Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soundproofing squeaky floors upstairs

• 21-06-2021 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

Would love some advice- Currently have 20mm solid pine wide plank flooring upstairs over 20mm subfloor nailed to timber joists. The flooring is squeaking very badly and the noise travels between floors quite easily.

Thinking that it was the pine flooring that was causing the squeaking I removed a section of it and realized it was the subfloor moving over the joists in places. I hadn't factored in replacing this subfloor as part of my initials plan for solving/reducing this issue.

Initial plan was to remove 20mm solid pine flooring- seal perimeter of rooms/gaps with acoustic sealant- lay Techsound 100 (5mm)over existing subfloor having added extra screws to bouncy bits-lay 15mm SBX/Phonestar boards (1200mm x 800mm) which brings me to my existing floor height- finish off with 3mm laminate underlay and 10mm laminate flooring on top.

My question is would removing the subfloor and adding 100mm or more Rockwool sound insulation slabs with acoustic strips over the joists before relaying a new sub floor add much benefit to my initial plan? Area to do is around 55sqm and I can do most of the hacking myself.

What is the best sub floor material to use?- I've seen 18mm OSB3 mentioned- is this the best material to use and what size do the sheets come in to work out quantities?

While the subfloor is up I would like to replace 9 MR16 type halogens with a sealed LED unit so I can lay the Rockwool over this to help with sound proofing- What are the best units for this and would I still need a intumescent hood/thermal hood over these?

Last question if I took up the subfloor I would like to run ducting for a DCV system to the kitchen and downstairs en suite for possible use in the future. Whats the best type and size of ducting I need? and where can it be sourced?

Sorry for long post

Comments

Replace the nails with screws would solve most of the issue I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

If you're just looking to fix the squeak I'd aim for that and you'll save yourself lots of hassle on trying to soundproof also.

Glue and screw the subfloor is the way to go. If it's only in a few places where it's squeaking from rubbing on a nail, you could try just screwing if you were confident whats underneath (beware pipes and wires).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭986s

Replace the nails with screws would solve most of the issue I'd say

I’d say your right- have removed more of the pine flooring and placing a few of the SBX/phonestar boards down over the squeaky bits the mass of the boards (18 kg/m2) has stoped the noise. That’s before even re screwing the sub floor back down. I still have the techsound membrane to lay also which adds another 10 kg/m2 of mass, so all in all I don’t its worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I guess you have 2 issues - the squeeky floor needs to be screwed. That will stop those movement sounds. Soubdproofubg is a slightly different idsue but saying that, if you get to the point of removing the subfloor, you should consider isolating it from the joists.

Advertisement