Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

The Dublin Racing Festival and Punchestown have provided better clashes than Cheltenham recently due to the already diluted four days at Cheltenham. A fifth day will just speed up the festivals decline, it will happen though as money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭famagusta

lemush wrote: »
    The Dublin Racing Festival and Punchestown have provided better clashes than Cheltenham recently due to the already diluted four days at Cheltenham. A fifth day will just speed up the festivals decline, it will happen though as money talks.

Ya you've summed it up well. Money talks, it will happen sooner or later. It is definitely bad news, 5 days of six races, i wonder will the ticket price be reduced by 1/7th?!

The whole set up of British racing, fixtures being owned by the tracks, the BHA/Jockey Club etc only care about their interests, prizemoney, the wider picture is being forgotten about, its on a downward spiral over there

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

The dilution is so bad already that the possibility of a fifth day doesnt annoy me as much as I thought it would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭famagusta

ya true, the Dublin Racing Festival will be the 'Quality' festival going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

lemush wrote: »

Punchestown is the worst of the lot (Bar GAlway which is obviously silly), nearly every field is a 4 runner affair, and these loads of low class handicaps. Punchestowns proper races could fit into 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 VelaSupernova

Absolutely no need for 5 days for Cheltenham. Remember until 2005 the festival was run over 3 days. The extra day will mean a couple of handicaps and maybe moving a showcase race, but aside from that I can't see any reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Punchestown is the worst of the lot (Bar GAlway which is obviously silly), nearly every field is a 4 runner affair, and these loads of low class handicaps. Punchestowns proper races could fit into 2 days.

I don't know where you're getting the 4 runner fields idea, but I'd agree otherwise. I can't see any way a meeting needs to be longer than 3 days if it's quality you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Agree with the majority, 5 days would be ****e! Keep 4 days or even cut it to 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Supposedly they need to to add just 2 races for a five day festival - 6 races per day . Wonder what 2 races they will come up!

Also gold cup day on a Sat means it will be clashing with other Saturday sport so I wonder will viewership be down?

Advertisement