Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awkward money situation, not sure who should pay

Options
  • 16-01-2019 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Some of my family are going on holiday and had booked through an agent, I was living abroad when it was booked so hadn’t joined them.

I’m now living back in Ireland and my sister told me she doesn’t want to go on the holiday anymore so I offered to take her place as if love to go, and we agreed I'd take over the holiday payments.

However this is going to include a name change through Ryanair which usually costs €100. During a txt conversation she mentioned she’d let our cousin know that I was aware of these charges.

I am a bit taken aback that it seems she feels I have to pay the full €100.. considering she’s one the one leaving the holiday and I’m going in her place, shouldn’t we at least split the cost of any fees incurred due to the change? Or should I be the one to pay?

Normally I’d probably just ask upfront but it’s my sister and it feels awkward, so wondered what other people would think of a situation like this before I broach it with her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

To be honest if I were in her position I'd be happy to end up paying the €100 for the name change and not being stuck with losing my deposit + possibly cancellation fees.

If you split the €100 name change fee 50/50 I'd think you'd be more than fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Tell your sister it's cheaper for you to book a new flight than pay for the name-change.

Then book a new flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

So is your sister losing out in anyway? Youd said you "took over" the payments, so had she already contributed the deposit and you're paying the difference?

IMO, if shes getting all her money back then she should pay the €100, as changing your mind after booking the holiday was always going to cost her. Capping it at €100 is probably a good deal for her.

If she's already contributed to the deposit and you're not paying her back, then maybe you should absorb the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

Let me get this right. You will be enjoying the holiday but feel your sister should have to pay some money towards the costs of you going?

You haven't mentioned paying back any of the deposit she has already laid down and any payments already made - so i am going on the assumption you are not planning to do so and that she has already contributed some money. If thats not correct, please clarify.

So basically she would be subsiding your holiday more than she already has. Why should she? she is already out of pocket no?

If you went to travel agent and booked the holiday today what would you pay, VS what your are going to pay? I guess you are getting a sweet deal. If not book your own holiday and let your sister deal with her commitments.

But to expect her to pay (more than she has) for you going away .... go way out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Hi OP, I'm with Xterminator on this one.

If it were me I would view this as "the cost of my flight is the original amount + €100"

Expecting your sister to pay for something she's not going to use and you are going to get the benefit of is a bit selfish.

Has your sister paid and deposit and any installments? If so are you planning to give her that money back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

OP your in the wrong here and sounds like you belong in the stingy persons thread that's going on AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah, I don't see why she'd continue to pay anything towards a holiday she won't enjoy. Presumably she's eating the cost of her deposit. So, in the deposit's place, you can write off the €100. It seems like you're bending your brain to try get her to pay when there's no real reason to. She was a bit sneaky in not being direct with you about it and kinda assuming you'd pay when it's at least worth a conversation, but ultimately she's right so...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

IMO the person taking over the flight is expected to pay the fee but I suppose it could be negotiable but few facts required.

Who has paid what for this holiday? If your sister has been fully reimbursed by you it’s probably not the worst deal in the world to split it so she’s only losing €50 on a cancelled holiday. If you’re getting a heavily discounted holiday and your sister is already out of pocket, you pay it.

Is it a package or can you book the flight yourself for less?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

If the total cost of the holiday is X plus 100 for the name change, you should just pay X. Otherwise it would be cheaper to just book it yourself.

If your sister had already paid some of the cost them the above dies not apply

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Some of my family are going on holiday and had booked through an agent, I was living abroad when it was booked so hadn’t joined them.

I’m now living back in Ireland and my sister told me she doesn’t want to go on the holiday anymore so I offered to take her place as if love to go, and we agreed I'd take over the holiday payments.

However this is going to include a name change through Ryanair which usually costs €100. During a txt conversation she mentioned she’d let our cousin know that I was aware of these charges.

I am a bit taken aback that it seems she feels I have to pay the full €100.. considering she’s one the one leaving the holiday and I’m going in her place, shouldn’t we at least split the cost of any fees incurred due to the change? Or should I be the one to pay?

Normally I’d probably just ask upfront but it’s my sister and it feels awkward, so wondered what other people would think of a situation like this before I broach it with her.

By your logic, lets say for instance, your sister half paid for a ticket for say Funderland but didnt wanna go and you paid for the other half of the ticket you would expect her to pay for some of the rides in the theme park? :pac:

Some people baffle me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,790 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

OP, it's not clear from your post if you are paying some of the cost of the holiday, or if you are going to pay the full cost (refunding your sister what she has already paid and paying the balance) plus paying the name change. If whatever you are going to pay is going to cost you more than the holiday would otherwise cost then I think it would be unfair for you to be expected to take on all the cost.

If you are getting a good deal by only paying a portion of the cost, with your sister forgoing what she has already paid, then I think the €100 cost is yours.

If you can't afford it, then you need to tell your sister as soon as possible that you didn't realise the full cost, and you have to pull out because you can't afford it. Do it soon so as to give the option of cancelling altogether, or passing it on to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I think the OP needs to clarify whether he is paying full price for the holiday plus and extra 100 more than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think the OP needs to clarify whether he is paying full price for the holiday plus and extra 100 more than anyone else.

I made the assumption reading this and from the ops ire that he was paying in full for the place of his sister- but was being hit with the additional charge while the sister was getting fully reimbursed via him for her costs. Which would be very annoying. But we’d need the op to clarify that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I read this that the OP was paying the entire cost - refunding her sis - and now being lumped with the 100e name change fee.

I think the OP is fully within her rights to not pay the name change fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

road_high wrote: »
    I made the assumption reading this and from the ops ire that he was paying in full for the place of his sister- but was being hit with the additional charge while the sister was getting fully reimbursed via him for her costs. Which would be very annoying. But we’d need the op to clarify that
    paw patrol wrote: »
    I read this that the OP was paying the entire cost - refunding her sis - and now being lumped with the 100e name change fee.

I think the OP is fully within her rights to not pay the name change fee.

I have to say, I completely disagree. If I were in this situation I would never expect the person no longer going to pay out for a fee that allows me to use their space.

The OP didn't book with everyone else at the time and if they were to book separately by themselves now chances are the flight would be higher and they would be paying more anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,804 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think OP should pay the €100 purely because he is a hit and run poster who has left us 5 days with more questions than answers!

• Administrators Posts: 13,790 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Good point Calibos,

Nothing further can be added until/unless OP comes back to clarify. Thread locked. There has been plenty of opinion offered that may help OP.

OP, if you would like to reopen the thread to clarify and ask for further advice you can contact any of the moderators here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement