Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

BikeRacer wrote: »
    The last time Max had a decent teammate in Danny Ric, Danny beat him 467 points to 392 with Danny having 2 more mechanical DNFs than Max. I think Perez is going to run a lot closer to Max than what people think.

If Perez is allowed push him.
    If Perez pushes Max its quiet possible Max will take himself out rather than Perez, we have seen his hot head get him into situations before.

With regard to Albon, I think it was all over as far back as when he made the comment that Gasly was racing him to hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The last time Max had a decent teammate in Danny Ric, Danny beat him 467 points to 392 with Danny having 2 more mechanical DNFs than Max. I think Perez is going to run a lot closer to Max than what people think.

That can't be right can it, there's only around 500 points available in a season and DR didn't win, was it that close?

Marko has said the intention of signing Perez is to have two drivers fighting for wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So what do you do if you're Albon now?
    Hand out your CV to the local pizza shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

^I'm sure there's a gentleman driver in the Blancpain Series who's got millions to burn on hiring someone to carry him. IIRC, Hulk had a Blancpain seat lined up this year.
    GarIT wrote: »
    That can't be right can it, there's only around 500 points available in a season and DR didn't win, was it that close?

DR scored more than Max over their entire stint (Spain 2016-Abu Dhabi 2018) together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Albon will sit tight — there are a few paths back for him even within Red Bull.

- Perez underwhelms and only lasts a year
    - Gasly continues his trajectory and replaces Ocon at Renault for 2022
    - Tsunoda either ****s the bed and is out for 2022, or does very well and is promoted to RB

I think Vips is their only prospect in the junior programme currently, so he doesn’t have much competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I fcukin hate when people abuse stats. And you have just abused stats either through wilful ignorance or accidental.

In the two full seasons they were teammates Ric scored 200 and 170 (370)points. 168 and 249 (417)

1-1 in seasons and a small-medium points advantage to max over the two full seasons.

Max is top notch, Perez ain’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BikeRacer

I fcukin hate when people abuse stats. And you have just abused stats either through wilful ignorance or accidental.

In the two full seasons they were teammates Ric scored 200 and 170 (370)points. 168 and 249 (417)

1-1 in seasons and a small-medium points advantage to max over the two full seasons.

Max is top notch, Perez ain’t.

Oh the delicious irony LOL

From the Redbull website....

https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/daniel-ricciardo-and-max-verstappen-best-teammate-battles

Danny Ric - 467
    Max - 392

flazio wrote: »
    So what do you do if you're Albon now?
    Hand out your CV to the local pizza shops?

Go the route of Jolean Palmer get a job as a commentator despite proving he knows less about F1 than any Aul lad sitting on his clutch watching the race on a Sunday.

https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/daniel-ricciardo-and-max-verstappen-best-teammate-battles

Danny Ric - 467
    Max - 392
    Depends how red bull used it.
    Comparing full seasons is the most sensible way to do it to compare the drivers performance against each other. Including the partial Season is fine for completion but misleading as a measure of there relative performance (which is how the poster used it above)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Danny Ric - 467
    Max - 392

Yes .. And now add up the point at the end of that season

You end up with Ricciardo at 590 and Verstappen at 608

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rianmcn

Well that just isn't true. For their time at RB, it was 608 to 590 in Verstappen's favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

This is all semantics. Let's call it a draw between the Verstappen and Ricciardo!

My main thoughts on 2021:
    - Perez should be a good improvement on Albon for Red Bull
    - I think Ricciardo will be a step up on Sainz at McLaren next season. He should finish well ahead of Norris in my opinion.
    - Sainz will be a step up on Vettel so it's a win for both McLaren and Ferrari.
    - Renault will probably have same level of drivers as last year assuming Alonso's has still got it.
    - Racing Point could be the biggest losers if Vettel doesn't perform.
    - Alfa and Alpha will probably be around the same level again next season.
    - Haas have nothing to lose on hiring two new rookies. They are similar to Williams in that no driver in the world is going to bring them up the grid with a car like that.

Meanwhile at Mercedes, Wolff has committed to another three years which is bad new for the rest of Formula 1. Mercedes now only have a third share in the company so it looks like they are slowly divesting their interest in being a racing team and going back to being an engine supplier. This is not surprising as the writing has been on the wall since they signed up McLaren as a their forth engine customer. I can see Mercedes selling off their remaining share in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

recyclebin wrote: »
    This is all semantics. Let's call it a draw between the Verstappen and Ricciardo!

