Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where to get me a cargo bike

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I've a confession to make: I've never been great with fixing a bike -- taking the wheels off and changing the tires on the Bakfiets is about as far I've got.

This complicates things living in a town in Mayo and not knowing any bike shop locally willing to deal with hub gears etc -- I need to try harder to find a bike shop willing and able in a local town or send it to Dublin or go messing with the bike myself.

Lately the cargo bike has become a less central part of our transport as we've got a car (harder to do without one than in a city!), the cargo bike has become a bit much for cycling with our two boys and one has started to be able to cycle (on footpaths) as we use cycle lanes or low traffic streets. But I'm missing it while it's out of action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Changing the tyres on a bakfiets isn't trivial though!

I have yet to even get the chain guard off. I presume you just unscrew any visible screws until it can be pulled off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I recently got a BikeParka XL for the Big Dummy and thought the peeps on this thread might like to know about it. It's replacing a very sub par Oxford cover that dissintegrated in a matter of months. The material seems very robust and stitching is taped well on the inside. The cover tucks under the front wheel and then pulls over the bike and is tucked under the rear. A draw chord pulls any loose excess in tight on the top.

I wasn't sure it was going to fit the length of the bike but I use it every day
    now for three months or so and haven't had any issued pulling it over the bike. Not too sure how it would cope with a Bullitt style bike but maybe one to look at if you need to store your beloved mule outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

Only had a quick flick through the thread, but didn't see a Bob trailer mentioned - http://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers

Not a bike obviously, but can be fitted to almost any adult bike and therefore you don't have to buy a new bike.

Actually, check out this trailer too, its a work of art - http://julieracingdesig.canalblog.com/

Alternatively, Pashley make a few load carrying bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Hi all, just wondering if anybody has any experience buying in a cargo bike from abroad? I have family in Holland and there's a much bigger market for them there. They seem to have lots of brands that I've never heard of, but the prices for second hand / demo models from bike shops etc are a fraction of what a new bike costs here. Any feedback v welcome!

• Advertisement

68.9% of those surveyed changed their travel behavior after purchasing a cargo bike and the number of auto trips appeared to decline by 1–2 trips per day, half of the auto travel prior to ownership. Two key reasons cited for this change include the ability to get around with children and more gear.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1369847816303278

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

macinalli wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if anybody has any experience buying in a cargo bike from abroad? I have family in Holland and there's a much bigger market for them there. They seem to have lots of brands that I've never heard of, but the prices for second hand / demo models from bike shops etc are a fraction of what a new bike costs here. Any feedback v welcome!
    Be difficult to transport, so pricy enough I think. You'd pay less than you would here for the bike, but the transport might bring the cost of the bike back up near what you'd pay here - if you can find one here of course is the hardest part

Someone told me that they bought one in the Netherlands and transported it over for considerably less than they would have paid for it here, but I don't remember how they did it.

I'm not sure whether kenmc is saying that it's hard to find a stockist of cargo bikes here, but in Dublin there are a few (Greenaer, Think Bike and The Dutch Bike Shop, for example). I had no problem finding the one I wanted, and it was about the price I expected, all things considered.

I was saying it'd be hard to find second hand ones. Know of all the dealers you've listed, sure I've a bullit myself. But they rarely show up second hand, and when they do it'd most likely be take what you can get

I've seen them come up second-hand via Dara in Bee Cycles, and via IrishCycle.com on Twitter. Not often though.

• Advertisement

GreenAer were selling a demo model (bakfiets) for about €1300 a while back. Not sure whether they sold it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking at marktplaats.nl - it's like a Dutch version of adverts and there are loads of bikes for sale. There are second hand, ex-demo, rebuilt and a lot of different brands. I'm thinking of something like a Babboe city for about €600 - even if the transport was €200, it would still seem a good deal? Am a bit wary of things that seem too good to be true!

If you haven't already done so,try out a few different models here at dealers so you know what you're buying. Not all cargo bikes are created equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Looks like a Bullitt for sale in Dublin:
    http://www.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/bullitt-cargo-bike/11710893

No photos though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

beazee wrote: »
    Looks like a Bullitt for sale in Dublin:
    http://www.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/bullitt-cargo-bike/11710893

No photos though.

