Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I replace my VF modem/router with this?

Options
  • 12-01-2019 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I would love to improve my lan and wifi speeds.
    I am currently with VF adsl, getting around 30-45 MB (at best) over wired Ethernet.

Am I able to replace the stock VF modem/router with one of these?

ASUS 114563 DSL-AC88U AC3100 Wi-Fi Gigabit Modem Router, G.fast/Vplus 35b/VDSL/Fibre/ADSL 2+, VDSL2, USB 3.0 for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, YouView, TalkTalk, EE and Plusnet Fibre) - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XWYYK32/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.PKoCbSR5TYM1

and if so, is this the best choice (or even worth it)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

BopperSnr wrote: »
    I would love to improve my lan and wifi speeds.
    I am currently with VF adsl, getting around 30-45 MB (at best) over wired Ethernet.

Am I able to replace the stock VF modem/router with one of these?

ASUS 114563 DSL-AC88U AC3100 Wi-Fi Gigabit Modem Router, G.fast/Vplus 35b/VDSL/Fibre/ADSL 2+, VDSL2, USB 3.0 for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, YouView, TalkTalk, EE and Plusnet Fibre) - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XWYYK32/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.PKoCbSR5TYM1

and if so, is this the best choice (or even worth it)?
    Well it will work but its massive overkill esp. with the near €250 price tag. The AC1200 for under €100 is perfect for your needs, also by Asus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016BWRBVG/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭dubrov

My understanding is that you will still need to keep the VF modem/router for the modem part. You can disable the router part and connect it to a new device to act as the router.

I'd be pretty sure that the bottleneck is the VF connection though and not the router. You could buy the best router in the world and it wouldn't make a difference.

Maybe, ring VF to see if there is anything that they can do from their end

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BopperSnr

advertsfox wrote: »
    Well it will work but its massive overkill esp. with the near €250 price tag. The AC1200 for under €100 is perfect for your needs, also by Asus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016BWRBVG/

You are right on it being overkill but I was also hoping to increase my WiFi range.

dubrov wrote: »
    My understanding is that you will still need to keep the VF modem/router for the modem part. You can disable the router part and connect it to a new device to act as the router.

I'd be pretty sure that the bottleneck is the VF connection though and not the router. You could buy the best router in the world and it wouldn't make a difference.

Maybe, ring VF to see if there is anything that they can do from their end

And that’s the big question. I was hoping to replace the VF modem/router totally. I would rather not have 2 boxes (VF modem and ASUS modem/router) taking up plug sockets, shelf space and also I wonder would adding another device / hop slow the speeds even more.

Anyone know for sure if I can replace the VF box completely with a 3rd party modem/router like the ASUS one?

And if so, Would anyone have all the passwords and settings needed to configure it?

And if so, Would anyone have all the passwords and settings needed to configure it?

I have setup Mikrotiks on VF's and used Wireshark on the existing stock unit to sniff out the PPPOE credentials.

• Advertisement

If its Wifi that you want to increase.

Why not put a unifi in https://amzn.to/2Hb1kix and turn of the radio on the stock unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Open Eir use a technology called g vectoring so you need one that supports exactly the technology they use. This limits your choices. See this thread for ones known to support it.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057632871/1/#post100620618

NoDrama wrote: »
    If its Wifi that you want to increase.

Why not put a unifi in https://amzn.to/2Hb1kix and turn of the radio on the stock unit.

Is this a WiFi hub, kinda like getting a decent router and putting the VF box in bridge mode.

What I really want is 2 things:
    - not having more network boxes (just have 1 modem / router . With the chance of improving speeds on the stock VF one.
    - decent WiFi speeds and coverage

NoDrama wrote: »
    I have setup Mikrotiks on VF's and used Wireshark on the existing stock unit to sniff out the PPPOE credentials.

What model Mikotiks do you have? Could anyone use the same credentials or are they specific to each home/device?
    Also i think I am adsl not Vdsl.

What model Mikotiks do you have? Could anyone use the same credentials or are they specific to each home/device?
    Also i think I am adsl not Vdsl.

The max speed on ADSL is 24mbit, you've already said you've faster. Login to your modem and read what it says

• Advertisement

Is this a WiFi hub, kinda like getting a decent router and putting the VF box in bridge mode.

What I really want is 2 things:
    - not having more network boxes (just have 1 modem / router . With the chance of improving speeds on the stock VF one.
    - decent WiFi speeds and coverage
    That AC1200 will be more than enough for WiFi / LAN speed improvements I assure you and you can replace the Vodafone router directly without the need to bridge the odd one.

The max speed on ADSL is 24mbit, you've already said you've faster. Login to your modem and read what it says

Ah ok, so I must be on vdsl so. I thought I was adsl since I am using the same line as comes for the phone. Just one white box on wall with a normal phone cable that has a splitter to the modem/router.
    Thanks for the advice . Do you happen to have the config details I need to set up the new modem/router to replace the VF one please?

That AC1200 will be more than enough for WiFi / LAN speed improvements I assure you and you can replace the Vodafone router directly without the need to bridge the odd one.

Sounds like a plan. Just need the config details and I can place the order for the AC1200.

Sounds like a plan. Just need the config details and I can place the order for the AC1200.
    There are generic ones, all depends if you are VDSL or ADSL2+ but the router will likely have templates for the ISPs, if not they are all over Boards as well so a quick search for vodafone@vodafone.ie should help you mate.

