Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kreg screw alternatives

Options
  • 24-05-2021 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has probably come up before on this forum, but here I am, looking for recommendations.

I've used ordinary woodscrews with small washers before, but that's a pain in the arse, really, so I'm looking for cheap washerhead screws, if anyone has something they use

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Where are they being used.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

spax pan heads are what i've seen touted as an alternate to the kregs, but when i had a quick look they seemed pretty expensive too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

kadman wrote: »
    Where are they being used.

Mostly in the holes I create with the kreg jig :D

Honestly, though, I don't have a specific task in mind. I use the kreg when I don't want screw heads to show, and there won't be a high load. I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The whole purpose of the washer head screws is to spread the load to prevent splitting. The older Kreg screws didn't have this and I'm still working my way through a box of them. I would have thought the newer screws are worth the money especially as they have a shiny non rust finish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

cletus wrote: »
    I'm sure this has probably come up before on this forum, but here I am, looking for recommendations.

I've used ordinary woodscrews with small washers before, but that's a pain in the arse, really, so I'm looking for cheap washerhead screws, if anyone has something they use

I use one and a quarter inch Pan head screws.

• Advertisement
Advertisement