Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Silcocky wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

26 weeks today and think we have it narrowed down to the last four or five names for each sex. Presumably it'll be decided depending on what he/she 'looks' like!

The boys names are (in order of preference):
    Max
    Cole
    Ollie
    Tommy
    Spence(r)

Girls:
    Connie
    Rae
    Victoria
    Nicole

What do ye think? We're getting mixed reviews for Connie, our favourite girls name....
    First of all congrats. Its a great exciting time.:)

Of the names i like Ollie and Max. I also like Nicole.
    But that's just me and my personality and your decision should reflect yours imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Pick what you like best.

I love Connie, such a aweet name, pretty name but had not heard it in years.

Out of the boys names Ollie and Max would be my fav.

Best of luck!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Silcocky wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

26 weeks today and think we have it narrowed down to the last four or five names for each sex. Presumably it'll be decided depending on what he/she 'looks' like!

The boys names are (in order of preference):
    Max
    Cole
    Ollie
    Tommy
    Spence(r)

Girls:
    Connie
    Rae
    Victoria
    Nicole

What do ye think? We're getting mixed reviews for Connie, our favourite girls name....

We have very different taste in names but I do love Nicole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

My girlfriend is nearing 17 weeks and I think we have already decided :) What do y'all think of Lily for a girl and Shea for a boy?

Lily has always been my girlfriends choice and Shea happened to pop up on the credits of a TV show and I really liked it :P My Grandad was James so it's also a nice link to him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My girlfriend is nearing 17 weeks and I think we have already decided :) What do y'all think of Lily for a girl and Shea for a boy?

Lily has always been my girlfriends choice and Shea happened to pop up on the credits of a TV show and I really liked it :P My Grandad was James so it's also a nice link to him.

My brother is called Shay. I think it's a lovely name :) He was born in April, as was my uncle Seamus, so when the last male cousin was born in April, he got Seamus as a middle name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I really like both names. Especially Lily. Very pretty and simple imo:)

Shay is lovely, never came across the Shea spelling before.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

The only thing with the name Lily is that I reckon that it's gona be like the name Mary, ie; hoards of them walking around!

Shay is lovely, never came across the Shea spelling before.

Ye we thought about the spelling. Shea is basically short for Seamus, I've seen it around a few times. :)

SarahJ wrote: »
    The only thing with the name Lily is that I reckon that it's gona be like the name Mary, ie; hoards of them walking around!

A bunch of Lilys:D which reminds me, it's Mothers Day tomorrow :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the GF is due on the 20th April.........
    I think were nearly 99% settled on

Girl : Ruby
    Boy : Lucas

Edit - Wahoo, 5000th post :)

Ye I like both of them! I wouldn't go for Ruby for my child though as my surname is Walsh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Does Sorsha exist ? [ with this spelling ? ]

If I heard that name in ireland though - I'd be thinking of the man's name George. http://www.behindthename.com/name/seoirse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Do ye think it's important to have siblings names complement each other? Our son has a fairly classic name that's a bit 'trendy' at the moment. We chose it because it travels well - my husband isn't Irish and there's a good chance we'll end up living in a non-English speaking country in the future. Anyway, we're expecting again and I keep being drawn to all the 'old-fashioned' names in our family, like Tommy, Paudie, Joe, Bridget, Maggie, Nell etc. These absolutely don't 'go' with our son's name (unless we use Margaret in full, which is a bit much for a lickle baby). The older names have really fallen out of use - I don't know when the last Mary went through our local primary school and there used to be at least 3 in every year!

So, do you think sibling's names should match?

Do ye think it's important to have siblings names complement each other? Our son has a fairly classic name that's a bit 'trendy' at the moment. We chose it because it travels well - my husband isn't Irish and there's a good chance we'll end up living in a non-English speaking country in the future. Anyway, we're expecting again and I keep being drawn to all the 'old-fashioned' names in our family, like Tommy, Paudie, Joe, Bridget, Maggie, Nell etc. These absolutely don't 'go' with our son's name (unless we use Margaret in full, which is a bit much for a lickle baby). The older names have really fallen out of use - I don't know when the last Mary went through our local primary school and there used to be at least 3 in every year!

