Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to France via UK

• 22-06-2021 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if any one would know anything about travelling via UK to France? I'm kind of stock with the Irish Ferries unfortunately and they cannot take a pet due to lack of kennels on Ireland/France route so I'm thinking about UK.

Not sure what will I need, how does it look like at the moment due to Brexit etc.
    I'll be travelling in August. 3 People will be fully vacinated by then, one will require test but she's only going one way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if any one would know anything about travelling via UK to France? I'm kind of stock with the Irish Ferries unfortunately and they cannot take a pet due to lack of kennels on Ireland/France route so I'm thinking about UK.

Not sure what will I need, how does it look like at the moment due to Brexit etc.
    I'll be travelling in August. 3 People will be fully vacinated by then, one will require test but she's only going one way.

In almost exactly the same situation as you, but landbridging on July 3rd if we get the 2nd dose by then.
    First of all, the easy one :) Fido got his rabies shot in December and in January successfully passed his titer test. Now that the UK is a 3rd country, the French could go 100% Frenchy and look for the titer result, not just proof of vaccination.

Now, the not so easy one. After spending days trying to work out the requirements for us to enter France, although we're only transitting through France also, I gave up and emailed the French embassy.
    This was their very prompt reply:
    Bonjour,

Il n’y a pas d’obligation d’isolation pour les personnes venant d’Irlande et se rendant en France, merci de lire https://ie.ambafrance.org/covid19

Cordialement,

La Section Consulaire | The Consular Section
    Service de l’Administration des Français | French Consular Service Office

Ambassade de France en Irlande | French Embassy in Ireland | Ambasáid na Fraince in Éirinn
    66 Fitzwilliam Lane | Dublin 2 | Ireland
    [URL="tel:+353%201%C2%A0277%205025"]+353 1 277[/URL] 5000

Finally, given that we won't be fully vaccinated when transiting, we're not taking any chances and are getting PCRs for everyone (except Fido) the day before (4pm) we leave for Holyhead (8am).

For future reference, if you want to take a direct Ferry to France from Ireland, Brittany Ferries are way more pet friendly than Irish Ferries.
    On some of their boats they have unlimited access to outside(ish) kennels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Stena Line also accept dogs on direct Rosslare - Cherbourg sailings.

https://www.stenaline.ie/faqs/travelling-with-pets/can-i-take-my-pet-to-britain-with-me

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

josip wrote: »
    In almost exactly the same situation as you, but landbridging on July 3rd if we get the 2nd dose by then.
    First of all, the easy one :) Fido got his rabies shot in December and in January successfully passed his titer test. Now that the UK is a 3rd country, the French could go 100% Frenchy and look for the titer result, not just proof of vaccination.

Now, the not so easy one. After spending days trying to work out the requirements for us to enter France, although we're only transitting through France also, I gave up and emailed the French embassy.
    This was their very prompt reply:

Finally, given that we won't be fully vaccinated when transiting, we're not taking any chances and are getting PCRs for everyone (except Fido) the day before (4pm) we leave for Holyhead (8am).

For future reference, if you want to take a direct Ferry to France from Ireland, Brittany Ferries are way more pet friendly than Irish Ferries.
    On some of their boats they have unlimited access to outside(ish) kennels.

I've never heard of any titer test, what is it? I went with Brittany 2 years ago, pet friendly cabin etc. I'm not sure why did I took ferry with Irish Ferries last year and I'm stuck with them now for this year.
    At this stage it looks like were going without the dog on Dublin - Cherbourg, he's gonna stay with friends but I was advice by a fella in IF to check kennel avaibility everyday as people tend to book it and cancel later.
    Vic_08 wrote: »
    Stena Line also accept dogs on direct Rosslare - Cherbourg sailings.

https://www.stenaline.ie/faqs/travelling-with-pets/can-i-take-my-pet-to-britain-with-me

If it wasn't the voucher I got from IF last year I'd probably go Stena or Brittany. It's easier for me to go from Rosslare and I'm in the South, Idk why did I go with IF last year.

The titer/titre test proves that your dog has reacted well enough to the rabies vaccine and has produced enough antibodies.

https://www.travelnuity.com/dog-travel-between-european-countries/

We needed it anyway for an EU entry.

If the French wanted to make post-Brexit life difficult at some stage for the UK, they could start looking for it, although I think things would have to get pretty bad for that to happen.

You only get it done once and it's valid as long as the rabies shots don't lapse.

The Italian embassy have just confirmed that if we landbridge via the UK, we'll have to quarantine for 2 weeks.
    Although the French have said we don't need to quarantine because we're Irish, the risk of something changing or a simple Gallic shrug of the shoulders is too high now for my liking. Especially with UK case numbers increasing.
    So it looks like we'll be going direct to France now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Brittany Ferries have dog cabins where the dog can stay with you on their sailing to Bilbao. Might be of use if headed to southern France?

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Brittany Ferries have dog cabins where the dog can stay with you on their sailing to Bilbao. Might be of use if headed to southern France?

Not going via southern France this time unfortunately, will be straightlining to Thessaloniki.
    Rosslare-Cherbourg with Stena looks the best bet.
    The Horizon pound is accessible throughout the crossing so we're ok with that.

Advertisement