Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to avoid colds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Eat well, sleep well and stay away from toddlers.

Everything else is snake oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Djoucer wrote: »
    Of course it matters.

The vast amount of vitamin/supplements mentioned in this thread are a waste of money.

Particularly when mentioned in relation to colds.

Don't agree - if the act of taking a multivitamin puts somebody in a mindset whereby it benefits their health, then it doesn't matter if it's placebo or not.

In relation to echinacea, I have definitely found a benefit personally which I don't believe to be placebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't agree - if the act of taking a multivitamin puts somebody in a mindset whereby it benefits their health, then it doesn't matter if it's placebo or not.

Multivitamin supplements can do as much harm as good (According to studies). And I doubt it puts most people in a mindset where it benefits their health, on the contrary it probably gives most people a false sense that they can eat crap and get away with it because they're supplementing vitamins.
    In relation to echinacea, I have definitely found a benefit personally which I don't believe to be placebo.

That's kind of irrelevant. Humans are very bad at determining cause and effect from personal experimentation. The only way to know is with blinded trials and control groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

goat2 wrote:
    there are many strains of flu, and the flu jab only cover some, it is like a lottery

Had this debate with a buddy at work. It's effective 67% of the time. Not quite a lottery. I'll take those odds with pretty much no downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes, but. I suppose one of the goals of evidence-based enquiry is to base knowledge on general experience - the exact opposite of personal experience (sample of 1).

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Garlic in ones diet is good for the immune system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

That would explain why I'm invincible

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

IvoryTower wrote: »
    That would explain why I'm invincible

It didnt save me:mad:

5 days later and I might get out tomorrow for an easy run:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Plenty of sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

goat2 wrote: »
    there are many strains of flu, and the flu jab only cover some, it is like a lottery

A good bit better than a lottery to be fair. Every year 100’s of influenza reference centres send reports from their year round ‘flu surveillance to the WHO, who then collaborate with various world locations to advise on which strains should be included in their annual vaccine program. If I had that much help for the lotto I’d be taking my chances weekly.

Also, the placebo effect is very real - even if the actual drug/supplement is otherwise useless.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I had a constant runny nose untill I got the flu jab. Has not been runny since November.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Limpy wrote: »
    I had a constant runny nose untill I got the flu jab. Has not been runny since November.

Perfect example of the placebo effect!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Candamir wrote: »
    Perfect example of the placebo effect!! :D

The amount of people that confuse a head cold with the flu always amazes me.

mloc123 wrote: »

The amount of people that confuse a head cold with the flu always amazes me.

Aye totally. When you have a flu you won't be able to get out of the bed for a starter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

'I have a bit of a flu'

Lazare wrote: »
    'I have a bit of a flu'

Hot whiskey will sort you out, if the first one doesn't work, then have more till it goes or till you feel happy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It is supposed to be antiviral, I do find it good to have curries during flu season, it clear the lungs, and has a warming effect, but garlic is good to have also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

washing your hands frequently. Keep hydrated. Read once that we contract most colds/flus via our eyes, which we rub with dirty hands.

When I'm running a lot I take vitamins in the morning, then vitamins in the evening too. Sometimes between exercise and hydrating I felt like maybe I had weed out the morning vitamins by time evening came round. Having discussed this with my doc she said I was at worst having an expensive pee, but that if it worked for me there was no harm in it. Some might think it's all in my head, but I find it works for me.

I was also told once by a pharmacist that if you take anything long enough you will build up immunity to it also, so she recommended varying vitamins every 3months. I think she said a multivitamin for 3 months then switch to a zinc and vit c tablet.

yes Vitamin C and the likes are water soluble so you pee them out, Vitamin D, E and K say for example are oil soluble so you store them in the liver which is why too much can be toxic, though you'd need to be taking a shed load I think.

I've actually been taking L glutamine with some echinacea in the evening, not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I was also told once by a pharmacist that if you take anything long enough you will build up immunity to it also, so she recommended varying vitamins every 3months. I think she said a multivitamin for 3 months then switch to a zinc and vit c tablet.

That sounds like very suspect advice (the bit about building up immunity to anything). Are you sure this was a qualified pharmacist and not some "homeopathic" or "holistic" one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

It’s true. I’m now immune to orange juice so have to find an alternative vitamin C source.

Luckily, those nice supplement companies provide me with lots of expensive alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Stark wrote: »
    That sounds like very suspect advice (the bit about building up immunity to anything). Are you sure this was a qualified pharmacist and not some "homeopathic" or "holistic" one?

The Pharmacist was spot on. Tolerance can build up after continuous use of a medication. The receptors the drug binds to become desensitized to the presence of the drug & don't work as well, leading to less of the drug being up-taken.

As for their advice re. Vitamin tolerance, it's a new one to me. It doesn't make much sense. (Unless you're taking Pharmaton) The body will only absorb what it needs. Most people don't need a daily vitamin unless your Dr has told you about a deficiency after a blood test. There's no real harm in it though, at worse you'll have expensive wee!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Okay so to summarise, if you want to avoid a cold

avoid people
    get flu jab
    eat all the colours of the rainbow
    quality sleep
    dont have kids
    Echinacea
    multivitamin
    vit c
    vit d
    garlic
    zinc
    L glutamine
    cold shower every day
    carry hand sanitiser(and use it)
    low stress levels
    extra 30min sleep
    wash hands
    more sleep
    curries!
    Onions

Edit: onions added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Plenty of garlic and onions in your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

avoid people
    get flu jab
    quality sleep
    dont have kids
    Echinacea
    multivitamin
    vit c
    vit d
    garlic
    zinc
    L glutamine
    cold shower every day
    low stress levels
    extra 30min sleep
    wash hands
    more sleep
    curries!

And when you do get a cold you'll tell yourself it would have been worse if you hadn't been taking zinc tablets...

avoid people
    get flu jab
    quality sleep
    dont have kids
    Echinacea
    multivitamin
    vit c
    vit d
    garlic
    zinc
    L glutamine
    cold shower every day
    low stress levels
    extra 30min sleep
    wash hands
    more sleep
    curries!

Right off to the chemist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best cure for the cold is to wait it out. Works almost 100% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Murph_D wrote: »
    Best cure for the cold is to wait it out. Works almost 100% of the time.

Anecdotal evidence based on personal testimony doesn't produce such reliable numbers. At least 90% of statistics are made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

If all that doesnt work to prevent it - a big mug of grated ginger , garlic, honey, lemon and hot water will fix you right up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Hot whiskeys are great. After being flat out drinking them for 4 or 5 days your cold is gone and you can't remember having one

Advertisement