Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring doorbell Wired cannot connect to wifi

Options
  • 18-06-2021 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

I did the part i was more concerned about - wiring.

I thought i was all set but it will not connect to the wifi. At least, the set up does not complete. Any help appreicated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Does it connect if you bring it next to your access point?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Post the model and what the router is.
    I bet it’s the older gem that only supports 2.5ghz and you’re using the eir router which combined the 2.5ghz and 5ghz and doesn’t allow you to separate.
    l got around it by getting the tplink extender which can connect to the eir router and then broadcast a separate 2.5ghz channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

TheChizler wrote: »
    Does it connect if you bring it next to your access point?

It says to connect to ring wifi and i try that. Sometimes it says it will not connect to ring wifi and i have to select it in the iphone settings. The bell says connected to app on occasion also.

Then when i go back to the app it wont let me past that stage. So cannot complete. Sorry if this is all over the place but i am :-)

Blazer wrote: »
    I bet it’s the older gem that only supports 2.5ghz and you’re using the eir router which combined the 2.5ghz and 5ghz and doesn’t allow you to separate.
    l got around it by getting the tplink extender which can connect to the eir router and then broadcast a separate 2.5ghz channel.

Router is Fritz! Box7490 (main modem)but i also have a 7530 fritz on other side of hallway.

I have a choice of 5ghz on 7490 modemor what i believe is 2.5 but does not say it on wifi setting.

Bell is called Ring Video Doorbell Wired. It is black and £35 currently on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

McSween wrote: »
    It says to connect to ring wifi and i try that. Sometimes it says it will not connect to ring wifi and i have to select it in the iphone settings. The bell says connected to app on occasion also.

Then when i go back to the app it wont let me past that stage. So cannot complete. Sorry if this is all over the place but i am :-)

Just so we're clear are you saying that's what happens if you bring it close it the access point? So distance isn't a factor here?

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just so we're clear are you saying that's what happens if you bring it close it the access point? So distance isn't a factor here?

No. The doorway is close to modem. I set up my father in law’s (by fluke) earlier in the week and distance between bell and modem was the same

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

On your phone, forget your home wifi network.

When setting up the Ring, you connect to its own wifi network, and then give it the new network credentials. If you switch back to your house network in the middle of the setup it will disconnect from the Ring.

Also it might be better to invest in a chime pro. It will automatically connect with the ring doorbell, more seamless than your standard wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Blazer wrote: »
    Ive a ring gen2 running with no issues on a ssid broadcasting both 2.5 and 5ghz

I got it working. Changed wifi join setting on iPhone to ‘ask’. . Turned phone off and on and the installation steps worked through to the end.

Thanks all for replies

Any way of turning down the bell volume (when pressing it) so neighbours cant hear it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Any way of turning down the bell volume (when pressing it) so neighbours cant hear it?

https://www.smarthomepoint.com/ring-doorbell-change-sound/#the-outside-ring-doorbell-sound

Advertisement