Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fork straightening ?

Options
  • 18-06-2021 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Anyone do fork straightening in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Zipppy wrote: »

Whats the bike? Might be worth just buying a new stanchion instead.
    Forks don't tend to straighten well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

Ring around a few engineering places, I would imagine it's a straightforward job for them.

I would highly advise against it though, just buy new forks. It's not worth the risk, unless they are going to x-ray it after there a high chance the structure will be compromised in the act of straightening it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NailerO77

Dont do it they will never be the same again, try a breakers for replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Never heard of this before, surely a new spurious stanchion replacement would cost the same as the labour to do something like this. I'd imagine that a bent stanchion could never be right again.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Are they "normal" forks or upside downs?

And was it an impact were you can see the fork tubes bent, or did the bike go down on it's side and the steering is bent out of line, but the forks may not be bent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Gas how times have changed.
    30 years ago things like Fork Straightening were commonplace.
    Along with.....
    2-stroke re-boring. Every Town had at least one small Engineering Place that would do it.
    Bike Shops making Brake, Clutch and Throttle cables from scratch.
    Bike Shops (again) making spoked Wheels by eye.
    Blowing out dents in Petrol Tanks with a Compressor.
    Brake Shoe and Clutch Disc re-lining....probably more related to Cars, but still was very common.
    Local places rewinding Stator coils, etc.

Probably loads more 'jobs' like this that were done locally (or at home) but have all disappeared now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Gas how times have changed.
    30 years ago things like Fork Straightening were commonplace.
    Along with.....
    2-stroke re-boring. Every Town had at least one small Engineering Place that would do it.
    Bike Shops making Brake, Clutch and Throttle cables from scratch.
    Bike Shops (again) making spoked Wheels by eye.
    Blowing out dents in Petrol Tanks with a Compressor.
    Brake Shoe and Clutch Disc re-lining....probably more related to Cars, but still was very common.
    Local places rewinding Stator coils, etc.

Probably loads more 'jobs' like this that were done locally (or at home) but have all disappeared now.

Rip the Candlestick maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Straightening forks is a no go , it’s rarely if ever the same as what it was … get a second hand set from breaker

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

https://manlyengineering.ie/motorbike-fork-stanchions-rechromed-ashbourne-meath-ireland
    They advise that if there is any kink in them, NO.
    You can get them repaired if there is a bend with no kinks in them.

I bent my Renthals the otherday and a engineering friend is recommending I just replace them as I've damaged the structure. Modern alloys are strong, but loose their strength once damaged due to the design.
    I imagine it will be the same with your forks, but alot more vital

I was tempted to bash them with a hammer, but theyre not an expensive component to replace, just a massive pain in the arse for my bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Thanks all..

Yeah I actually bought them in a breakers ages ago..said they were straight..but Ionly got round to working on them recently and had them checked and they are bent (not visible to my untrained eye)
    There are a few other sets on the go in breakers but sure they're probably bent too..despite being told they are straight..

Thanks all..

Yeah I actually bought them in a breakers ages ago..said they were straight..but Ionly got round to working on them recently and had them checked and they are bent (not visible to my untrained eye)
    There are a few other sets on the go in breakers but sure they're probably bent too..despite being told they are straight..

that always sucks! I hadsomething similar with a spare front wheel, was told they were straight, and then when I went to fit them a few months later (delay was only because I had to fit them at my parents house due to lack of stand in Dublin)

Hub was off. I even took the wheel apart and got a truing stand to make sure it was the hub

Advertisement