Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP can only give me first dose of vaccine

Options
  • 10-06-2021 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

I'm in my early 20's and have an underlying condition. My GP said she can only give me the first dose of the phizer vaccine but said that she cannot give me the second dose. How will I get my second dose 4 weeks later? My age cohort may not be called by then. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Orlak2410 wrote: »
    I'm in my early 20's and have an underlying condition. My GP said she can only give me the first dose of the phizer vaccine but said that she cannot give me the second dose. How will I get my second dose 4 weeks later? My age cohort may not be called by then. Thanks.

This is most unusual? That is not how this is supposed to work. Like yourself I've an underlying condition, cohort 7, twice your age and generally GP"S Seem to be looking after those with underlying conditions. I have dose 1 done and just got called for 2nd tomorrow week, Pfizer.

Has the GP given a reason why only one Dose? The only thing I can recommend is calling the HSE Vacinations number, listed on their website, it can take a while and explain the situation.

I'm concerned about your situation as I'm not at all sure if you can be on two lists if that makes sense.

Maybe other posters have similar experience and offer better advice, good luck regardless :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

My gp didn't do cohorts 4/7 so (eventually) ended up at a vaccination hub. Getting the first and not the second seems really strange. Is she going to refer you to a hub? (they can refer to the hubs, but mine had issues w/ the HSE complaining about their IT system)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Orlak2410

Dempo1 wrote: »
    This is most unusual? That is not how this is supposed to work. Like yourself I've an underlying condition, cohort 7, twice your age and generally GP"S Seem to be looking after those with underlying conditions. I have dose 1 done and just got called for 2nd tomorrow week, Pfizer.

Has the GP given a reason why only one Dose? The only thing I can recommend is calling the HSE Vacinations number, listed on their website, it can take a while and explain the situation.

I'm concerned about your situation as I'm not at all sure if you can be on two lists if that makes sense.

Maybe other posters have similar experience and offer better advice, good luck regardless :)

She said that they are finishing up doing the older cohorts and vulnerable groups and that the rest will be done at vaccination centres

Tree wrote: »
    My gp didn't do cohorts 4/7 so (eventually) ended up at a vaccination hub. Getting the first and not the second seems really strange. Is she going to refer you to a hub? (they can refer to the hubs, but mine had issues w/ the HSE complaining about their IT system)

She said she cannot refer me to a hub for my second dose but when I rang up the hse live helpline, they said that that’s what gp’s can do if they can only give one dose and then I would be contacted a month later to go to a hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dud you have the virus on the past few months op?

• Advertisement

She said that they are finishing up doing the older cohorts and vulnerable groups and that the rest will be done at vaccination centres

Seems very strange to only half complete a patients vacinne schedule, I've certainly not come across this.

She said she cannot refer me to a hub for my second dose but when I rang up the hse live helpline, they said that that’s what gp’s can do if they can only give one dose and then I would be contacted a month later to go to a hub.

Precisely and this I believe is the process, I'm still quite flummoxed as to why any GP would decide to only do half a vacinne schedule, if this the case, OP probably better off registering fully with HSE program which in fairness is now quite quick. I'd just be concerned if GP does one dose and OP has to be referred (albeit GP say they can't do this).or OP registers themselves what potential gaps between does could happen, also how would someone navigate or explain they've had 1st dose already?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Dud you have the virus on the past few months op?

No not that I’m aware of

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Precisely and this I believe is the process, I'm still quite flummoxed as to why any GP would decide to only do half a vacinne schedule, if this the case, OP probably better off registering fully with HSE program which in fairness is now quite quick. I'd just be concerned if GP does one dose and OP has to be referred (albeit GP say they can't do this).or OP registers themselves what potential gaps between does could happen, also how would someone navigate or explain they've had 1st dose already?

I don’t think I can register myself as my age group won’t be called until late July at the earliest. The only way I can get one is through my GP but I probably have left it too late. Perhaps my GP only ordered a certain amount for their anticipated needs. I should get some proof from my GP that I have received my first dose if she does not want to register me with the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Underlying condition also, got both Jabs at the Gp 4 weeks apart. If my GP had said they only do the first and wouldn't give me specifics on how I got my second Id be no thanks and looking for a copy of my medial records for my New GP.

God, even the thoughts of that awkward situation gives me anxiety.. I officially hate your GP for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

@Orlak2410. Is your underlining condition listed in the Cohort 4/7 groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don’t think I can register myself as my age group won’t be called until late July at the earliest. The only way I can get one is through my GP but I probably have left it too late. Perhaps my GP only ordered a certain amount for their anticipated needs. I should get some proof from my GP that I have received my first dose if she does not want to register me with the HSE.
    There is a plan in the works for groups left outside the general portal process, according to the HSE and there should be details on it in the next 10 days.

Underlying condition also, got both Jabs at the Gp 4 weeks apart. If my GP had said they only do the first and wouldn't give me specifics on how I got my second Id be no thanks and looking for a copy of my medial records for my New GP.

God, even the thoughts of that awkward situation gives me anxiety.. I officially hate your GP for you.

I rang the hse live helpline twice and they said that if my GP can only give me the first dose, they should register my details on the HSE portal and then I should be contacted when my second dose is due and I can get it in a centre. I know GP’s are put on a pedestal and feared by some but I don’t think they can do something like this.

