Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tracing relative in USA

• 22-02-2018 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello all.

I'm new here.
    I am probably looking at a needle in a haystack but I am looking for pointers at how to trace my dad's brother who went to the USA in the 60s and over time lost touch with his family.
    All I have is his Irish birth certificate and I know that he was incarcerated in New York some time after going there for minor crimes and was released but unfortunately I have no last address or the prison he was in.
    My dad has since passed and had very vague information and there is no other living relative bar myself and my siblings but since we were born in the 80s we never met our uncle.
    I tried putting his name and DOB into a Google search but yielded nothing and he has quite a common name on Facebook search.
    Any advice would be welcome!
    Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Welcome!

Do you think your uncle is likely to be still alive?
    It is unfortunately against our charter to discuss finding living people, as they may not wish to be found.

However, I will make some general suggestions.

Have a read of this thread by our resident US genealogy expert.

Ancestry.com & newspapers are going to be the 2 most useful genealogical resources. If you think he's likely to be alive still, I throw Facebook into the mix.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

If he went to the US over 50 years ago he may not be alive. If you have a subscription to Ancestry.com you can search the following records:

The US Social Security Death Index is a good place to start as it contains details on all deceased residents in the US who had social security numbers between 1935-2014.

More information may be available on the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 - this sometimes records date of birth and parents

If he served in the military you can search U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010

You may be able to find him by searching U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Solid advice from above. First question when NY is mentioned is do you mean the city or somewhere in the state?

This database has all who were incarcerated in NY state prisons since the early 1970s. However, he may have been in a county or federal jail. This federal database begins in 1982.

There are lots of websites, both free and for payment, that focus on selling/providing information for those in the U.S. from the last 20-30 years. I'm not going to list any here but a concentrated Google search will provide you with examples.

You can also try NYC marriage indexes from 1950-1995.

If you think he may have bought a house/property in NYC, then there is also a deeds database dating from the 60s.

Let us know if you find anything. Curious to see if such research can be fruitful when you are starting with a small amount of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

When living in NYC even driving past Rikers Island used to give me the shudders! Several correctional facilities have opened/closed since the 1960's so on-line records might have 'holes'. I would not underestimate the value of newspaper research - if the crimes warranted a custodial sentence it is probable that the local dailies would cover his 'nefarious deeds'!

(Great to see you posting again Coolnabacky)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Newspapers from New York and other states can be searched here http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

NYS Historic Newspapers is another great website for New York newspapers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pleased to Meet You

Thanks x
    I will sit down with these suggestions, I would never have known about these sites.
    I'll come back at a later stage when I have exhausted these avenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pleased to Meet You

Solid advice from above. First question when NY is mentioned is do you mean the city or somewhere in the state?

has all who were incarcerated in NY state prisons since the early 1970s. However, he may have been in a county or federal jail. database begins in 1982.

Do you know of anything starting in the 60s, which I think might be relevant here?

Advertisement