Also 3,100? You could buy a complete one with a ton of high end accessories from thinkbike for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Is that Omri's bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

kenmc wrote: »
    Be difficult to transport, so pricy enough I think. You'd pay less than you would here for the bike, but the transport might bring the cost of the bike back up near what you'd pay here - if you can find one here of course is the hardest part

A couple of years back I had the chance of bringing over an ordinary but light and nice bike from Amsterdam, and someone here - I forget who - offered to bring it in his regular delivery van that travelled twice a week. It never happened because the bike was stolen outside the house in Amsterdam the day before it was to travel.

By the same token, it might be possible to do a deal with a bike shop that is bringing bikes over anyway that they'd add your cargo bike in with theirs for a fee. Or an importer of anything who'd have room in the truck.

Can anyone recommend a bottom bracket specifically for a cargo bike? Does such a thing even exist?

I've had my Big Dummy for just over a year now and I've worn out two bottom brackets, the Surly one that came with the bike and an Ultegra. I carry weight regularly, 75kg of me and up to 40kg of children and stuff. I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue?

Cheers

Peter Walker in the Guardian writing about the joys of carrying lots of stuff by bike:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/mar/29/cycle-freight-why-the-bike-is-good-for-moving-more-than-people

A question about cargo bikes - do they come in different sizes, or are they adjustable for different size people in a family?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

'68 wrote:

I've had my Big Dummy for just over a year now and I've worn out two bottom brackets, the Surly one that came with the bike and an Ultegra. I carry weight regularly, 75kg of me and up to 40kg of children and stuff.

What causes them to wear out? Extra force/pressure when starting off pushing the heavy load?

Chuchote wrote: »
    A question about cargo bikes - do they come in different sizes, or are they adjustable for different size people in a family?
    They come in a big variety, but only a few are all that adjustable, I think. The Bullitt has two different passenger "inserts" (not sure that the right word is), for smaller children and larger children, and then they have inserts for actual cargo, rather than people.

The Bakfiets comes in a shorter option, which still will seat two children, but you can't turn it into a longer one later (or indeed scale down a longer one into a shorter one later).

tomasrojo wrote: »
    They come in a big variety, but only a few are all that adjustable, I think. The Bullitt has two different passenger "inserts" (not sure that the right word is), for smaller children and larger children, and then they have inserts for actual cargo, rather than people.

The Bakfiets comes in a shorter option, which still will seat two children, but you can't turn it into a longer one later (or indeed scale down a longer one into a shorter one later).

Well, no, I meant in terms of the engine - the cyclst. Most of the people I've seen cycling them are big sturdy yokes. I'm more on the small-but-perfectly-formed line.
    Pity you can't rent them easily and locally; really, my only thought would be to use one to bring an ancient dog past any real walking for enjoyable outings. Probably a silly idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Well, no, I meant in terms of the engine - the cyclst. Most of the people I've seen cycling them are big sturdy yokes. I'm more on the small-but-perfectly-formed line.
    Pity you can't rent them easily and locally; really, my only thought would be to use one to bring an ancient dog past any real walking for enjoyable outings. Probably a silly idea.

there's a guy on my commute who has his dog up front on his cargo bike. the look on that dogs face every time i see them tells me you should just get a damn cargo bike for carrying your dog and so should everyone else!

Saw this dude at the recent lunchtime cycle protest.

bikedog.jpg

that's the same fella!

I love how dedicated he is to his dog that he bought an expensive bike to carry him around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

There's a FB group for everything: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1052131678168610/ (Cargo Bike Dogs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Effects wrote: »
    I love how dedicated he is to his dog that he bought an expensive bike to carry him around.

I regularly see an auld fella around my way cycling with the dog perched on the crossbar and handlebars. It's a neat trick and he travels a fair distance with him on there

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Trailer

You can get trailers for dogs too. Might be a good option.
    EDIT: HB there first

Might be handy for someone:

http://www.randomhacks.co.uk/replacement-bakfiet-spokes/

Propping up the bike to get at the rear wheel:

IMG_4226.jpg?resize=768%2C576

And a mention of where to get spare spokes:
    It turns out that the Bakfiets use motorbike / moped bike spokes. You can order custom spokes in batches of 10 from a company called Central Wheel. They cost around £2 per spoke

2.5mm spokes, he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrsFitz

Date for your diary
    18th of June for the 5th anniversary of the cargo bike championships
    Tickets are available on eventbrite (free)
    Hope to see you all there, and pray for better weather than last year ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I just came across this and I can't believe there hasn't been any follow up or raving about it - it was a fantastic day for all of us and mucho mucho gracias to MrsFitz, Dublin Cycling Campaign, GreenAer and anyone else who was involved in organising this.

