Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touring Queensland advice

Options
  • 17-04-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello everybody,

Just hoping somebody can give me some advice.

Going to be touring QLD next month. Just wondering if a week is too much to spend in the Cairns region?

Also what is the best/cheapest rental car company to use from Townsville? I have looked at the global companies but was wondering if you guys know of any local companies?

So far I'm doing Magnetic Island, Mission Beach, Cairns and possibly Port Douglas, but the last 2 places are all up in the air at the min.

All advice appreciate, I'm a complete greenhorn when it comes to all things Aussie and my three week trip is just around the corner!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

There's nothing really special about Cairns so unless you are using it for a base to explore other places like Port Douglas and/or for scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef, I think a week is too long. It's been a while since I was that far North, but I remember I enjoyed Magnetic Island as a backpacker.

It all depends what you are into. But Cairns itself was a bit of a hole: good for backpacker booze-ups and not much else. If that has changed in recent years hopefully someone will correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

2-3 days is enough for Cairns unless you're into the scene at Gilligans.
    The reef, Kuranda sky rail, maybe the old steam train, Atherton tablelands if you're interested; they've made a bit of a foodie trail with coffee & cocoa plantations. They would be the main reasons to make Cairns a base. The Esplanade has really gone down the tubes, it's overpriced and had pretty terrible service at restaurants, I left one spot because I'd sat for over 10minutes and hadn't even gotten a menu. There's a terrific Thai up the highway from the airport and good spots for brunch/lunch opposite Gilligans.
    I'd go to Port for the remainder of the week, much nicer feel to the place. You can head north to Cape Trib, think it got off relatively unscathed after cyclone Ita. There's Mosman gorge for some nice hikes. And there are reef trips from Port also, shorter time to get out there too because the reef is closer to shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

I was in Cairns 7 years ago and liked it at the time. However, I did a good bit of scuba diving art the great barrier reef, also did a sky dive, bungee jumping at aj Hacketts, & white water rafting. Unfortunately, they're all pricey things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Only reason to stay in cairns is to get up to port Douglas doing the captain cook highway drive and seeing cape tribulation/barrier reef and a few of the driving distance hotspots around the cairns hinterland.

Cairns itself is a fairly crappy place. So I'd only stay for a week if you're planning on seeing anything in driving distance of the place and not cairns itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 goo goo doll

Hi All, Thanks for your advice. Only spending 2 days in Cairns itself and then heading up the coast.

Its Fitzroy island worth visting? Im actually spending a few days in Magnetic Island so I'm just wondering if it compares to Fitzroy at all? Is it worth including in the plans?

Its all becoming very real now, I'll be there in a month!

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement