Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladder Recommendations

Options
  • 23-06-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I just moved into a new 4 story house and looking to pick up some tools. Using Google I've narrowed down a lot of what I need but I am having trouble with ladders.

I wouldn't exactly be Mr DIY but I would like to do odd jobs here and there instead of calling out a handyman. House is a bit tall so i wouldn't be clearing gutters or doing any work over the second floor.

Was thinking about a telescopic ladder but reviews say they're really unsafe. In short I'm looking for a reliable ladder (EEN131 no Chinese/amazon knockoffs) that can help me out with odd jobs in and outside the house for less than €150.

Although I would love a small closed height ladder, quality and usability is my preference - have an alleyway for storage if needs be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Building/Ladders/Extension-Ladders/Stradbally-17ft-Aluminium-Double-Extension-Ladder-0742822
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Safeline-Giant--Multipurpose-Ladder-0744658
    A couple of types there but you will need to choose one for height or versatility. There is an abundance of ladder types out there so it depends on what you will use it for mostly. You can pick up a handy scaffold ladder setup in Aldi or Lidl that gives a good work platform for lower jobs of around 10-12 ft for around €70 when they are on sale. This type https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-scaffold-%26-ladder-system/p/804421465088600

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have a stradbally picked up a few years ago perfect yolk. 4 stories is alot though. I'd look into putting in eye hooks into the building to hold the ladder in place for safety. Also harness is advised for that sort of height. There's lads dead falling from bungalows , happened to a friend of my father's

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Throwaway 20

Cheers for the advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Working off ladders is fraught with danger., Definitely agree with listermint on this.

If you factor in all the costs, harnesses, fall arresters, ladders hooks ect.
    You can hire 7-8metre scaffold towers for a week at 100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

you wont go wrong with a stradbally ladder. built like a tank and super strong. we have long 3 part and it bends less fully extended than others a third of the length.

4 stories is very tall for ladder work . especially if your not used to it. even setting up a long ladder like that is a 2 man job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've a 2 section Stradbally Ladders one that has given good service over nearly 20 years, a more recent purchase a shorter single (Tubesca) from Valentine Ladders is also very good. I wouldn't be happy working at more than 2 stories though, that's high enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NCC1701

+1 on the Stradbally ladders. Mine is 20 years old now and still in perfect condition. If you're going to store your ladder outside, this is a security risk as burglars can use it to break in to second storey windows. While I store my ladder in an outside shed, I bought brackets from Screwfix that allow me to hang it and lock it in place with a metal arm that encloses the ladder inside the bracket. Any burglar would have to use an angle grinder to cut the brackets open to get the ladder which would cause a racket!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I wouldn't be going anywhere near 4 stories on a ladder unless you were doing it all day everyday.
    Get a scissor-lift/cherry-picker when/if needed.

for 2nd storey stuff you can pickup a 2 or 3 piece stradbally @ 5M for your price range.

Advertisement