Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you extend a gas boiler flue?

• 15-06-2021 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭

So I want to put a canopy/pergola attached to the back of the the house, only problem I have is the flue is just above the door, so I'm goosed for the height of the canopy roof if I put it under the flue. I need to go above the flue, so I was thinking can I get an extension, cut an upright through the perspex roof and angle out at 90 degrees over the roof?

I'd like to redirect it anyway as I feel its very close to the window and extractor fan vent.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

rob316 wrote: »
    So I want to put a canopy/pergola attached to the back of the the house, only problem I have is the flue is just above the door, so I'm goosed for the height of the canopy roof if I put it under the flue. I need to go above the flue, so I was thinking can I get an extension, cut an upright through the perspex roof and angle out at 90 degrees over the roof?

I'd like to redirect it anyway as I feel its very close to the window and extractor fan vent.

Only a Registered Gas Installer can carry out such works.
    It will depend on the manufacturers specification and the type of flue required for the boiler.
    It may require going back to the boiler itself and starting with new flue sections in order for the work to comply with gas standards.
    It will then need to be checked using a Flue Gas Analyser and a conformance certificate issued.
    Any DIY work carried out could result in a fatality due to a defective flue producing high levels of Carbon Monoxide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

What model boiler do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

Can you put a plume kit on it

xl500 wrote: »
    Can you put a plume kit on it

Two different pressure zones which can have a negative impact on combustion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Had my friend a gas installer look at it and he said the boiler is as old as time (linea 24) so no extension piece on the market. Any of the new condenser boilers he said no problem, parts readily available. So its replace the boiler or forget about the pergola. I'll leave it for now

• Advertisement

Had my friend a gas installer look at it and he said the boiler is as old as time (linea 24) so no extension piece on the market. Any of the new condenser boilers he said no problem, parts readily available. So its replace the boiler or forget about the pergola. I'll leave it for now

It is not that simple, I am seeing more and more RGIs panicking after the flues they extended have been reported and the boilers switched off.

The work is being done but the home owner/installer have to make sure it complies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

gary71 wrote: »
    It is not that simple, I am seeing more and more RGIs panicking after the flues they extended have been reported and the boilers switched off.

The work is being done but the home owner/installer have to make sure it complies.

Like what Gary, where are the difficulties tending to arise?

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Like what Gary, where are the difficulties tending to arise?

Lack of compliance with Gas regs or MI.

If a flue is fitted or altered outside of MI or Gas regs and a covering letter cannot be gotten from the manufacturers then usually the boiler is shut down and reported when found by another RGI.

As flues are a hot topic I’m finding more flues are being reported that would of been ignored a few years ago.

I was trying to help a RGI recently who put himself in a tight spot because he did exactly what the OP inquired about, the boiler now has two different pressure zones so it is not a balanced flued boiler anymore and doesn’t comply, the RGI has to now reposition the boiler at his own expense.

Advertisement