Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV's

Options
  • 23-06-2021 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Think of getting a new TV. The last tv I got was a smart TV bravia and i was looking to get something larger with older one being for the x-box. However when I look its all oled and qled and seems the prices are massively different. You can still get a normal decent smart tv for 400-600.

Just wondering what ppl think on this and if these are really worth the price tag. From what I see its just the price definition that you get that defines the difference as opposed to anything else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SimonH123

I haven't bought an OLED yet but, as I don't replace my TV very often, will probably spend the extra price mainly for the very dark blacks (on my current, 10 year old LG LCD you easily see the blooming around light parts on a dark picture).

I understand that Samsung QLED technology is actually back-lit, not the pixels glowing like OLED. The cynical might say Samsung chose the name as it looked like OLED. How much difference it makes I don't quite know, but maybe you should be comparing QLED TVs with regular LED TVs, not OLED ones, when shopping.

Alternatively I'd say go for a decent brand non-OLED one, and wait a few years for the OLED prices to drop. In particular I'm wondering how long the smart features on most current Smart TVs will last since the manufacturers stop supporting the apps after a few years. It's a pity the screen isn't separate from the controls (unless you get a Chromecast etc, but that's not the same experience).

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

SimonH123 wrote: »

Alternatively I'd say go for a decent brand non-OLED one, and wait a few years for the OLED prices to drop. !

that might be the best option

Advertisement