VDSL username is stored in your current router too, the serialnumber@vfiefttc.ie so will be easy to get from the interface.

Ah ok, so I must be on vdsl so. I thought I was adsl since I am using the same line as comes for the phone. Just one white box on wall with a normal phone cable that has a splitter to the modem/router.
    Thanks for the advice . Do you happen to have the config details I need to set up the new modem/router to replace the VF one please?

That to me says something. Why are you using filters? Do you have a master socket with built in filters (NTU)? Or just a standard Eircom single phone socket and filters? For VDSL when installed they always fit a new master socket which means you no longer need filters and splitters, it's split at the socket

You really need to clear this up as this could be very important, if You've VDSL without a proper NTU it could be a huge issue.

That to me says something. Why are you using filters? Do you have a master socket with built in filters (NTU)? Or just a standard Eircom single phone socket and filters? For VDSL when installed they always fit a new master socket which means you no longer need filters and splitters, it's split at the socket

You really need to clear this up as this could be very important, if You've VDSL without a proper NTU it could be a huge issue.
    Actually I think I am good. See attached photo of socket.

There are generic ones, all depends if you are VDSL or ADSL2+ but the router will likely have templates for the ISPs, if not they are all over Boards as well so a quick search for vodafone@vodafone.ie should help you mate.

VDSL username is stored in your current router too, the serialnumber@vfiefttc.ie so will be easy to get from the interface.

Cheers. This modem/router is down in the other thread as working as a replacement to the VF one so will get this as it has faster speeds.
    NETGEAR D7000-200UKS Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band 600 + 1300 Mbps Wireless (Wi-Fi) VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, YouView, TalkTalk, EE and Plusnet Fibre) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074QMGFNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8VWoCbB2P7H65

Cheers. This modem/router is down in the other thread as working as a replacement to the VF one so will get this as it has faster speeds.
    NETGEAR D7000-200UKS Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band 600 + 1300 Mbps Wireless (Wi-Fi) VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, YouView, TalkTalk, EE and Plusnet Fibre) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074QMGFNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8VWoCbB2P7H65
    That's a good router but I can also recommend the TP-Link Archers, I ran this one with a VDSL Eir connection for 2 years without an issue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connections-UK-Archer-VR900-V2/dp/B01N2LSLMH/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Vodafone VDSL is:

VLan: 10
    Username: [vodafone modem serial number]@vfiefttc.ie
    Password: broadband

The router needs support for 17a vectoring to get the maximum out of the line. Supervectoring and G.Fast have not been implemented in Ireland.

And no, you don't need to keep the Vodafone router as modem.

That ASUS router above should do that, no problem.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Vodafone VDSL is:

VLan: 10
    Username: [vodafone modem serial number]@vfiefttc.ie
    Password: broadband

The router needs support for 17a vectoring to get the maximum out of the line. Supervectoring and G.Fast have not been implemented in Ireland.

And no, you don't need to keep the Vodafone router as modem.

That ASUS router above should do that, no problem.

/M

Fantastic info from all. Thanks folks.

• Advertisement

Fantastic info from all. Thanks folks.
    Each of those routers are very similar, TP-Link supports the required protocol for Vodafone VDSL so you can't lose.

VDSL2 Standards
    TU G.993.2, Up to 17a profile (POTS)
    ITU-T G.993.5 (G.vector)
    ITU-T G.998.4 (G.INP)

Each of those routers are very similar, TP-Link supports the required protocol for Vodafone VDSL so you can't lose.

With TP-Link you've got to be very very very careful. Because they didn't implement the capability for VLan tagging until very recently.

Otherwise they're fine.

/M

With TP-Link you've got to be very very very careful. Because they didn't implement the capability for VLan tagging until very recently.

Otherwise they're fine.

/M

VLan tagging concern - Does that mean that the tp-link modem/router MAY not work as a replacement for the VF modem/router? Or do I need to be careful / concerned about something else?

VLan tagging concern - Does that mean that the tp-link modem/router MAY not work as a replacement for the VF modem/router? Or do I need to be careful / concerned about something else?

If it doesn't support the Vlan tagging it won't work on VDSL in Ireland.

/M

If it doesn't support the Vlan tagging it won't work on VDSL in Ireland.

/M

Ok but since someone else on this thread confirmed this model of TP-Link does work on VF vdsl, then it looks like it should work. Fingers crossed. Glad I asked the question.

It will work, it's a firmware update basically. Mine from 3 years ago worked with Eir VDSL without a hiccup and is currently running on a Vodafone connection in my brothers.

It will work, it's a firmware update basically. Mine from 3 years ago worked with Eir VDSL without a hiccup and is currently running on a Vodafone connection in my brothers.

So I should put the VF on bridge mode to the new TP-Link box and update the TP-Link firmware before I remove the VF box completely?

So I should put the VF on bridge mode to the new TP-Link box and update the TP-Link firmware before I remove the VF box completely?

Remove the Vodafone router completely. No point keeping that interfering in between. Waste of power, too. You now have a new doorstop.

/M

Remove the Vodafone router completely. No point keeping that interfering in between. Waste of power, too. You now have a new doorstop.

/M

Sure but before I toss the VF box, hows the best way to update the TP-Link firmware. If I plug it in straight away it may not work due to not having vlan tagging , right?

• Advertisement

Sure but before I toss the VF box, hows the best way to update the TP-Link firmware. If I plug it in straight away it may not work due to not having vlan tagging , right?

It'll be in their website. The router doesn't need to be online to update the firmware.

Advertisement