Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower tripping

Options
  • 23-06-2021 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Hi

As the title says, our electric shower keeps tripping if you're in it more than 5 minutes (me! :D). You then have to push the switch on the fusebox back up for it to work

I think maybe it might be the fuse - the shower itself is new enough (Mira about 3 years old).

Anyone else have any ideas?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get it checked straight away....

Could be leakage on neutral etc or water getting into somewhere or loose connection.

Very important to get it checked.

Is the RCD/rcbo tripping or mcb

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Very unlikely to be the shower itself. Much more likely to be a faulty RCBO. As stated above get RECI electrician to check it ASAP. Personally I would use the shower until fault is repaired

Edit: wouldn't use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Very unlikely to be the shower itself. Much more likely to be a faulty RCBO. As stated above get RECI electrician to check it ASAP. Personally I would use the shower until fault is repaired

I know you're in the faulty RCBO camp from your experience fitting showers

But honestly I still don't understand where you're getting this from

It's never been my experience that an RCBO trip is "most likely" to be a faulty RCBO

I'm troubleshooting trips for as long as I can remember and replacing the RCD/RCBO isn't a most likely outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Thank you for the replies. Can I ask?

What is/are RCB, RCBO, RCD?? :confused:

Terry.. wrote:
    But honestly I still don't understand where you're getting this from

If the shower has a faulty element or motor then it will usually trip instantly. Motors is modern showers are low voltage and not earthed. Tripping after 5 minutes of use could be water getting into the shower or a leak inside the shower but very unlikely in a 3 years old shower.

Statistically speaking it's probably 40 or 50 times more likely to be a faulty RCBO than a shower fault.

Obviously no one can say for sure without actually investigating. I wish more posters would come back & report the actual fault once repaired on the threads. I always like to know the end of the story regardless of who is right or wrong

• Advertisement

What is/are RCB, RCBO, RCD??

Trip switches at the fuse box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Hi

As the title says, our electric shower keeps tripping if you're in it more than 5 minutes (me! :D). You then have to push the switch on the fusebox back up for it to work

I think maybe it might be the fuse - the shower itself is new enough (Mira about 3 years old).

TIA :)

Was the shower a replacement for a previous one?
    When roughly would the shower wiring have been carried out?
    A photograph of the shower and also your fuse board may be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

Sleeper12 wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

If you switch on the pull cord but do not start the shower, it should trip if its the fuse.
    Otherwise if it is only when the shower is started, then it is the shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

Meeoow wrote: »
    If you switch on the pull cord but do not start the shower, it should trip if its the fuse.

Hmm definitely not true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

So if we had a 32A mcb and a 45 amp shower, does that explanation work?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Terry.. wrote: »
    Hmm definitely not true

Just what I was told before by a spark. I stand corrected.

Bruthal. wrote: »
    So if we had a 32A mcb and a 45 amp shower, does that explanation work?

Indeed it does. It would be a good fit with the description of the issue.

Such a situation could arise if an older shower was replaced, and consideration wasn’t given to it being a higher KW. Or it could simply be an incorrectly sized MCB / RCBO and or cabling. In the past showers tended to be protected with 32A overcurrent protection.

Just what I was told before by a spark. I stand corrected.

What you say is not completely without merit, and in the case of cabling faults for example the technique you describe may provide some insight as to the location of the fault.

But it’s not a comprehensive test, and very few conclusions could be drawn from it.

In this particular case the tripping occurs when the installation is subjected to sustained load for a period - and for this symptom what you describe isn’t likely to cut it I’m afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Indeed it does. It would be a good fit with the description of the issue.

Such a situation could arise if an older shower was replaced, and consideration wasn’t given to it being a higher KW. Or it could simply be an incorrectly sized MCB / RCBO and or cabling. In the past showers tended to be protected with 32A overcurrent protection.

Well my question was to the poster who said....
    That is not really a realistic diagnostic method to show the protective device is the problem.

The original problem however, obviously an undersized MCB can be the problem.

Any updates on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Hi

Just to come back on this...

The issue seems to be intermittent - shower worked OK for a week, then tripped again this morning. I think the suggestion of the fusebox overloading could be a good one. The wiring's pretty old, and I have a feeling the fusebox will need to be replaced at the very least. The shower was replaced as the pump on the existing one failed.

I'm waiting for a sparks to come back to me, as I need to get it inspected.

Thanks all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Of and when you do upgrade get some seperation of RCD protection to protect against losing all sockets.
    Ask about spreading out more on a few extra rcbo and this would include having shower on its own of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

Of and when you do upgrade get some seperation of RCD protection to protect against losing all sockets.
    Ask about spreading out more on a few extra rcbo and this would include having shower on its own of course.

When I first started doing that years ago adding Rcbos to sort out random trips and minimise loss of power

The comical thing was that instead of 1 shared Rcd tripping you could now end up with 2 or more Rcbos tripping depending on the type of installation

Overall the way to go though

Advertisement