Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know a Centenarian?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

My great grand uncle died there a few months back he just about made iit to 100. Didn't know him very well as he lived in Holland but did visit him a few times. Very easy going lad always cheerful, was driving an old 5 cylinder audi till well into his 90s only the last couple years he wasn't in great health and spent the last year in a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

My grandparents' next-door-neighbour was 100 when she died last year (quad bike accident). I hadn't seen her since she was a sprightly 95. At that stage, she was still single-handedly cooking Christmas dinner for her entire extended family every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No but I used to be friends with a centurion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

Grandmother died a few years ago at 103.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Was his name Naughtius Maximus? In the Jerusalem Garrison?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59,553 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

My maternal grandmother lived to be about 101-and-a-half and she smoked until her late 60's. Her husband died young, though, in his sixties. My paternal grandparents were early nineties when they died.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

cdeb wrote: »
    Was his name Naughtius Maximus? In the Jerusalem Garrison?

Omg yes, the very chap, were you friends or acquaintance s? Good lad, except for all the slaughtering.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

I had two relatives that lived to be 101 though they have passed away now.

My favourite thing is when someone really old is intereviewed on the news and asked what the secret is and they say something like "a double whiskey every night" or something that would go against all medical advice.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Grand aunt is 102 and still thriving. Glass of wine a day, some chocolate and a few sitting exercises is what she says is what has kept her going.

Asked enda kenney to give her a call on her 100th and he did. She has been a fg supporter all her life and liked his style of politics. For someone born in 1918 she has seen so much. Black and tans blew up her house because she refused to change the name of her shop to English. She is a legend in kerry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

.anon. wrote: »
    My grandparents' next-door-neighbour was 100 when she died last year (quad bike accident).
    :eek: Like a boss to the very end.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Grand aunt is 102 and still thriving. Glass of wine a day, some chocolate and a few sitting exercises is what she says is what has kept her going.

Asked enda kenney to give her a call on her 100th and he did. She has been a fg supporter all her life and liked his style of politics. For someone born in 1918 she has seen so much. Black and tans blew up her house because she refused to change the name of her shop to English. She is a legend in kerry

Absolutely a legend , she must have 4 or 5 years old when she bought that house , feckin' Black and Tans.

I can remember attending a funeral of a relative of my wife in about 1996 who fought in WW1, he was born in 1897.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

I’m very friendly with a woman who is 104. Lives independently, reads newspaper everyday, knows all current affairs and has opinions on all. Leo, Boris, Trump, Biden , Micheal etc. Her father was born in 1860. Imagine that. And when she was young, the elderly people had all lived during the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Was it the great Steve Smith of Australia's first XI?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

.anon. wrote: »
    My grandparents' next-door-neighbour was 100 when she died last year (quad bike accident). I hadn't seen her since she was a sprightly 95. At that stage, she was still single-handedly cooking Christmas dinner for her entire extended family every year.

What?? That seems like such a waste or something for such amazing biological longevity to ultimately succumb to preventable accident

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

My maternal grandmother lived to be about 101-and-a-half and she smoked until her late 60's. Her husband died young, though, in his sixties. My paternal grandparents were early nineties when they died.

Mad to think she lived another length of time almost as long as her husbands's lifepsan over again after he died

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I live in Roscommon and there are quite a few people in the local nursing homes who are over 100. But there's one guy who I see regularly (well when we weren't on lockdown) out for lunch. He goes out for lunch (dinner) each day with his nephew who seems to be his carer. When we were back to Level 3 in September I started seeing him out again when I was out for lunch. Good to see him out and about. He's going to 104 in January.

Advertisement