Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking land and census records

Options
  • 18-03-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello, I am a long time reader. I am working a project to trace forward the occupants of a number of townslands in county limerick from the tithe records through land and tenure books to griffiths, cancelled books and the census.

I have the source information gathered and have linked most of the family lines already with the help of my local knowledge and contacts.

I am asking for help /ideas on how to present the results and also if anyone here or elsewhere has run a similar exercise -I would welcome the opportunity to share ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Sounds like an interesting project. To whom are you presenting the results? Is it in a lecture, written format, website?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cragaun

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Sounds like an interesting project. To whom are you presenting the results? Is it in a lecture, written format, website?

There are a few purposes, one to maintain a database by townsland that is easily searched and has a common reference field that links individual properties forward and backwards while allowing for these properties being split up or joined together (eg an acre taken from a farm property in 1890s to build a cottage).
    The cancelled books along with land and tenure books have solved a number of sequencing gaps in my wider family so I want to keep a useful record when I have worked through a holding and ultimately the local area.

One output is to create a report by holding to put up at the location of each property for a historical walk taking place in the area this summer.

Another output which could take a similar form,perhaps more detailed, is to easily generate a report for descendants.

All ideas and thoughts are welcome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think a website which is map based would be best. Look at the way the Ordnance Survey allows you to flip between versions. If you plot each property in outline, then when the user clicked, they could see a timeline linked to records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement