Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Strip Setup - Multiple strips

Options
  • 30-05-2021 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Looking to run led strips along the underside of six separate shelves. Two alcoves on either side of a chimney breast and three shelves in each alcove. I want to be able to control all 6 strips off one controller i.e. on/off, dim all together and change colours etc. Can they all go off the same power source or better to have 3 on one power source etc. and does anyone know of any examples of doing something like this online. I've been looking into it but I'm still not sure of how best to manage this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing exactly same as the attached photo but with led strips instead of the spots. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

deisedevil wrote: »
    Hi all. Looking to run led strips along the underside of six separate shelves. Two alcoves on either side of a chimney breast and three shelves in each alcove. I want to be able to control all 6 strips off one controller i.e. on/off, dim all together and change colours etc. Can they all go off the same power source or better to have 3 on one power source etc. and does anyone know of any examples of doing something like this online. I've been looking into it but I'm still not sure of how best to manage this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing exactly same as the attached photo but with led strips instead of the spots. Thanks.

If you can keep the led in one continuous strip that’d be better. Use the voids to hide between shelving

Alternatively use a different fitting either side of fireplace

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

deisedevil

What system is it? if its something like Philips hue or the IKEA strips that the amount of power supplies does not matter as you can join them up in the software and control them as one.

I did something like this a few years ago. I didn't get the lights, i was just presented with them :) they owner was delighted with his online bargain

anyway it was lighting up four shelves either side of a fire place

As advised above there were two kits one for each side and there were a few connectors in the kit, so there was a main cable run up each side of the chimney and you could add manufactured T connections to the main length, you cut the LED strips to length, in my case 4 length per side and connected them into the t connections

Worked out alright, like most of these strips only time will tell if the adhesive will stand the test of time, or cleaning. There are nice aluminum enclosures that you can get to hold them, you screw the enclosure down and stick the led inside in and slide the lid on. It's expensive but a better job.

Advertisement