I am 11 weeks gone and afarid to start taking about names but lately I have started thinking of Bridget or Maryrose. As you said names you That you hardly ever hear now. I also love Delia as a old lady called Delia was so lovely to us as children. For a boy I like simple old fashioned names like James, Hugh, oliver

Nell and maggie are really cute but you could always put the full name on the birth cert so she can use it later if she wants to. Joe and Tommy are nice but have a block about paudie!!!

I dont think it really matters if names match. I see a lot of families in my pre school with non matching names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I am 11 weeks gone and afarid to start taking about names but lately I have started thinking of Bridget or Maryrose. As you said names you That you hardly ever hear now. I also love Delia as a old lady called Delia was so lovely to us as children. For a boy I like simple old fashioned names like James, Hugh, oliver

Love your choice of names, we also have Delia, James, Hugh, & Oliver on our latest list, which keeps changing as the weeks tick by . . .

Haven't heard of Maryrose, apart from King Henry VIII's flagship :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Does anyone like Emme (pronounced Emmy) for a girl? It's really growing on me - a twist on the more classic 'Emma'.
    I also like Keema (I need to stop watching The WIRE).

My traditional choices are:

Kate (after my maternal grandmother)
    Danny (after OH's paternal grandfather)

emme is estonian for mama (ema means mother)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have a freind who's partner is French speaking. Her 1st has a french name andher second has an Irish name. They thought that would be fair.

She's has often been asked if they have the same father :eek:
    I suppose because they aren't married but are together over a decade.

Even though they are the image of each other.

I know i sound like my mother, but as soon as I saw you post I thought of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Have just under four weeks to go. Me and my daughter are in charge of girls name and OH is picking if it's a boy. So far I've come up with Lexie or Lucy and my daughter likes Kayla or Rebecca. OH is settled on Caleb with Matthew as a second name for a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Connie as in short for Concepta or Constance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

Hi Sharrow,

It wouldn't be short for anything, we'd christen her Connie... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sharrow wrote: »
    Connie as in short for Concepta or Constance?

Connie is usually an abbreviation of Constance.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

TE=anplaya;71542885]emme is estonian for mama (ema means mother)[/QUOTE]

Really pretty name.

I love Livia for a girl and am also considering Elizabeth shortened to Libby. Haven't considered any boys names yet but a long way to go so plenty of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we are liking the name noah now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

we are liking the name noah now
    Well, it'll tie in with your user name!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bride2012

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Morning,

We are expecting baby 2 in June and are looking for girl names [ boy name is ok :-) ]

I like Saoirse but my wife isn't too keen on the pronunciation Sear-Shah. [ and also because our familiy in France still can get to grips with Caoimhe :D ]

Does Sorsha exist ? [ with this spelling ? ]

We also like Sheena and a colleague's wife is called Sheena, with the following spelling : Síona but I haven't found much info about this spelling.
    Is it an uncommon name ?
    Thanks
    Mr P

Just be warned that Seoirse is pronounced the same way and is a boy's name, Irish for George.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

What do people think of these:

Boys:
    Daniel
    Alex
    Ben
    Sam

Girls:
    Lucy
    Erin

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TT92

Hi Winnie!
    I have to say I love the name Erin! It the name we have picked too if we have a girl!

admiralofthefleet:
    I adore the name Noah! It was on my list but hubby wont agree as he know a guy called Noah that he doesnt like!:( I wouldnt mind, he wouldnt see this guy from one end of the year to the next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I love the name Lucy, as it was my daughters name. <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

Winnie wrote: »
    What do people think of these:

Boys:
    Daniel
    Alex
    Ben
    Sam

Girls:
    Lucy
    Erin

I love Alex and it was a strong contender when we were expecting our first lad but we went with Adam in the end despite calling the bump Luke through most of that pregnancy.

Second time round I knew it was a boy and my 2 favourite names during the pregnancy were Elliot and Zac but a couple of nights before he was born I was watching tv and 3 programmes after another featured a character called Nick/Nicholas so when sproggy was born he was named Nicholas Elliot.

I also like Noah, Ben, Sam.

I love the name Lucy and as I will not be having a girl I named one of my cats Lucy. Erin reminds me of compost and soup.

Advertisement