Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family Tree Maker 2017 file conversion

• 14-03-2018 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

I purchased a MacKiev Family Tree Maker 2017 to install on a new PC. I was hoping to transfer Family Tree Maker 2006 files from my old PC. However, I just can't get this done. I have followed all the instructions to the letter and I've had a chat session with a technical support advisor but I'm still as far back as I was when I started. The advisor told me that there was nothing else she could do for me online and that I could, if I wanted to, send the file to them and they would see if anything could be done. I don't particularly want to send on my private information if I can help it.
    Has anybody had a similar experience and, if so, how did they deal with it?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Could you create a smaller mock family tree using FTM 2006 to send to them to at least establish whether they can resolve the issue?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Firstly make sure that you have your files backed up on a separate hard drive.

I wonder did you install the new program on the new laptop and then migrate the data? I’d try installing the update on the old one and then migrating all to the new. If that did not work ask FTM if you could uninstall the recent version and have them send you another, a 'new' program rather than an update. It's possible that Mackiev has a security key installed and it is working as it believes that the program is being copied.

Should all that fail I would send them the file on the basis that they delete it once the problem is resolved. While they are not registered with the Data Protection Commissioner (Eneclann is but others appear not to be) firms such as Mackiev depend on trust and any data breach would have significant reputational risk for them.

FWIW I too am not fully satisfied with the recent FTM version - when opening a file I periodically (and incorrectly) get a reminder that ‘this is an old version and is it backed up’ or the file ‘was improperly closed and needs to be compacted’. Also I periodically get browser problems - I use Firefox but for some reason FTM defaults to Microsoft for connection with Familysearch.

Advertisement