- I think Ricciardo will be a step up on Sainz at McLaren next season. He should finish well ahead of Norris in my opinion.
    - Renault will probably have same level of drivers as last year assuming Alonso's has still got it.
    - Racing Point could be the biggest losers if Vettel doesn't perform.
    - Alfa and Alpha will probably be around the same level again next season.
    - Haas have nothing to lose on hiring two new rookies. They are similar to Williams in that no driver in the world is going to bring them up the grid with a car like that.

Meanwhile at Mercedes, Wolff has committed to another three years which is bad new for the rest of Formula 1. Mercedes now only have a third share in the company so it looks like they are slowly divesting their interest in being a racing team and going back to being an engine supplier. This is not surprising as the writing has been on the wall since they signed up McLaren as a their forth engine customer. I can see Mercedes selling off their remaining share in the next couple of years.
    It would be lose, lose for both Ferrari and McLaren if one of their drivers trounces his team mate. It seems the ideal situation is for both to be as competitive as it takes to succeed in the constructors championship. Witness McLaren this season.

recyclebin wrote: »

- Racing Point could be the biggest losers if Vettel doesn't perform....

Yeah Ric and Max are both top drivers - not much in it one way or the other. Perez isn’t a top driver so RB will have a decent no.2 which is ideal for them.

The fair assessment of the two unknowns being Alonso and Vettel. If they perform well then they could be great signings. Vettel has to improve a huge amount to be a good driver again. It seems alike a huge ask. But he likes having an inferiority teammate so Stroll is ideal for him. If stroll is competitive with Vettel then Vettel is fcuked.

Interesting to see if Alonso still has it though. I suspect he’s still hungry for success and isn’t there to make up the numbers. He could have one good season on him but I doubt he has two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Yeah Ric and Max are both top drivers - not much in it one way or the other. Perez isn’t a top driver so RB will have a decent no.2 which is ideal for them.

The fair assessment of the two unknowns being Alonso and Vettel. If they perform well then they could be great signings. Vettel has to improve a huge amount to be a good driver again. It seems alike a huge ask. But he likes having an inferiority teammate so Stroll is ideal for him. If stroll is competitive with Vettel then Vettel is fcuked.

Interesting to see if Alonso still has it though. I suspect he’s still hungry for success and isn’t there to make up the numbers. He could have one good season on him but I doubt he has two.

With all the talk about cars suiting drivers and cars being setup for certain drivers. Should people wait until maybe half way into the calendar before attempting to rate Vettel and Alonso? Their partners will have been in the cars a lot longer than them.

Hijpo wrote: »
    With all the talk about cars suiting drivers and cars being setup for certain drivers. Should people wait until maybe half way into the calendar before attempting to rate Vettel and Alonso? Their partners will have been in the cars a lot longer than them.

Yeah that’s fair. Some people just see what they want to see though. Some people can’t see how slow Vettel is even after 2 seasons of being made to look a clown by his teammate. Same happened when Kubica was hammered by Russell. Some people made excuses for him all season.

Reality is those lads can’t lose in some people’s minds. If they’re slow they will blame he car, if they’re fast they’ll credit them for being fast. They both have average teammates so the bar is pretty low.

But yes, definitely need some decent time to make a fair assessment. Everyone will judge each individual race as the happen, but we just have to remember he sample size is small until there have been a good few races.

Yeah that’s fair. Some people just see what they want to see though. Some people can’t see how slow Vettel is even after 2 seasons of being made to look a clown by his teammate. Same happened when Kubica was hammered by Russell. Some people made excuses for him all season.

Reality is those lads can’t lose in some people’s minds. If they’re slow they will blame he car, if they’re fast they’ll credit them for being fast. They both have average teammates so the bar is pretty low.

But yes, definitely need some decent time to make a fair assessment. Everyone will judge each individual race as the happen, but we just have to remember he sample size is small until there have been a good few races.

Was Vettel not doing acceptably in 2019? Leclerc only scored 10% more points.

I don't recall anyone making excuses for Kubica after the first few races.

Was Vettel not doing acceptably in 2019? Leclerc only scored 10% more points.

I don't recall anyone making excuses for Kubica after the first few races.