Some photos are here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/IrishCargoBikeChampionships/photos/?tab=album&album_id=563017017217903

The FB page is here - follow it so you know about it next year
    https://www.facebook.com/IrishCargoBikeChampionships

What a great day out - loads of fun for adults and kids and a great finish to Bike Week.

Thanks also to the two lads from OPW who gave us a tour around the Phoenix Park. It was really interesting and great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LORCANSTAINES

I'm looking at buying a cargo bike. My circumstances are:

We are a two car family.

I am selling both cars and buying a Volvo XC90 as we will have three kids by March all going well. At the moment we have two girls aged 4 and 2 and a third girl on the way.

I'm looking for a cargo bike to replace the second car.

I live in South Dublin - 4k from Grafton Street - 6k from work.

I will need the cargo bike for ferrying kids and doing the shopping and possibly dropping the kids to school depending on what school will let them in. I'm hoping to cycle as much as possible and use the car as little as possible.

My wife might use the cargo bike or might not - we'll have to wait and see.

After 6 hours of research I have concluded:

The Bullitt is a beauty but is not really suitable for 3 kids - especially as they get bigger.

The Urban Arrow with the electric assist ticks all the boxes but is hard to justify at 5k.

One of the Babboe range with the electric assist might be the best fit for me?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,

Lorcan

I couldn't afford anything with electric assist, so I got the long bakfiets from Greenaer. My reasoning was that it's very widely used in the Netherlands, and it's not that expensive, as cargo bikes go. I'm ferrying a seven-year-old and five-year-old, about 7km to school and 7km back again. Not sure how much longer it will be feasible. Maybe two more years for the eldest. I'm an optimist. Last year I was doing about a 15km school run twice a day, because the kids were in different schools; now in the same school. I was fit before I started using the bakfiets.

I don't know anything about the Babboe range but the long bakfiets would be big enough for three kids, especially smaller ones. There is a version of the bakfiets with an electric motor (below) but I haven't seen one here.
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lastenradler.de%2Fimages%2Fbakfiets_long_mit_zelt_lastenradler_muenchen.jpg&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LORCANSTAINES

I rented the Workcycles Kr8 Bakfiets today from the Dutch Bike Shop. Really liked it. Loads of space with really good handling. Feels like a normal bike. Kids loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Let us (me) know how you get on, cargo bike is always on my mind and your situation is very similar.
    If your on Facebook, join the cycling family page. PM if you want a link. There's a few cargo bike families on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Recently got this... This is a picture after some weight stripping. Started at 40kg and down to 29kg now

Picture attached now along with what it looked like before.

Looks a bit more sportysince you stripped it down!

The chain case might have been worth keeping, just for longer chain life? If it's like the one on my bike, it probably weighs about 100g.

I had to change the saddle on mine too. The only part that was dire in the original spec.s. Changed pedals to you, as you did, but I could have lived with the originals.

Where are you mounting the front light now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Anybody have any experience of using a Cargo Bike Conversion Kit?
    Any recommendations?
    Something similar to the following which I recently came across
    https://argobikes.com/products/argocargokit
    "
    The ARGO Cargo Kit (Ships June 2018)
    Regular price
    $899.00
    "
    Have a Touring Bike sitting in the Shed that should be able and willing to be converted. It will get more use in the near future if I can get a good Conversion Kit.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Where are you mounting the front light now?

Unsure yet, I have a couple of months to figure it out. On the chaingaurd, I find them annoying.. less of a weight issue. Much easier to clean/lube without the cover in place.

I did drop into thinkbike today to take a look at a bullitt frameset.

I have ordered a Bullitt frameset now... so if you know anyone that is looking for dutch style frame let me know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Anybody have any experience of using a Cargo Bike Conversion Kit?
    Any recommendations?
    Something similar to the following which I recently came across
    https://argobikes.com/products/argocargokit
    "
    The ARGO Cargo Kit (Ships June 2018)
    Regular price
    $899.00
    "
    Have a Touring Bike(SLHT) sitting in the Shed that should be able and willing to be converted. It will get more use in the near future if I can get a good Conversion Kit.

Decided to give this a go.
    Shipping is $240 so about €940 when all added up and converted into €€€.

Decided to give this a go.
    Shipping is $240 so about €940 when all added up and converted into €€€.

looking forward to feedback on it

• Advertisement
Advertisement