Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esb smart meter

Options
  • 09-04-2021 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I Moved into a new build last year and last week got an email to say my smart meter is now active. I didn't know I had a smart meter, I didn't get an option to opt out of having a smart meter. For many reasons I don't want a smart meter. How do I go about getting the smart meter removed and an ordinary meter installed? I have emailed them.. No reply. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

As the smart meter is the new norm and all existing meters are being replaced across the country with smart meter I don't think removing will be an option. 

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Annie20

Thank you for your reply. I know of customers who were written to by electric Ireland and were able to opt out of having a smart meter installed, we unfortunately did not receive any correspondence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Annie,

Just contact ESB Networks on their dedicated Smart Meters telephone line, 1800 928 123.

Which email address did you send your query to?

Thanks,
    Una

Hi Una,

I have been calling this number since 12th April, speaking to 5 different people and was told that my request to have the smart meter removed from my property had been passed to my local office.
    A guy named Paul who is a supervisor in the Cork office smart metering team who I spoke to on 22nd April was to call me back, I received no call back, I rang twice again on 22nd and 23rd of April and he is not returning my calls. I submitted a complaint to esb networks complaint email on 21st, this has not been acknowledged either. Do you know if there is going to be a problem here? I know that the old analogue meters are still in use as some new builds tariffs/a2w etc are not suitable for smart metering. Where should I go from here, 2 weeks trying to get an update. Thank you

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi there, 

We regret any inconvenience. 

As this is being dealt with by ESB Networks, we don't have any information. You will need to discuss this directly with them. 

Kind regards, 
    Aoife

• Advertisement

Esb

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Annie20 wrote: »
    Hi Una,

I have been calling this number since 12th April, speaking to 5 different people and was told that my request to have the smart meter removed from my property had been passed to my local office.
    A guy named Paul who is a supervisor in the Cork office smart metering team who I spoke to on 22nd April was to call me back, I received no call back, I rang twice again on 22nd and 23rd of April and he is not returning my calls. I submitted a complaint to esb networks complaint email on 21st, this has not been acknowledged either. Do you know if there is going to be a problem here? I know that the old analogue meters are still in use as some new builds tariffs/a2w etc are not suitable for smart metering. Where should I go from here, 2 weeks trying to get an update. Thank you
    I think you are stuck with your smart meter. The ESB does not use any analogue metres anymore as they are not produced anymore. So they cannot do what you ask for. They just let you hang in there and hope you stop pestering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

I don't get what the problem is... The smart meters are the new meters which are going to be installed in all properties. Getting them to remove the meter just to have it reinstalled again in th future. If you don't want it buy some candles. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A little baffled by this, I had a smart meter installed well over a year ago, probably one of the 1st installed. Rural dwelling and previous meter must have been 40 years old.

I was not given a choice and personally had no objection to it being installed, why would I or anyone for that matter, I've heard all sorts of conspiracy theories, GDPR concerns, I'm just not getting these concerns.

Practically it makes sense, up to date readings, not having a complete stranger knocking on my door to do readings every few months and in time additional services, monitoring usage, new tariff offerings etc will be available.

I'm not at all sure ESB networks will remove an existing smart meter and even if they did, it would be horrendously expensive.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

You will not get the old analogue meter re-installed.I did not ask but new tech is the norm.The ESB won't reverse.I have a smart meter.I got an email to inform me it was active.But to find out exactly what the "smart" features are I must agree to using those "smart" features.The ESB "blurb" only informs me vaguely of what those features are,together with commentators in the medja contributing their tuppence worth.That is what I object to-signing blindly into an agreement.The descriptions of functions are vague,almost promisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

You can be sure that the digital meter will be used to get the most of profit out of you.

I don't buy for a second that this "smart revolution" will benefit the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

So I got an electric Ireland bill this week , and my average usage went from 350/400 Kwh per billing period , to a massive 2,000 Kwh for the latest billing period.I cook with gas and have no Children living at home .House is empty from nine until six most days , I now read my meter first thing in the morning and last thing at night and the readings are what they would normally be .I have no clue what happening and more worryingly neither do electric. The words of wisdom from them was that prices went up last month and the new meters were more accurate .Whats my next port of call .

My initial thoughts are, we're your previous bills estimated, prior to a smart meter being installed it starts from Zero, the reading a little different than the old system. Also have you moved to one of the new plans (I certainly did not, way to expensive as I'm a low user), you are not obligated to change your tariff/plan, but some have and can not revert back to old plan. ( I don't think this the issue though as its unit usage your concerned about)

Mine was one of the first installed (very rural location) I've been monitoring it very carefully for the past few months and honestly no issues apart from levy increases (I actually spend more on levies than I do on electricity)

I'm on my own, Gas Hob, Oil and solid fuel heating, my main use in summer is Kettle.

I suppose as yours a recent install, you could verify that date, as the meter should have started at Zero, look at bills since installation and double check previous bills were not estimated. It seems from your post, meter operating correctly, the billing issue seems to be pre installation (just a guess mind you)

This is pic of my Electric Ireland usage , and if I went back 20 years it would be pretty much the same , until my last bill .

Certainly quite a Jump, I'm stumped to be honest apart from my initial thoughts, as you've said meter operating normally so something went wrong between old billing and new billing (again just a guess), I recall when mine own installed the fitter asked me to confirm reading being displayed.

Hi rebeve,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Are you an Electric Ireland customer?

If so, can you please send a private message to the Electric Ireland Reps account? We will liaise with the smart meter team and ask them to call you.

We need you to please confirm the following details:

• Your full name
    • Your address
    • Your account number
    • Your contact number
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (Yes/No)

Kind regards,

Aoife

Just wondering is a week and counting the normal timescale waiting for a call back .Electric Ireland reps gone dark as well .

Hi there,

We apologise for the delay.

I have responded to your private message.

Kind regards,

Aoife

Advertisement