Blinder wrote: »
    @Orlak2410. Is your underlining condition listed in the Cohort 4/7 groups?

Yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

That's very unusual. I got my first dose through my GP (also underlying condition) and get my second in 2 weeks through them also. What reasoning did they give for not being able to give your second?

That's very unusual. I got my first dose through my GP (also underlying condition) and get my second in 2 weeks through them also. What reasoning did they give for not being able to give your second?

Something about them finishing up vaccinating their patients (older and vulnerable patients) and the rest having to go to vaccination centres (presumably because younger patients are more tech savvy to register themselves)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

I’m in similar situation in that I’ll be away for second dose and GP isn’t sure if they’ll have a smaller vaccine clinic at a later date. Can your GP not register you cos I’d the HSE hack?

Yes apologies, I forgot your age

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

Yes it is

Ok.
    If I was you I would , get 1st dose in GPs.
    They give you a card with the vaccine details ( date vaccine was given and type of vaccine and batch number etc.)
    If they still say that they can't refer you to the HSE for second dose.
    Ring HSE helpline again, tell thy you have first dose and need to make appointment for second dose. If they say that GP has to refer you, tell they that GP won't etc.
    Ask them to either contact the GP or to put into writing to you that GP has to refer. Once you have it in writing, go back to GP and show them. If still not referring you, get back onto HSE helpline.
    Basically you're going to have to be the squeaky wheel until they take notice of you.

OrlaFS2017 wrote: »
    I’m in similar situation in that I’ll be away for second dose and GP isn’t sure if they’ll have a smaller vaccine clinic at a later date. Can your GP not register you cos I’d the HSE hack?

No sure the hse told me the other day that the GP can register me for a second dose at a centre. I rang the hse live helpline twice and spoke to two different people just to be sure. I am just worried that if a GP does not want to do that, nobody will challenge them on it because of their status in society

• Advertisement

Ok.
    If I was you I would , get 1st dose in GPs.
    They give you a card with the vaccine details ( date vaccine was given and type of vaccine and batch number etc.)
    If they still say that they can't refer you to the HSE for second dose.
    Ring HSE helpline again, tell thy you have first dose and need to make appointment for second dose. If they say that GP has to refer you, tell they that GP won't etc.
    Ask them to either contact the GP or to put into writing to you that GP has to refer. Once you have it in writing, go back to GP and show them. If still not referring you, get back onto HSE helpline.
    Basically you're going to have to be the squeaky wheel until they take notice of you.

That sounds like the best course of action. The GP did say to me that I may have to wait until my age cohort is called to receive my second dose but the vaccine doses are four weeks apart for a reason. It is the way they are engineered. If I get first dose then wait 7/8 weeks until my second dose, it may interfere with the vaccines integrity

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Yeah definitely worth getting first dose either way, you'll have a good degree of immunity after 14 days and press the HSE for the second dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

you're going to have to be the squeaky wheel until they take notice of you.

A damning indictment of the health system.
    Though I really can't think of any other way around this.

This passing from one service to another crap is something that happens far too often.

OP: As others have said, get your first dose as soon as you can so that you'll at least be partially protected. Then do the job of the health service for it and make sure that your course is completed on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I think if I were you in your position I'd be looking for a new GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'll get my second shot in 2 weeks.

I'll lay any money that I won't get it from the same person or in the same cubicle.

Where's the issue with this.

Gp gives you the first shot. They register it the same way someone is registered at a vaccination centre. You get called in 4 weeks to get the second shot.

Only change is it is a different location.

So far, despite the shower of "expert" naysayers, the HSE vaccine rollout has been utterly superb considering what it entails.

And the naysayers absolutely hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭JPup

Take the first dose. Worse case scenario you get the second in August with your age group.

RoamingDoc wrote: »
    A damning indictment of the health system.
    Though I really can't think of any other way around this.

This passing from one service to another crap is something that happens far too often.

OP: As others have said, get your first dose as soon as you can so that you'll at least be partially protected. Then do the job of the health service for it and make sure that your course is completed on time.

I can’t register myself online as it won’t let me. I’ll have to ring them and try to make an appointment that way. If I give them the batch number that should be proof of a first dose. Does anybody know what the procedure is if you get an appointment that you can’t make? Can you rearrange it.

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'll get my second shot in 2 weeks.

I'll lay any money that I won't get it from the same person or in the same cubicle.

Where's the issue with this.

Gp gives you the first shot. They register it the same way someone is registered at a vaccination centre. You get called in 4 weeks to get the second shot.

Only change is it is a different location.

So far, despite the shower of "expert" naysayers, the HSE vaccine rollout has been utterly superb considering what it entails.

And the naysayers absolutely hate that.

Yeah that should happen. Maybe my GP is just not familiar with the vaccination centre procedures as she probably gave all of her patients the first and second doses so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

When the time is rightgo to your nearest vac centre with ID and PPS number. Tell them your circumstances.

Thats what I did, wasn't going to wait for the doc any longer.

There was no problem.

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    When the time is rightgo to your nearest vac centre with ID and PPS number. Tell them your circumstances.

Thats what I did, wasn't going to wait for the doc any longer.

There was no problem.

Yeah that’s a good idea. They say not to do that but would they really refuse you at the door especially if you say you’ll wait for an appointment that somebody didn’t turn up for.

Advertisement