Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭saabsaab

New Home wrote: »
    Mod: Back to the UFOs, please, enough of the typo/grammar jibes.

UFO

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oi! I'll FO in my own good time, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

maybe it was that engine that fell off the boeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Pilots are the least credible people in the world aren't they..You don't have to be a sane, intelligent individual at all to be a pilot do you?

Oh wait you do...

Pilots throughout the years have seen strange objects (many credible cases) and if they spot a strange object that is out of this world then I believe them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Pilots are the least credible people in the world aren't they..You don't have to be a sane, intelligent individual at all to be a pilot do you?

Oh wait you do...

Pilots throughout the years have seen strange objects (many credible cases) and if they spot a strange object that is out of this world then I believe them.

They cover alien aircraft as part of their training?
    And To the Stars are focussing everything on History Channelesque nonsense.
    http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/to-the-stars-falls-back-to-earth-refocusing-as-an-entertainment-company

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »

This is from the article you posted:

''As to what the pilots aboard American Airlines Flight 2292 could have actually seen, we really cannot say at this time. Many will point out that New Mexico is home to the sprawling White Sands Missile Range (WSMR) along with a bevy of other military facilities, installations, and restricted areas.''

Anyway, I hope you're not saying that by dint of being a pilot, one is utterly averse to being economical with the actualité.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The chances that there are Aliens out there is a
    magnitude more likely than there aren't.
    For all we know we were put here.

I don't believe we've been visited recently.

COVID wrote: »

''As to what the pilots aboard American Airlines Flight 2292 could have actually seen, we really cannot say at this time. Many will point out that New Mexico is home to the sprawling White Sands Missile Range (WSMR) along with a bevy of other military facilities, installations, and restricted areas.''

Anyway, I hope you're not saying that by dint of being a pilot, one is utterly averse to being economical with the actualité.

Oops, my bad.

My last point was addressed to another poster; jmlad2020

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Oops, my bad.

My last point was addressed to another poster; jmlad2020

The vaccines are getting to you ..

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Dr, if you have one, I'll take one, or even two.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Dr, if you have one, I'll take one, or even two.

Doh! Forgot my username....I'm off to bed. :o

Seems unlikely to be a test missile in close proximity to a passenger plane.. America surely would wait until there is nothing around to test rockets... More likely a supreme new type of aircraft that is being kept secret than a missile... or...

It's just one of the countless UFO sightings logged close to American air bases. If the Aliens do exist I'm sure they would be interested in what type of weapons those silly dumb earthlings possess..

Seems unlikely to be a test missile in close proximity to a passenger plane.. America surely would wait until there is nothing around to test rockets... More likely a supreme new type of aircraft that is being kept secret than a missile... or...

It's just one of the countless UFO sightings logged close to American air bases. If the Aliens do exist I'm sure they would be interested in what type of weapons those silly dumb earthlings possess..

Ah, so they - the non-Earthlings - have the wherewithal to travel innumerable miles from distant worlds, and what do they do with this great power?

They come here to our lovely little planet, so they can keep a weather eye on US Military and/or commercial air traffic over the skies of New Mexico...got it!

Ah, so they - the non-Earthlings - have the wherewithal to travel innumerable miles from distant worlds, and what do they do with this great power?

They come here to our lovely little planet, so they can keep a weather eye on US Military and/or commercial air traffic over the skies of New Mexico...got it!

You lack imagination.

You lack imagination.

And you might have a bit too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Yes survey/observation missions just as we on Earth would do if we had the technology to travel to inhabited planets in other star systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You don't dismiss phenomena by failing to assign motive. We have humans who travel vast distances to study and characterise new forms of insect.

I think the point is that pilots are more likely to be familiar with aerial phenomena than the average observer. It doesn't mean that they are right if they say aliens of course but If they say they witnessed unidentified flying craft then they should be taken seriously.

The case can be augmented in the case of military pilots who have dedicated radar back-up.

Yes survey/observation missions just as we on Earth would do if we had the technology to travel to inhabited planets in other star systems.

Yeah, right.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think the point is that pilots are more likely to be familiar with aerial phenomena than the average observer. It doesn't mean that they are right if they say aliens of course but If they say they witnessed unidentified flying craft then they should be taken seriously.

The case can be augmented in the case of military pilots who have dedicated radar back-up.

Sure.

People see things in the sky, which aren't immediately recognisable.

Pilots are more likely to see passing objects in the sky than plumbers or chartered accountants.

So what?

This is what I had in mind with my last post, CNN:

''Given the professionalism of the pilots who reported the sightings, I am fairly certain that they did indeed see a UFO. The problem is that many people jump directly from the "unidentified" in "UFO" to "flying saucer." And that's just too large a jump to be reasonable. There is simply no credible evidence that the Earth is being visited by aliens. There are no artifacts, no clear photographs, no captured aliens, no alien bodies -- nothing.''

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/21/opinions/pilots-seeing-ufos-opinion-lincoln/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

have they said it was aliens or just that it was something they couldn't explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

have they said it was aliens or just that it was something they couldn't explain?

doubt they'd be able to say if it was alien or not. Is an unidentified flying object - something they couldnt explain, them being aviation experts etc - downgraded to a 'just'?

Sure.

People see things in the sky, which aren't immediately recognisable.

Pilots are more likely to see passing objects in the sky than plumbers or chartered accountants.

But that's not what's happening. Pilots are on record as reporting something unknown based on:

FLIR images and videos
    Radar data
    Visual observations.

Most didn't say aliens. Some like the director of CIA said it could be extra-terrestrial based on the FLIR videos taken from the Nimitz encounter.

In the most prominent sightings from military pilots, radar technicians and pilots looking at the recorded videos they were described as unidentified aerial craft.

These sightings led to the formation of a government program (Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program - AATIP) tasked with investigating the origin of these craft (Russia, China or who knows?).
    The materials studied by AATIP have been the subject of classified congressional hearings aimed at understanding and identifying the potential threat to the safety and security of aviators. The Navy has confirmed that, in response to inquiries by members of Congress, they have provided a series of briefings by senior naval intelligence officials as well as testimony from "aviators who reported hazards to aviation safety".[40] The contents of those briefings are classified, but Senator Mark Warner, the vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, who participated in one of those briefings, released a statement requesting further research into "unexplained interference in the air" that could pose safety concerns for naval pilots.[37] According to Popular Mechanics, Senate Intelligence Committee Brigadier General Richard Stapp, Director of the DoD Special Access Program Central Office, testified the mysterious objects being encountered by the military were not related to secret U.S. technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Yeah, right.

Good to see that you agree with me.

But that's not what's happening. Pilots are on record as reporting something unknown based on:

FLIR images and videos
    Radar data
    Visual observations.

No.

They're seeing things in the sky (in most cases, passing at great speed) which aren't immediately identifiable....or, as a previous poster said: ''something they couldn't explain''.

And yes, sometimes, FLIR images and videos, radar data confirm these sightings.

Sightings of what though?

Aliens from another planet, or even another galaxy?

We're back to the thread title under discussion; Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Some do, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

No.

They're seeing things in the sky (in most cases, passing at great speed) which aren't immediately identifiable....or, as a previous poster said: ''something they couldn't explain''.

And yes, sometimes, FLIR images and videos, radar data confirm these sightings.

Sightings of what though?

Aliens from another planet, or even another galaxy.

We're back to the thread title under discussion; Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

So do, some don't.

what are they seeing then in the likes of the tictac video, if not something unidentified - as admitted to being so by the US Airforce.

Rather than admit we dont know what it is, you'd prefer a conspiracy theory that its one of their own and they arent telling us? (lets not even look down the rabbit hole of why bother making it public in the first place if that were the case)

They cant identify the objects - thats what a UFO is.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    what are they seeing then in the likes of the tictac video, if not something unidentified - as admitted to being so by the US Airforce.

Rather than admit we dont know what it is, you'd prefer a conspiracy theory that its one of their own and they arent telling us? (lets not even look down the rabbit hole of why bother making it public in the first place if that were the case)

They cant identify the objects - thats what a UFO is.

We'll agree on the last line in bold.

Believe me; I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

If anything, I'd wager that there are more conspiracy theorists amongst the ranks of 'believers' in alien spaceships, flying-saucers, etc., than those of us of a more sceptical nature.

Advertisement