Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundations for small brick planter?

Options
  • 17-06-2021 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing some paving in the back garden and debating building some brick planters along the sides of the garden. I'll be using Kilsaran Connemara walling stuck together with adhesive.

There'll be 4 courses, 600mm tall plus capping

Ground underneath is hard packed soil and some clay

Each planter will have paving on 2 sides, wooden fence on another and grass on the last side

Just wanted to get some opinions as I'm not 100% sure if I need concrete footings or if compacted hardcore would be enough?

Also, it looks like the walling might be delivered after the paving. Would it be be a difficult job to put in the footings after the paving is down or is it better to put them down in advance?

(Hopefully) last question, does the first course of walling need to be cemented down or would adhesive onto the concrete be enough?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing some paving in the back garden and debating building some brick planters along the sides of the garden. I'll be using Kilsaran Connemara walling stuck together with adhesive.

There'll be 4 courses, 600mm tall plus capping

Ground underneath is hard packed soil and some clay

Each planter will have paving on 2 sides, wooden fence on another and grass on the last side

Just wanted to get some opinions as I'm not 100% sure if I need concrete footings or if compacted hardcore would be enough?

Also, it looks like the walling might be delivered after the paving. Would it be be a difficult job to put in the footings after the paving is down or is it better to put them down in advance?

(Hopefully) last question, does the first course of walling need to be cemented down or would adhesive onto the concrete be enough?

I’m having the same questions at the moment. What have you come up with yourself?

Brock stone have a new video up today which shows those planters but I can’t see the foundations.

Also in the video is a blue tarp like material on the inside - not sure what the product is.

https://youtu.be/3afr-IxcQBI

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Haven't used that walling before. Not sure an actual foundation is necessary. If it was me I'd probably lay a row of blocks on flat bedded in cement just below ground level and sit walling on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

No harm to put in a bit of foundation. Over time this will be more solid than just compacted filling.yes this is easily done after paving is in. Also don't place soil against a timber fence, if I understand it correctly.

Advertisement