are needed. just because they are fashionable. but hey, each to their own.
    i personally like the look of the sniper, the ammo and the scud for irish rivers. short and bulbous. bit like most irish paddlers really:eek::eek::eek: lol
    But if you really wanted a Sniper a brand new one could be picked up for £350.
    where would i get such a sweet deal on a sniper? i have no money for one (broke my paddle two days ago. still heartbroken. cant afford to replace it either, so no hope for a new boat) but there are plenty here who i am sure would love to get a creeker for 350 quid if they could. plenty of bandits looking for nearly new prices for out of warranty boats over on irishfreestyle. admitedly, plenty of suckers buying them too. still. with the popularity of creekers means you can get great deals on playboats sometimes these days.

Hey Irishlostboy,

We are vering off topic a bit here but such is the nature of internet forums I suppose.

I've never been to Chillie but I've been to the Alps not to mention a few other spots over the years. I would be more in the thinking of why not try paddle a boat that helps you paddle around rocks / anywhere you want on the river rather than something thats sole pourpas is to just pinball off rocks on the way down.

Also I come from the era of where I paddled everything in my playboat long before the creek boat invasion, thats just the way it was in the late 90's early 00's. The thing is that with enough tallent and skill you could almost get away paddling class 5 in a squirt boat.

What raver & creek boats bring to the mix is a safer boat for when things go wrong. Granted you might be able to crusie fown a class 5 in your sub 7 but if you get pinned the lack of step out pillars and the hull design will more than likely mean your boat will fold in two with you sitting inside.

Bad times I'm sure we can agree.

Look there are no hard and fast rules here, we all make our own choices but I reckon try understand the whole situation before wrighting off either side...?

As for river/creek boats on the Avonmore... thats a river I've littlery paddled in excess of 100 times and at all sorts of water levels. I can hold my hands up and say I have never had near as much fun in a freestyle boat as I have in my creekboat. Going for those little cheeky little boofs / flairs, playing the whole river.

Oh and how do you reckon a short freestyle boat might handle Jacksons like this. :D

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 waterdogadventu

The thing is that with enough tallent and skill you could almost get away paddling class 5 in a squirt boat.
    Really? That I would like to see.

I've owned a scud and currently paddle a Jefe. I've paddled grade 4/5 in both. and the scud can handle big water, 1.3 on the flesk as an example, fine. If anything the potential for dynamic moves in the scud is more.
    when people buy creekers they dont really fathom the fact that irish creeks are not the same as euro/ american etc creeks. they are more like rock filled drains. you usually dont need the length to punch through holes. just something that deflects off rocks well.

Agreed

I'm talking about Irish rivers here.
    Look there are no hard and fast rules here, we all make our own choices but I reckon try understand the whole situation before wrighting off either side...?

And remember, don't believe everything you read on internet forums, anyone over explaining things is usually full of ****e.

Bryan

• Advertisement

i have actually seen class 4 being paddled in a squirt boat. the old squirtboats. big long needle like yokes. inspiring. it was a really old vid. old when i watched it in about 97.

you can paddle anything in any boat.

personally i find my creeker boring. for me, the playboat makes smaller rivers seem bigger and lesser gnarlyness seem more crazy. but when it is gnarly i like taking it knowing i will probably survive.

personally i find every boat i have paddled very different, no matter what it was labled. my flirt is great on rivers, but pants in surf. my sub 7 was truely horrible to paddle rivers in, but owned in surf. my cfs goes where it is pointed but is not very exciting on the smaller stuff. my attaks were mad fun back in the day. my pirohette (the really big old one) was fine as a first boat, but i would rather eat my own eyeballs than go back to it. course everyone will have a different take on each boat to me. that is why boat discussion is great!

and yup, this is a bit off-topic, but its nice that there is discussion at all. ;)

Really? That I would like to see.

Byran,

Just for you

web3.jpg

spout.jpg

A

Advertisement