Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Lights Wall Prep

Options
  • 15-06-2021 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I’m planning to render our exterior wall and I’d like to have wall mounted exterior lights. I’ll get the electrician in but wanted to ask how you first fix.

Do you to wall then render?
    Do you put the wire into some trunking?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

Pic

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Are you planning to fit flood lights?

If yes; I suggest attaching some uni-bar to the wall after rendering; then you can fit any bolt formation of LED floodlight without ever having to drill the wall again.

LED floodlights are one piece item; difficult to find the same bracket formation in the replacement unit so uni-bar is king.

pm0ZbN76j

poELAbc4j

Thanks for that.

It’s normal lighting I was thinking about; rather than flood lights.

Either way, what about the wiring. Is it normal wiring - as it looks like in the pic - rather than the swa. Is this wire itself buried in render or a trunking?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It depends really. Looking at the picture it is a single-block garden wall. Are you looking to have all the wiring completely hidden?

You could run SWA along the wall and have a junction at each pillar where there is a light. But it would probably better and neater to run the SWA underground and come up at each pillar where there is a light. Often the SWA would feed in/out of a junction box low down and a single run of cable used up to the light.

If going for the industrial look you could run some galvanised 20mm conduit up the wall to the light.

It depends really. Looking at the picture it is a single-block garden wall. Are you looking to have all the wiring completely hidden?

You could run SWA along the wall and have a junction at each pillar where there is a light. But it would probably better and neater to run the SWA underground and come up at each pillar where there is a light. Often the SWA would feed in/out of a junction box low down and a single run of cable used up to the light.

If going for the industrial look you could run some galvanised 20mm conduit up the wall to the light.

Thanks for that. I’m have swa wired in and waiting outside until we did up the garden, which is now. I could figure how the wire the leads up from the junction box - as you suggest would be hidden. And I do want it hidden.

Do you put it in a trunking and render Over that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If you want it hidden you will need to chase the wall, I'm not sure what the requirements are for outdoor lighting, i assume they need to be contained.

Low down junction box to bring the SWA in/out of and chase some oval wavin into the wall to bring it from the back of the junction box up to the light. Junction box and light fitting would need to be sealed to the wall with some silicone to stop water getting into either.

If you want it hidden you will need to chase the wall, I'm not sure what the requirements are for outdoor lighting, i assume they need to be contained.

Low down junction box to bring the SWA in/out of and chase some oval wavin into the wall to bring it from the back of the junction box up to the light. Junction box and light fitting would need to be sealed to the wall with some silicone to stop water getting into either.

An uplight from the ground / bed onto the wall sound easier with a similar effect. Sound reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

LenWoods: Where did you get the uni-bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

wait4me wrote: »
    LenWoods: Where did you get the uni-bar?

It comes in 2 metre lengths; the place where I work has a maintenance workshop and they keep it in stock; cut me a section;
    I've also saw it on vans made in to roof racks; it says uni-bar on the end caps,
    Try your local electrical wholesalers

Advertisement