The chat before the season was that LeClerc would be the winner if he could keep In touch with Vettel. Keeping in touch with Vettel (let alone outperforming him) was a big win for LeClerc. Being outscored by a young driver, second year in the sport and first year in the Ferrari, was a sign of what was to come in 2020.

I remember posters making excuses for Kubica all the way through the season. It’s only since the season ended that the narrative has changed. Same with Vettel. Some people don’t accept that he’s been bottom tier this year in spite of the he evidence in front of us.

People don’t generally acknowledge that they were wrong and changed their mind. They tend to just forget ever being wrong after they change their mind. Remember the opposition to the halo? Most of the posters wouldn’t remember ever being in opposition.

The chat before the season was that LeClerc would be the winner if he could keep In touch with Vettel. Keeping in touch with Vettel (let alone outperforming him) was a big win for LeClerc. Being outscored by a young driver, second year in the sport and first year in the Ferrari, was a sign of what was to come in 2020.

I remember posters making excuses for Kubica all the way through the season. It’s only since the season ended that the narrative has changed. Same with Vettel. Some people don’t accept that he’s been bottom tier this year in spite of the he evidence in front of us.

People don’t generally acknowledge that they were wrong and changed their mind. They tend to just forget ever being wrong after they change their mind. Remember the opposition to the halo? Most of the posters wouldn’t remember ever being in opposition.

I wouldn't say he was made to look a clown in 2019.

I haven't seen many not saying Vettel has been performing poorly.

There were large amounts of people recognising they were initially against the halo after Grosjean's crash.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say he was made to look a clown in 2019.

I haven't seen many not saying Vettel has been performing poorly.

There were large amounts of people recognising they were initially against the halo after Grosjean's crash.

It all depends on how much people like a driver. The denial of Kubica’s performance went on all season for some people. I remember loads of opposition to the observation that he was performing poorly. Same with Vettel. It’s only recently that some peppery have accepted that Vettel wa a hammered this year - and some will still that it’s just the car not suiting him.

Some people have come around to the the obvious facts but others will need time to accept them. In a few months nobody will be making excuses for Vettel’s poor performances this year. Same thing happened with Kubica last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

BREAKING NEWS: Lewis Hamilton has won BBC Sport Personality of The Year for 2020.

BREAKING NEWS: Lewis Hamilton has won BBC Sport Personality of The Year for 2020.

Thanks your the greatest fans in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

What an oxymoron lol... personality lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Never heard of her

Interesting quirk of the token development system means that customer teams can get upgraded suspension and gearboxes without spending tokens.

“ Teams are limited to two tokens, but a quirk of the rules means outfits running customer gearboxes and suspension – like Racing Point and AlphaTauri – are able to upgrade those parts token free.”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-aston-alphatauri-free-token/4929660/?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=RSS-ALL&utm_term=News&utm_content=www

Marco Rossi reporting that Haas are becoming increasingly concerned about damage to their reputation.

Gunther Steiner commented that Fittipaldi was very impressive over the two weekends for someone who hadn't driven the car in a race before.

Fittipaldi changed his Twitter to be Hass branded yesterday. Profile pic is him in a Haas suit, cover pic is Haas logo and his bio says Haas F1 team driver.

Fittipaldi is also a pay driver.

Mazepin has cleared his profile of references to Haas, including deleting his apology.

Mazepin's victim, who said it was consensual, has been posting cryptic things about her biggest mistake in life was letting rich guys take advantage of her and touch her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

References are still on his homepage and Facebook. So wouldn't read too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Marco Rossi reporting that Haas are becoming increasingly concerned about damage to their reputation.

Gunther Steiner commented that Fittipaldi was very impressive over the two weekends for someone who hadn't driven the car in a race before.

Fittipaldi changed his Twitter to be Hass branded yesterday. Profile pic is him in a Haas suit, cover pic is Haas logo and his bio says Haas F1 team driver.

Fittipaldi is also a pay driver.

Mazepin has cleared his profile of references to Haas, including deleting his apology.

Mazepin's victim, who said it was consensual, has been posting cryptic things about her biggest mistake in life was letting rich guys take advantage of her and touch her.

The Mazepin hush cheque must have bounced.

Starting to really turn against him now and look unlikely he will make the grid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Imagine at the launch of the new HAAS when the cover is pulled off and a different driver was in the car. That would be something :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement