Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord na Mona

Options
  • 21-04-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

What is up with Bord na Mona? All staff have been let go except they are all still on full pay and the union is still complaining!

I remember seeing a news item about them earlier in the year. Their core business was gone but they were trying to retrain their staff to insulate houses instead. I wonder how that worked out...

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0421/1132927-bord-na-mona/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Their business has gone up in smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

108M to keep the boys in jobs:
    Cabinet approves €108m for midlands peatland restoration

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1124/1180163-bord-na-mona/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,992 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that's good news and is actually good value tbh.
    the bogland will have to be repurposed anyway so may as well get those who know them inside out to do the work, pay them a wage and continue to keep jobs in the areas.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

that's good news and is actually good value tbh.
    the bogland will have to be repurposed anyway so may as well get those who know them inside out to do the work, pay them a wage and continue to keep jobs in the areas.

Can we see some breakdown of your costs? What are your cost benefit analysis? What were the alternative options you considered ?

After all how could you come to this conclusion without carrying out the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

salonfire wrote: »
    Can we we your breakdown of costs? What are your cost benefit analysis? What were the alternative options you considered ?

It's give the money to Bord Na Mona, get them to do a job and help the environment
    Or let them go bust, no jobs for these people and we give the same money to people sitting on the socail

• Advertisement

Can we we your breakdown of costs? What are your cost benefit analysis? What were the alternative options you considered ?

the government seem to have already decided the strategy, take it up with them and ask them for what you require.
    as i said, the bogs are going to have to be repurposed as part of our environmental and sustainability commitments to bring biodiversity and cultural enrichment to the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the unions ride roughshod over the taxpayer to fund the company they closed down.... well done again unions... parasites...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭KarlMarks

We need more semi-states and not less of them. The former bord na mona bog land should be repurposed for wind, biomass and solar installations and that should remain in public ownership. They will be probably be sold off for cents on the euro during the next economic 'crisis' to billionaire investment funds who will asset strip them and leave the midlands without employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

I left last year after 40 great years through redundancy and if the greens had no say in matters BNM wouldn't get a tosser. Most of those left no fcuk all about bog restoration but will draw huge saleries lettng on they do know about it. Its a simple matter of blocking the production drains to retain the water and regenerate growth and over time it will and life will come back to it naturally.

Liamo57 wrote: »
    I left last year after 40 great years through redundancy and if the greens had no say in matters BNM wouldn't get a tosser. Most of those left no fcuk all about bog restoration but will draw huge saleries lettng on they do know about it. Its a simple matter of blocking the production drains to retain the water and regenerate growth and over time it will and life will come back to it naturally.

If it is simple matter of blocking the production drains then why do they need to know f**k all about bog restoration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

the government seem to have already decided the strategy, take it up with them and ask them for what you require.
    as i said, the bogs are going to have to be repurposed as part of our environmental and sustainability commitments to bring biodiversity and cultural enrichment to the nation.

So you go around making claims without doing some critical analysis and thinking for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

KarlMarks wrote: »
    We need more semi-states and not less of them. The former bord na mona bog land should be repurposed for wind, biomass and solar installations and that should remain in public ownership. They will be probably be sold off for cents on the euro during the next economic 'crisis' to billionaire investment funds who will asset strip them and leave the midlands without employment.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " - Ronald Raegan.

Every semi-state we've ever had has been an utter and complete failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

What a stupid question. You seem like a prime candidate for a job in the present BNM. Apply and best of luck. Tell them you know Fcuk all about bog and you will get a managers job. Make sure you are overweight with a nice suit and know a bit about Offaly football. Best of luck, I'll be rooting for you.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " - Ronald Raegan.

Oh look, it's a lad who pays some income tax, and once tried to read a book by Milton Friendman. Probably a lad in his 30's who can't afford to buy a house and thinks the issue is some lefties.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Wind in the Midlands?

Basically giant pylons with turbines on them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Nermal wrote: »

About the average price, and good value for a small island with large investments in wind.

If it is simple matter of blocking the production drains then why do they need to know f**k all about bog restoration?

They might not even know that

the unions ride roughshod over the taxpayer to fund the company they closed down.... well done again unions... parasites...

yeah, the unions are to blame for closing down a company that is still operating.
    they are also to blame for a government decision to change the company's remit as part of agreements it had actually been failing to deliver on for quite some time.
    So you go around making claims without doing some critical analysis and thinking for yourself.

i don't, no .
    the government have made a decision that makes a whole load of sense when you actually look at it and read the bare basics of what they are doing.
    no need to waste time doing large scale annalizing to know so.

all of them? on what basis do you state this?
    Raeganism and similar failed and the world is moving on, good riddens to such scurges.

• Advertisement

They might not even know that

Well you just posted it on the internet so they do now, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

About the average price, and good value for a small island with large investments in wind.

The fourth-highest price in the EU. Investments are supposed to raise living standards, not lower them.

Funny to read posters asking for more semi-states.

A new generation have some old lessons to learn.

Nermal wrote: »
    The fourth-highest price in the EU. Investments are supposed to raise living standards, not lower them.

Funny to read posters asking for more semi-states.

A new generation have some old lessons to learn.

they don't, the world has moved on, young people don't care about badly managed stuff from almost half a century ago.
    it's nothing more then scare mongering to them, because the reality which created the issues with past semi-states no longer exist and won't exist again.

Advertisement