Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Map of Kurdistan. olek4trq8gd51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

mikhail wrote: »
    I can comprehend the thinking, so I didn't comment. Obviously, it's of local interest.

I guess so, but I can't say I have any sense of there being a Cornish identity as late as that. In 1918, Cornish was already long extinct as a first language.
    I dunno , they see themselves as english ,kind of in the same way as the english or welsh see themselves as british ,
    A rural cornish person going to exeter for the day would still tell you that he's going to england ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Emmmm.... this is a ehhhh... map of errrrrr...... filler words ummm..... used in ahhhh.... different uuuhhh..... countries.

EkmY868XUAAyTes?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You could replace that map with this one, making things a lot simpler:

Australian-mines-map.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's like they had one page and went from left to right but ran out of room for the North..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Map of the Harz Mountains region of North Central Germany.

Until the fall of the Iron Curtain these mountains straddled the militarized frontier of West versus East.

11417_elu0j011q0jflrnj.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

This is who mines the cobalt.
    2014611145555381893_8-e1489321737583.jpg

"This report documents the hazardous conditions in which artisanal miners, including thousands of children, mine cobalt in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It goes on to trace how this cobalt is used to power mobile phones, laptop computers, and other portable electronic devices. Using basic hand tools, miners dig out rocks from tunnels deep underground, and accidents are common. Despite the potentially fatal health effects of prolonged exposure to cobalt, adult and child miners work without even the most basic protective equipment"

https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/afr62/3183/2016/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Screenshot-2020-07-29-at-14.10.02.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Screenshot-2020-07-29-at-14.10.02.png

They don't seem too bothered about it in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

retalivity wrote: »
    For Donegal/Tyrconnell, Arranmore and Tory were not planted, in fact there wasnt much land planted west of Letterkenny, thats where all the Irish that remained after the flight of the earls were dispossessed to. Land is/was way too boggy and poor for the planters, so they never bothered with it. Similar story with Mid-derry/tyrone, and the glens of Antrim.
    Hence why it is also, still one of the strongest gaeltachts in the country (Donegal), and there is a strong Gael presence in the other areas as well.

Linguistic setup in Ulster in 1800.

dz71jgnzjgt51.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Linguistic setup in Ulster in 1800.

dz71jgnzjgt51.jpg

Why have they left out half of Cavan on that interesting map of Ulster? Do you have a link to the original (non Reddit) source of this map?

CaLM - Cavan language matters...

Also that inset map shows the Yola language area of the SE tip of Wexford, a language now largely overlooked by mainstream history.

Up Virginia, Bally Duff and Lavey.

Come on Cavan.

For the record I doubt there were any phuckers speaking Irish outside of Donegal before 1850. Just saying.

I am looking forward to some Tyronian and Armaghanian outrage now, but they know it's true. Even the druids up the Sperrins and in Carraig Mhor are speaking English the last few hundred years. Heathens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ulster Scots is a language? Hmmm. Let's see...

Dae A need a new aerial?
    Gin ye hae guid analogue reception the nou, ye'r like no tae need tae replace yer ruiftap or set-tap aerial for the cheenge-ower – thare nae sic thing as a 'deegital aerial'. But gin ye hae ill analogue reception the nou, ye’ll mebbe need tae replace it.
    Find oot by gaun til the aerial-pruifer on Teletext page 284. Anither wey is tae wait until efter the cheenge-ower for tae see if yer pictur's affect.

Doesn't compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The Ulster Scots Agency was only thrown into the GFA as a sop to belligerent Unionists who thought that giving Irish recognition was a concession for Nationalists.

I think the recognition of dialects and lingual difference is very important, however this was nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Why have they left out half of Cavan on that interesting map of Ulster? Do you have a link to the original (non Reddit) source of this map?

Sorry, I just saw it on Reddit.

IAMAMORON wrote:
    For the record I doubt there were any phuckers speaking Irish outside of Donegal before 1850. Just saying.

I think people spoke Irish in many places before 1850, it was after that they the areas away from the western seaboard were squeezed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Homo sapiens population density
    63wq41quopt51.png

Covid-19 is taking note and says thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

(found on Reddit)
    In 1973, 40 nodes connected 45 computers. This was the entire internet at the time. This chart was found in 2016 amongst some old papers

camfpeag2au51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Back then they had Imps, now we have Trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Nexytus wrote: »

Ok that surprised me ... In my head it was about the length of Britain .... And I pretty much did the length of NZ ,( not in one go though )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Its not even the same size as New Zealand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Nexytus wrote: »

That has me confused as fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Icaras wrote: »
    Its not even the same size as New Zealand!

That's just a case of the data frame of the image underneath being slightly different to the one being used by True Size.

If you rotate it slightly clockwise in your head you'll see it line up better.

Not sure what True Size uses and I'm on mobile so not able to properly check, but Google Maps (in)famously uses a WGS84-based projection called Web Mercator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_projection

True Size probably uses the same but there's a slight rotation in the data frame somewhere giving that effect.

(found on Reddit)
    In 1973, 40 nodes connected 45 computers. This was the entire internet at the time. This chart was found in 2016 amongst some old papers

Seeing the PDP references on that map brought back memories. A university library I worked in briefly in the mid 80's, had a small dedicated room to house a DEC PDP-11/40 mainframe computer to handle the library catalogue and the book lending system. One day there was a technician pulling it apart and apparently there had been a rare head crash involving one of the swapable disc packs which contained multiple hard disc platters. The drive the pack mounted to was about the size of a washing machine and a pack of multiple large discs only a storage capacity of a few tens of megabytes.

The tech kindly let me souvenier one of the disks from the damaged pack, which you can see here:

Hard-Disk-PDP11-40.jpg

This disc probably only held about a megabyte. The relatively tiny Micro SD card I have balanced on top of it could hold 1 TB. The mind boggles at how far things have come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I love the true size of. It's great to take Vatican City and move it around various places. It's actually smaller than the relatively small estate i'm living in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

63wq41quopt51.png
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Covid-19 is taking note and says thank you.

Way to go Seth, ya doingus !

Advertisement